+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: BLITZ: The Bombs that changed Britain (last night BBC 2) What:-----

BLITZ: The Bombs that changed Britain (last night BBC 2) What:-----

What an interesting and informative programme.

I have always thought (because that's what we were taught/told), that Aneurin Bevan, was the instigator/father of the National Health Service.

But watching this programme, the first seeds/ideas where the brainchild of a Micky Davies (micky the midget, their description not mine), an optician from the East End of London.

His involvement with the bombed out people of London, giving them FREE treatment was carried on by a Government appointed man, Henry Willink (a tory).

I wonder how history would look if, Churchill and his government, were not voted out after the war.

Great and very sad programme.

Re: BLITZ: The Bombs that changed Britain (last night BBC 2) What:-----

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

I have always thought (because that's what we were taught/told), that Aneurin Bevan, was the instigator/father of the National Health Service.

But watching this programme, the first seeds/ideas where the brainchild of a Micky Davies (micky the midget, their description not mine), an optician from the East End of London.

His involvement with the bombed out people of London, giving them FREE treatment was carried on by a Government appointed man, Henry Willink (a tory).

I wonder how history would look if, Churchill and his government, were not voted out after the war.

It wasn't carried out by the Tory government of the time , they voted against it three times

Bevan created the NHS

It must have been an awful time , all the major UK cities were affected by the blitz, Coventry was flattened

My father was originally from Birmingham , a bomb wiped out much of his extended family , my father's brother , who was too young to fight , lied about his age to join the RAF

But he was killed at the age of 19 when the sterling bomber he was training in , he was a rear gunner , crash landed in Staffordshire

I am sure many other posters have stories about this time

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It wasn't carried out by the Tory government of the time , they voted against it three times

Bevan created the NHS

It must have been an awful time , all the major UK cities were affected by the blitz, Coventry was flattened

My father was originally from Birmingham , a bomb wiped out much of his extended family , my father's brother , who was too young to fight , lied about his age to join the RAF

But he was killed at the age of 19 when the sterling bomber he was training in , he was a rear gunner , crash landed in Staffordshire

I am sure many other posters have stories about this time
    S9mething I never got is whenever I see any programmes on the 2nd world war in Britain they only usually talk about London yet from the little I learned in school the Midlands was the most effected area but is rarely mentioned in the same breath as the London blitz

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    S9mething I never got is whenever I see any programmes on the 2nd world war in Britain they only usually talk about London yet from the little I learned in school the Midlands was the most effected area but is rarely mentioned in the same breath as the London blitz
    About HULL next week

About HULL next week

Can you pay on the night to watch

I don't remember the Blitz, but I clearly remember the aftermath.

We lived in Portsmouth which got a right seeing-to as the German's targeted the Dockyard. Much of the city was pock-marked with huge holes strewn with bricks and rubble and which nature tried to reclaim with weeds and nettles. As kids, played on these sites, sliding down mountains of debris and playing soldiers in the tunnels. Anti-aircraft siren practices were the norm. Most of the old terraces of Pompey had new builds where the original houses had been hit by land mines. A close family member was killed during a raid one night. I got his death certificate recently. What it didn't say was that all they found of him was a foot.

From what I've read, although there was some bombing of Cardiff (mainly in Adamsdown??), it largely escaped the worst of the Blitz - though if I'm wrong, someone will correct me....

i think i watch that on the iplayer tonight , cheers Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I don't remember the Blitz, but I clearly remember the aftermath.

We lived in Portsmouth which got a right seeing-to as the German's targeted the Dockyard. Much of the city was pock-marked with huge holes strewn with bricks and rubble and which nature tried to reclaim with weeds and nettles. As kids, played on these sites, sliding down mountains of debris and playing soldiers in the tunnels. Anti-aircraft siren practices were the norm. Most of the old terraces of Pompey had new builds where the original houses had been hit by land mines. A close family member was killed during a raid one night. I got his death certificate recently. What it didn't say was that all they found of him was a foot.

From what I've read, although there was some bombing of Cardiff (mainly in Adamsdown??), it largely escaped the worst of the Blitz - though if I'm wrong, someone will correct me....
    That's correct , Swansea took a hammering out of the south Wales ports

Pompey , like Coventry was seriously damaged

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    The industrial cities and ports outside London took a hammering , the Nazis knew what they were doing

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    That's correct , Swansea took a hammering out of the south Wales ports

Pompey , like Coventry was seriously damaged
    They say it’s never recovered