+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Striker stats

Striker stats

The Glatzel/Paterson/Ward debate shows little sign of easing. I was delighted to see Glatzel get on the scoresheet tonight even though I didn't think he was that convincing up front. I also don't think any of them are the answer looking ahead to next season.

All stats calculated from whoscored.com.

Goals per shot percentage: Glatzel - 15.2%, Paterson - 16.7%, Ward - 20.7%. I think that's relatively fair. Ward is our best finisher, don't think many will argue against that. Our second best finisher is Joe Ralls. Hoilett, M-L, Tomlin have much worse stats than Glatzel. What might be interesting is that Mitrovic at Fulham has a goals per shot percentage of 16.5%, though he has had 139 attempts at goal. Between them (before tonight), Glatzel/Ward/Paterson managed 106.

Average time between shots (mins): Glatzel - 33, Paterson - 57, Ward - 29. Ward has been used mainly as a substitute, so you'd expect him to have more attempts at goal later on in games. It does demonstrate that Paterson isn't a striker with a knack of being in the right position. Again, don't think anyone would argue differently! Paterson is also less likely to have an attempt on goal from inside the box than either Ward or Glatzel.

Bad touches per 90 mins: Glatzel - 3.6, Paterson - 2.2, Ward - 2.8. Mitrovic stands at 3.5 per game, but that's purely due to the level of involvement he has in games. That's not to suggest Glatzel is more involved in City games than Paterson or Ward mind. It's an area of his game he needs to improve. He's got the worst first touch at the club of all first team regulars.

Being dispossessed per 90 mins: Glatzel - 2.3, Paterson - 0.7, Ward - 1.1. Ball retention isn't Glatzel's strength. It certainly is Paterson's.

Aerial battles won/lost percentage: Glatzel - 35%/65%, Paterson - 43%/57%, Ward - 32%/68%. Again, no surprises there!

Short passing accuracy: Glatzel - 59.4%, Paterson - 47.4%, Ward - 63.1%.

Over to you to discuss!

Smile Re: Striker stats

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The Glatzel/Paterson/Ward debate shows little sign of easing. I was delighted to see Glatzel get on the scoresheet tonight even though I didn't think he was that convincing up front. I also don't think any of them are the answer looking ahead to next season.

All stats calculated from whoscored.com.

Goals per shot percentage: Glatzel - 15.2%, Paterson - 16.7%, Ward - 20.7%. I think that's relatively fair. Ward is our best finisher, don't think many will argue against that. Our second best finisher is Joe Ralls. Hoilett, M-L, Tomlin have much worse stats than Glatzel. What might be interesting is that Mitrovic at Fulham has a goals per shot percentage of 16.5%, though he has had 139 attempts at goal. Between them (before tonight), Glatzel/Ward/Paterson managed 106.

Average time between shots (mins): Glatzel - 33, Paterson - 57, Ward - 29. Ward has been used mainly as a substitute, so you'd expect him to have more attempts at goal later on in games. It does demonstrate that Paterson isn't a striker with a knack of being in the right position. Again, don't think anyone would argue differently! Paterson is also less likely to have an attempt on goal from inside the box than either Ward or Glatzel.

Bad touches per 90 mins: Glatzel - 3.6, Paterson - 2.2, Ward - 2.8. Mitrovic stands at 3.5 per game, but that's purely due to the level of involvement he has in games. That's not to suggest Glatzel is more involved in City games than Paterson or Ward mind. It's an area of his game he needs to improve. He's got the worst first touch at the club of all first team regulars.

Being dispossessed per 90 mins: Glatzel - 2.3, Paterson - 0.7, Ward - 1.1. Ball retention isn't Glatzel's strength. It certainly is Paterson's.

Aerial battles won/lost percentage: Glatzel - 35%/65%, Paterson - 43%/57%, Ward - 32%/68%. Again, no surprises there!

Short passing accuracy: Glatzel - 59.4%, Paterson - 47.4%, Ward - 63.1%.

Over to you to discuss!
    Impossible to unpick all that, but very grateful for the info

Surprised by the dispossession and bad touches from Glatzel, we constantly hear how good he is technically. If we play in this league next year i'd honestly be happy keeping all 3 (i'm sure 2nd season Glatzel will be better) but if we go up don't think any are the answer.

Re: Striker stats

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Impossible to unpick all that, but very grateful for the info

Surprised by the dispossession and bad touches from Glatzel, we constantly hear how good he is technically. If we play in this league next year i'd honestly be happy keeping all 3 (i'm sure 2nd season Glatzel will be better) but if we go up don't think any are the answer.
    I think there's also another hidden stat in all of this, it's how starved our forwards are of service.