+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our striking dilemma

Our striking dilemma

Just a few stats:

Robert Glatzel:
    Goals when starting - 4 (0.18 per start)
    Goals as substitute - 3 (0.5 per sub)

Callum Paterson:
    Goals when starting - 6 (0.29 per start)
    Goals as substitute - 1 (0.06 per sub)

Danny Ward:
    Goals when starting - 2 (0.2 per start)
    Goals as substitute - 5 (0.31 per sub)

In addition Bogle and Vassell both scored as substitutes but not as a starter.

That means, in total, our strikers have scored 12 goals from a place in the starting line up and 11 as substitutes. Given that substitute appearances might last, what, 15-20 minutes, substitute strikers enjoy greater fruits playing against tired defenders. It's not difficult to make a case for saying we haven't really got a striker of the quality you'd expect from a top 6 side. Generally they cost money, unfortunately.

Since the lockdown, there's been an understandable clamour for Glatzel to start. Paterson has scored once in nine games and looked lost at times today, but his hard work and knackering of opposition defenders means the likes of Glatzel and Ward profit later on. He's also the most likely striker to score when starting a game, even if he's not the most natural of forwards and certainly hasn't got the skills needed!

Whether we go up or not, Harris has to be shrewd in bringing in a couple of quality strikers for peanuts (good luck there). The Paterson project works to a point, but that style of game is one we're moving away from. Glatzel makes a good sub. Ward is off by all accounts. It's almost 10 years since Bothroyd and Chopra left. We've never replaced them.

Re: Our striking dilemma

30 minutes Paterson
    30 minutes ward
    30 minutes Glatzel

Increased chance of scoring drastically. All sorted

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Just a few stats:

Robert Glatzel:
    Goals when starting - 4 (0.18 per start)
    Goals as substitute - 3 (0.5 per sub)

Callum Paterson:
    Goals when starting - 6 (0.29 per start)
    Goals as substitute - 1 (0.06 per sub)

Danny Ward:
    Goals when starting - 2 (0.2 per start)
    Goals as substitute - 5 (0.31 per sub)

In addition Bogle and Vassell both scored as substitutes but not as a starter.

That means, in total, our strikers have scored 12 goals from a place in the starting line up and 11 as substitutes. Given that substitute appearances might last, what, 15-20 minutes, substitute strikers enjoy greater fruits playing against tired defenders. It's not difficult to make a case for saying we haven't really got a striker of the quality you'd expect from a top 6 side. Generally they cost money, unfortunately.

Since the lockdown, there's been an understandable clamour for Glatzel to start. Paterson has scored once in nine games and looked lost at times today, but his hard work and knackering of opposition defenders means the likes of Glatzel and Ward profit later on. He's also the most likely striker to score when starting a game, even if he's not the most natural of forwards and certainly hasn't got the skills needed!

Whether we go up or not, Harris has to be shrewd in bringing in a couple of quality strikers for peanuts (good luck there). The Paterson project works to a point, but that style of game is one we're moving away from. Glatzel makes a good sub. Ward is off by all accounts. It's almost 10 years since Bothroyd and Chopra left. We've never replaced them.
    We're seeing a bit of structure and meaningful play under Harris, it looks as if he knows what he wants individuals to do. There's a system. Fullbacks are supporting and getting forward and midfielders are allowed to press and make those little advanced runs in the final third, we're getting organised at the back and the midfield are tight, the only issue is the strikers, Harris doesn't have a lot to work with in terms of complimenting his style. I can see a young lower division prospect coming in, a player with a good attitude and work rate (obviously some ability) I don't think that he fancies Glatzel and i reckon that he could be on his way at the end of this season. Harris has won me over and i'm beginning to trust him, it will be very interesting to see who he goes for,

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    We're seeing a bit of structure and meaningful play under Harris, it looks as if he knows what he wants individuals to do. There's a system. Fullbacks are supporting and getting forward and midfielders are allowed to press and make those little advanced runs in the final third, we're getting organised at the back and the midfield are tight, the only issue is the strikers, Harris doesn't have a lot to work with in terms of complimenting his style. I can see a young lower division prospect coming in, a player with a good attitude and work rate (obviously some ability) I don't think that he fancies Glatzel and i reckon that he could be on his way at the end of this season. Harris has won me over and i'm beginning to trust him, it will be very interesting to see who he goes for,
    That's pretty much what I've been thinking. Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    That's pretty much what I've been thinking. Good post.
    I'm going to take a look at lower league strikers and see what's about-maybe start a few rumours on here..... Can't see Harris going continental, although who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Agree with the sentiments but Harris needs to be bold with his team selection on the final few games.
    Against both Charlton and Bristol City it shows that poor teams can still get something if they frustrate us for long enough. Today we got our just rewards but Patterson up front is not working in my opinion.
    If we want to punish the opposition I think Harris needs to find room for Tomlin and either Glatzel or Ward.
    In addition give Murphy a run out.NML didn’t look good today and Adomah is gone so try a wide player who has the ability to create something.
    Patterson is a handy sub to bring on to close a midfield battle or as an extra defender. He is not a striker

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Agree with the sentiments but Harris needs to be bold with his team selection on the final few games.
    Against both Charlton and Bristol City it shows that poor teams can still get something if they frustrate us for long enough. Today we got our just rewards but Patterson up front is not working in my opinion.
    If we want to punish the opposition I think Harris needs to find room for Tomlin and either Glatzel or Ward.
    In addition give Murphy a run out.NML didn’t look good today and Adomah is gone so try a wide player who has the ability to create something.
    Patterson is a handy sub to bring on to close a midfield battle or as an extra defender. He is not a striker
    I don't disagree about Paterson not working, but as a starter, he's the best we have. Ward and Glatzel as starters don't provide the goods.

I've had a look at the number of games (and percentages) where Ward, Glatzel and Paterson have started and we've won. It's quite interesting.

Win percentages when they start:

Ward 10%
    Glatzel 23%
    Paterson 48%

The Ward one is a bit unusual, in that he got sent off against Birmingham!

Its a shame Glatzel was injured as his confidence seemed up at last. For me Ward has disappointed every time he has started.

Patterson is what he is, at the moment our only real option.