+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wigan lose appeal and are relegated

Wigan lose appeal and are relegated

Barnsley stay up

Relegated sides are Hull, Wigan and Charlton.

Re: Wigan lose appeal and are relegated

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Barnsley stay up

This along with the decisions on Sheffield Wednesday (and possibly Derby) is totally disgraceful and smacks of favouritism

[QUOTE=DubaiDai;5105256]This along with the decisions on Sheffield Wednesday (and possibly Derby) is totally disgraceful and smacks of favouritism[/QUOT

Although I have tremendous sympathy for everyone at Wigan, I think a case could be made that, in isolation, the decision is correct, but then you look at how Sheffield Wednesday and Derby especially have flouted the rules for seasons on end and you think this just isn't fair - to me those two other clubs are deserving of relegation more than Wigan are.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    This along with the decisions on Sheffield Wednesday (and possibly Derby) is totally disgraceful and smacks of favouritism
    Why ? The rules are crystal clear - go into administration during a season and you get 12 points deducted in that season. Break financial fair play rules and you get points deducted at the time the case is decided upon.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Why ? The rules are crystal clear - go into administration during a season and you get 12 points deducted in that season. Break financial fair play rules and you get points deducted at the time the case is decided upon.
    Derby were charged in January. Sheff Wed were charged in November. The last thing these rules are is crystal clear.

That is not what the EFL said in their judgement.

If Wigan had been in the bottom 3 at the end of the season the points deduction would have applied next season.

A decision to deduct points from Sheffield Wednesday was made during this season but oddly chosen to be applied next season.

Probably a good thing for us as if Wednesday and Derby have good season next year a points deduction is likely to see them out of promotion contention.

That makes the KM transfer more likely.

[QUOTE=the other bob wilson;5105266]
    Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    This along with the decisions on Sheffield Wednesday (and possibly Derby) is totally disgraceful and smacks of favouritism[/QUOT

Although I have tremendous sympathy for everyone at Wigan, I think a case could be made that, in isolation, the decision is correct, but then you look at how Sheffield Wednesday and Derby especially have flouted the rules for seasons on end and you think this just isn't fair - to me those two other clubs are deserving of relegation more than Wigan are.
    Very true and very strange.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...20year%20later.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Barnsley stay up

I'm really pleased for Barnsley.

I have always liked them as a club (down to earth fans), and always liked away days at Oakwell. Their great escape this season was heroic.

It would have been a travesty if they'd been relegated (by a successful Wigan appeal) after the euphoria of their last day win.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    That makes the KM transfer more likely.
    Ooooh, ruthless .

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'm really pleased for Barnsley.

I have always liked them as a club (down to earth fans), and always liked away days at Oakwell. Their great escape this season was heroic.

It would have been a travesty if they'd been relegated (by a successful Wigan appeal) after the euphoria of their last day win.
    Indeed ,sadly Wigan were a family type team with the likable Dave Whelan in control , loved it when they won the cup and gave them a trophy

I think that the EFL's decision regarding Sheffield Wednesday and Derby County is nothing short of disgraceful and smachs of favouritism.
    I think this decision should be challenged in a court of law. The EFL is not fit for purpose!

But both cases you mention have been going on for months and months.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Indeed ,sadly Wigan were a family type team with the likable Dave Whelan in control , loved it when they won the cup and gave them a trophy
    Likeable?