+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ward goal.

The Ward goal.

Aside from being so vital was one of the best we have seen for a while.
    Technically perfect, a first time touch, instinctive and from a player who had only just come on.

It also shows what goal scorers can do when the ball is on the ground and in they can run onto it.

Re: The Ward goal.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Technically perfect, a first time touch, instinctive and from a player who had only just come on.

It also shows what goal scorers can do when the ball is on the ground and in they can run onto it.
    Why haven't we offered him a contract extension for another season? Seems like an odd one, I know he is prone to injuries but he has scored some vital goals for us.
    Surely this would be the cheapest and best option over paying to bring another striker in? I think he is great back up.

International

The club are in negotiations with him to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The club are in negotiations with him to stay.
    Didn’t sound that way when Harris spoke about it yesterday. Sounds like Tan / Dalman has pulled the pin on dishing out any new contracts.

His header at fulham a couple of years ago was quality

International

I thought Harris said earlier that they were in talks with him. I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I thought Harris said earlier that they were in talks with him. I hope so.
    He said live on Sky that Mehmet has been open and honest and any contract negotiations will have to wait until the end of the season once we see where we are as a football club. The purse is well and truly shut.

International

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He said live on Sky that Mehmet has been open and honest and any contract negotiations will have to wait until the end of the season once we see where we are as a football club. The purse is well and truly shut.
    Sounds like my wife's. lol

It’s a strange one.
    If he goes, it’s surely going to cost quite a bit to bring someone else in.

They’re going to cut the budget for next season, and if we go up I imagine we will look to bring in better players. Ward and some squad players etc going will be the price to keep most of the starting xi together I guess

I like him but he has his injuries, cant really rely on him bring fit. Patterson and Glazel ahead of him, i guess we will go with someone younger as 3rd choice

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I like him but he has his injuries, cant really rely on him bring fit. Patterson and Glazel ahead of him, i guess we will go with someone younger as 3rd choice
    Paterson works hard but doesn't have a clue what he is meant to be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Dont disagree but Harris is the manager and clearly prefers Patterson.

He thinks he does though. Threw a strop when he got substituted yesterday. Looked very daft when his replacement bags the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Dont disagree but Harris is the manager and clearly prefers Patterson.
    Statistically I can understand why. Paterson is our most likely source of goals as a starter, plus his work rate means others benefit later. It's not great, but there aren't many alternatives.

One interesting stat. If you take Paterson's goals out of the equation, 6 of the 36 goals scored by players who have started a game for us this season have come from strikers. That's pretty dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    I thought it was a lucky fluke. The way he hit it, it could have gone anywhere. But it was great to see it squeeze in.

Please don't start with Ward on Tuesday, Neil!

Danny Ward is a super sub but every time he’s started he looked awful. We can’t get the ball to the strikers feet for the first 70 mins as we rely on just out-fitnessing the opposition.

He is not the answer to all our issues if we continue to play the way we do as he’s not as athletic as Pato and not as good a finisher as Glatzel.

Bringing DW on at 70’ is what it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Statistically I can understand why. Paterson is our most likely source of goals as a starter, plus his work rate means others benefit later. It's not great, but there aren't many alternatives.

One interesting stat. If you take Paterson's goals out of the equation, 6 of the 36 goals scored by players who have started a game for us this season have come from strikers. That's pretty dreadful.
    Paterson for me is so underrated in what he does. Particularly when the CBs are not quick on the ball. He’s not there to score goals he’s there to open up space, push teams back, force them into early decisions. He presses so well that he does the job of 2 when we don’t have the ball. Bobby Firminho doesn’t need to score every game as the goals come from the wing and midfield.

We’re not set up to use a out and out strikers. The way we play it’s not a major issue that Pato doesn’t score so long as the midfield pushes up straight away. The problem is no one except Hoilett can strike a ball well.

He’s not a striker. Agreed but we wouldn’t be where we are without him.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Paterson for me is so underrated in what he does. Particularly when the CBs are not quick on the ball. He’s not there to score goals he’s there to open up space, push teams back, force them into early decisions. He presses so well that he does the job of 2 when we don’t have the ball. Bobby Firminho doesn’t need to score every game as the goals come from the wing and midfield.

We’re not set up to use a out and out strikers. The way we play it’s not a major issue that Pato doesn’t score so long as the midfield pushes up straight away. The problem is no one except Hoilett can strike a ball well.

He’s not a striker. Agreed but we wouldn’t be where we are without him.
    ^^sensible post

By the way, Ward goal sublime. He's playing his part.

Quote Originally Posted by mbatte View Post
    Why haven't we offered him a contract extension for another season? Seems like an odd one, I know he is prone to injuries but he has scored some vital goals for us.
    Surely this would be the cheapest and best option over paying to bring another striker in? I think he is great back up.
    Saw a comment off NML to ward on Instagram along the lines of "sign it" the other day. Maybe we have offered him a deal?

Read Harris comments on BBC. "Ward scores because of the hard work put in for 79 minutes by Callum"

More like they knew where the previous striker was running (or not) and got caught off guard when his replacement ran like a striker does into a position strikers do.

This battering ram theory is winding me up.

Ward scores because of striker instincts. Get ****ed.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Danny Ward is a super sub but every time he’s started he looked awful. We can’t get the ball to the strikers feet for the first 70 mins as we rely on just out-fitnessing the opposition.

He is not the answer to all our issues if we continue to play the way we do as he’s not as athletic as Pato and not as good a finisher as Glatzel.

Bringing DW on at 70’ is what it should be.
    Not as athletic as Pato and not as good a finisher as Glatzel is very debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Not as athletic as Pato and not as good a finisher as Glatzel is very debatable.
    Pato turns like a container ship.

Didn’t sound that way when Harris spoke about it yesterday. Sounds like Tan / Dalman has pulled the pin on dishing out any new contracts.
    Or plug perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    ^^sensible post

By the way, Ward goal sublime. He's playing his part.
    I heard on a podcast last night that Firmino hasn't scored a home goal all season!

EDIT: Was actually replying to WJ99