+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Starting line up for Burton

Starting line up for Burton

Having see the pre season games at Taffs Well, Plymouth, Shrewsbury and last night, I think 9 of our starting positions are pretty much nailed on. The goalkeeping spot going to Etheridge. The biggest concern appears to be the RB slot. Paterson injured, Connelly walked off the pitch at Plymouth and hasn't kicked a ball since, Peltier wasn't named in the squad last night (I presume because of a recurrence of his injury), and Richards short of pre season action and bizarrely used as a sub at right midfield last night! First half saw Halford play that role who was steady and Manga second half who put in some delightful crosses as well as his goal. Hard to comment on either defensively as both had next to nothing to do! The centre backs will pick themselves as despite a lot of fans favouring a Manga/Bamba partnership I thought they were all over the place in the second half at Shrewsbury particularly Manga. Morrison, Bamber and Bennett I feel will start for sure.

Mandez-Long who has a lot of minutes under his belt will occupy the RM slot and Gunners and Ralls CM. The LM slot is the other debatable position. Hoilet had his first run out last night and despite his goal didn't appear upto speed to me. Harris went off injured. Tomlin could play the role if we went 4-4-2 with Ward and Ken up front, but I share our managers concerns about Tomlin not being upto the defensive aspect of a LM role. Kennedy has had an impressive pre season but I expect Warnock to push Ward out to LM, despite his first goals last night. This would then free Tomlin up to play the number 10 role with Ken up top. Therefore I expect us to line up in a 4411 formation as follows:

GK - Etheridge

RB - Manga (Peltier - if he recovers in the week)
    CB - Morrison
    CB - Bamba
    LB - Bennett

RM - Mendez-Lang
    CM - Gunners
    CM - Ralls
    LM - Ward

F - Tomlin

F - King Kenny

Re: Starting line up for Burton

I think you've pretty much got it there, although I reckon Hoillet will start instead of Ward.

Pity last nights opposition were so poor. I really think we could have done with a test against at least a side on a par with us to determine where we stand.

I thought Morrison was faultless, Manga excellent at right back, Ward a handful and Hoillet too, but was that down to what they were up against ?

Plymouth certainly looked better

Hoilet not up to speed??? I thought that last night this was the hoilet that was a vast improvement to last season

Cheers. I think the standard of the opposition has certainly been debatable. The cancellation of the Pompey game (what were the odds of pulling them in the cup!) has no doubt hampered our preparations. In most of the games our goalkeepers have had next to nothing to do. We just have to trust Warnock knows what he's doing, after all he's got a few pre season's under his belt! I assumed their number 10 was one of the Livingston players Warnock was looking at as although they were limited as a team he was by far their best player and looked technically very good on the night showing some good close control when he had the opportunities to get on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Hoilet not up to speed??? I thought that last night this was the hoilet that was a vast improvement to last season
    Each to their own, I didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    So did I took on his man and produced loads of quality crosses unlike Harris and Mendez-Lang, Harris never seems to try and go past his man on the outside and Clubber Lang shows plenty of running but never delivers anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    So did I took on his man and produced loads of quality crosses unlike Harris and Mendez-Lang, Harris never seems to try and go past his man on the outside and Clubber Lang shows plenty of running but never delivers anything.
    All about opinions. I believe Mendez-Lang has shown more than enough during pre-season, including scoring a few goals to guarantee his starting place come next Saturday. With regards the LM slot I feel Warnock will opt for the industry and power Ward will provide in that position over Hoillet or Harris neither of which offer much defensively which is a trait Warnock likes particularly if Burton have an attacking right midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I think you've pretty much got it there, although I reckon Hoillet will start instead of Ward.

Pity last nights opposition were so poor. I really think we could have done with a test against at least a side on a par with us to determine where we stand.

I thought Morrison was faultless, Manga excellent at right back, Ward a handful and Hoillet too, but was that down to what they were up against ?

Plymouth certainly looked better
    yeah id go with that too mate
    quite confidant about next Saturday