+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithies...

Smithies...

While he wasn't to blame for the two goals, I find him incredibly frustrating. He's so quiet and doesn't seem to be organising his defense.

He got easily bundled off the ball in the first few minutes and Barnsley had the ball in the net. Luckily the ref blew for a free kick and the replay showed the ref was probably right. But smithies should have owned that ball and dominated the situation.

Perhaps the lack of a vocal keeper has also contributed to our defense being poor

Re: Smithies...

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    While he wasn't to blame for the two goals, I find him incredibly frustrating. He's so quiet and doesn't seem to be organising his defense.

He got easily bundled off the ball in the first few minutes and Barnsley had the ball in the net. Luckily the ref blew for a free kick and the replay showed the ref was probably right. But smithies should have owned that ball and dominated the situation.

Perhaps the lack of a vocal keeper has also contributed to our defense being poor
    I asked the same about Etheridge just over a year ago and wondered if Smithies was more vocal. Someone said he wasn't.

He got easily bundled off the ball in the first few minutes and Barnsley had the ball in the net. Luckily the ref blew for a free kick and the replay showed the ref was PROBABLY RIGHT.. But smithies should have owned that ball and dominated the situation.

You are joking I take it ?

Should have either been a goal or a pelanty against Flint, for a two handed push on the Barnsley player.

Begs the question, what game were you watching. ?

I didn’t manage to see the game but I did hear it was a poor spectacle.
    My question is how did our full backs perform ?
    I have a lot of hope that Ng and Bagan will be our regular pairing next season.

Smithies is the least of our issues. It's not his fault people aren't doing their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Smithies is the least of our issues. It's not his fault people aren't doing their jobs.
    The latest Escaped Goat it seems.

Flint is fair more culpable for that mess.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Should have either been a goal or a pelanty against Flint, for a two handed push on the Barnsley player.

I'm just posing a question that our defense isn't being helped by a keeper who is not very vocal.

Flint is useless. But the defense has been poor for some time before he played.

I think all of the team have to take some responsibility and that includes the keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Flint is fair more culpable for that mess.
    Oh there's no doubt that Flint was awful. Truly terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The latest Escaped Goat it seems.
    Not at all. One post about the keeper doesn't make an 'escaped goat'. But our defence isn't being helped by a quiet keeper.

I'm just posing a question that our defense isn't being helped by a keeper who is not very vocal.

Flint is useless. But the defense has been poor for some time before he played.

I think all of the team have to take some responsibility and that includes the keeper.
    Where does this supposed lack of vocals come from?

I don't disagree. Just saying I don't think he's vocal or dominate enough. That isn't helping

I didn't watch the game last night - followed it on audio and a few blogs - so interested in your comment about Smithies being quiet. A few months ago the local media (and I think some match threads on here) were praising Smithies for being vocal and a real organiser. It is hard to form a reliable opinion without being at the ground - but I hope the earlier reports turn out to be right. MM was very big on players talking, directing and encouraging each other in his first training session - and that applies to the keeper more than anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I didn't watch the game last night - followed it on audio and a few blogs - so interested in your comment about Smithies being quiet. A few months ago the local media (and I think some match threads on here) were praising Smithies for being vocal and a real organiser. It is hard to form a reliable opinion without being at the ground - but I hope the earlier reports turn out to be right. MM was very big on players talking, directing and encouraging each other in his first training session - and that applies to the keeper more than anyone.
    I think he's a good keeper. Perhaps he's suffering a loss of confidence with the rest of the team. He does seem to have been quieter lately.

MM demands leaders all over the pitch including the keeper.

I think he's a good keeper. Perhaps he's suffering a loss of confidence with the rest of the team. He does seem to have been quieter lately.

MM demands leaders all over the pitch including the keeper.
    It could just be where the mic is. You can't hear him screaming at the back 4 after the first goal and he is absolutely livid, and rightfully so.

Smithies (along with Moore) is a player of genuine quality at this level and we are very lucky to have him.

]

Where does this supposed lack of vocals come from?
    A voicebox

I've noticed he's not as vocal as he used to be.

It's a lot easier to notice when there's no crowd noise.

It could just be where the mic is. You can't hear him screaming at the back 4 after the first goal and he is absolutely livid, and rightfully so.

Smithies (along with Moore) is a player of genuine quality at this level and we are very lucky to have him.
    That's a fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

I didn't watch it last night (just the joys of club audio and Sky goal clips) and then watched the highlights on Quest.

Jobi McAnuff agreed with you that the goal should have stood.

But I have rewatched the incident half a dozen times in slow-mo and with freeze frame and I'm sure Woodrow clattered into Smithies before Flint gave him a little push. So the ref and AfricanBluebird are PROBABLY RIGHT!

Few goals this season which I think Etheridge would have saved.
    Both quality goalkeepers and one had to go because each was too good for the bench, but personally I'd have kept the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Few goals this season which I think Etheridge would have saved.
    Both quality goalkeepers and one had to go because each was too good for the bench, but personally I'd have kept the other one.
    Birmingham would be in the bottom 3 without Etheridge. He will be their player of the season, he’s been outstanding for them

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I didn’t manage to see the game but I did hear it was a poor spectacle.
    My question is how did our full backs perform ?
    I have a lot of hope that Ng and Bagan will be our regular pairing next season.
    Ng looks like he’s been here years

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Birmingham would be in the bottom 3 without Etheridge. He will be their player of the season, he’s been outstanding for them
    Yes indeed. I've got a good chum there and they can't believe we let them have him at that price.
    I don't want to diminish Smithies, but I still think it was the wrong decision. Probably more to do with salaries than anything else in reality.

You won't be hearing any players ever again now that Big Mikey is here.

I enjoyed hearing Mick being very vocal last night. Mick McCarthy's man management (or MMMM from now on) sounded spot on. He was giving the older, more experienced players a ear-bashing but was much softer with young Bagan.

We were given a corner and Bagan was getting sucked in towards the box whilst waiting for the kick to be taken. MM instructed calmly "Stay there Joel, stay back". Joel looked at him, give him the thumbs up and stepped back to which MM said "Good lad!". Simple, clear instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Yes indeed. I've got a good chum there and they can't believe we let them have him at that price.
    I don't want to diminish Smithies, but I still think it was the wrong decision. Probably more to do with salaries than anything else in reality.
    Etheridge's contract was up at the end of the season and had been displaced by Smithies, better to get something in the summer than let him walk away at the end of his deal

Could have given him a new contract but that's a reasonable point.