+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Imola Today For Any F1 Fans

Imola Today For Any F1 Fans

1. Hamilton 2. Perez 3. Verstappen

Stand-out for me today was Norris even though his lap was disallowed - definitely someone to watch and an exciting prospect.

Williams slowly improving which I'm pleased about as that's the team I follow most.

Listened to Q1 on the iPhone app and there were a lot of radio snippets from Mazepin. The commentators came within a gnats d*ck of saying he really shouldn't be behind the wheel of an F1 car.

Looking forward to the race tomorrow. Imola not a great track for overtaking but very tough on the cars so, as the late Murray Walker would say 'anything happens in Grand Prix racing and it usually does'.

Re: Imola Today For Any F1 Fans

Gutted for Lando. Will be interesting to see how the he does in the race. McLaren does seem to be on their way back up though.
    I think both Mazepin and Schumacher are a tad lucky to be behind the wheel of an F1 car. Mazepins dad is the main sponsor of the Haas team, and Schumacher brings loads of sponsorship money in because of his name.
    Verstappen might have just got pole if he didn't make that mistake on his last lap. Nice to see Perez on the front row too.
    Two Red Bulls v one Mercedes will be different to usual with the Bulls holding the ace on the strategy front.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Gutted for Lando. Will be interesting to see how the he does in the race. McLaren does seem to be on their way back up though.
    I think both Mazepin and Schumacher are a tad lucky to be behind the wheel of an F1 car. Mazepins dad is the main sponsor of the Haas team, and Schumacher brings loads of sponsorship money in because of his name.
    Verstappen might have just got pole if he didn't make that mistake on his last lap. Nice to see Perez on the front row too.
    Two Red Bulls v one Mercedes will be different to usual with the Bulls holding the ace on the strategy front.
    Even though I usually hate anything with a Red Bull logo on it, I'm really pleased for Perez as he's been very underrated for a while (not saying he's WC material but he's a tidy driver). Both those Haas cars are complete duds and are going nowhere. I'd have more faith in Schui than Maz because at least he won an F2 and F3 world championship so in a decent car (or if Haas can get their sh*t together) may well be a tidy driver at F1 level - though you're dead right about the family name being a cash-in.

I haven't checked the forecast tomorrow but if it rains then there'll be a lot of drivers who've been exceeding track limits (again) coming off on those grass verges.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Even though I usually hate anything with a Red Bull logo on it, I'm really pleased for Perez as he's been very underrated for a while (not saying he's WC material but he's a tidy driver). Both those Haas cars are complete duds and are going nowhere. I'd have more faith in Schui than Maz because at least he won an F2 and F3 world championship so in a decent car (or if Haas can get their sh*t together) may well be a tidy driver at F1 level - though you're dead right about the family name being a cash-in.

I haven't checked the forecast tomorrow but if it rains then there'll be a lot of drivers who've been exceeding track limits (again) coming off on those grass verges.
    In Yuki Tsunodas post qualy interview he said they were expecting rain for the race.
    I'm a fan of Perez too. Just feel he will have to play rear gunner for Max, which is a shame as he's a quality driver.
    I also think Vettel is holding on to a seat because of the £££s he'll bring in.

Have you been to any of the races?

In Yuki Tsunodas post qualy interview he said they were expecting rain for the race.
    I'm a fan of Perez too. Just feel he will have to play rear gunner for Max, which is a shame as he's a quality driver.
    I also think Vettel is holding on to a seat because of the £££s he'll bring in.

Have you been to any of the races?
    At Red Bull they've always had a favorite, Vettel over Webber then Ricciardo over Vettel then Verstappen over Ricciardo and now it's Perez's turn to play rear-gunner for Max, as you say. I don't get Vettel at all. He comes across as bitter TBH and I think it started with a falling out with Christian Horner when he was no longer the Wonder Kid at RB.

Rain will mean a safety car on that track.

Yes, I've been to quite a few races. I had to take a medically enforced break from going for a few years recently but as soon as I can go back to the British GP I will. I actually miss live Motorsport so much. The British GP was an annual event for decades and I've been to a lot of European GPs but not all the circuits. The best track ever has to be Spa - amazing. I love MotoGP and Superbikes too as well as Endurance Racing. Can't wait to go to a Formula E race but I'll wait until they start using the circuits and not the streets (nothing against the streets but I won't be able to see much!). What about you?

At Red Bull they've always had a favorite, Vettel over Webber then Ricciardo over Vettel then Verstappen over Ricciardo and now it's Perez's turn to play rear-gunner for Max, as you say. I don't get Vettel at all. He comes across as bitter TBH and I think it started with a falling out with Christian Horner when he was no longer the Wonder Kid at RB.

Yes, I've been to quite a few races. I had to take a medically enforced break from going for a few years recently but as soon as I can go back to the British GP I will. I actually miss live Motorsport so much. The British GP was an annual event for decades and I've been to a lot of European GPs but not all the circuits. The best track ever has to be Spa - amazing. I love MotoGP and Superbikes too as well as Endurance Racing. Can't wait to go to a Formula E race but I'll wait until they start using the circuits and not the streets (nothing against the streets but I won't be able to see much!). What about you?
    I go to Silverstone most years, hopefully this year too. Bought my ticket for last years race and I've rolled it over for this years.
    I've not done any of the other circuits, but I have done a lap around the old Hockenheim track before it was shortened.
    I really fancy Austria or Spa as my first European trips. In fact I'd love to do the whole season. Lets hope tonight's Lotto will be kind
    As tracks go, my favorite is Sao Paulo Brazil, with Spa and Texas a close second. Monza and Suzuka are great too.

International

I believe Hass wrote off this season before it started. I recall reading that they are racing with last years car and putting all their development int o the new car for the new regs in 2022.

Perez didn't get the memo about playing tail gunner

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    I think he may well get it at some point today if he's infront of Max and behind Lewis.
    Hopefully he drops the two of them early on and goes on to win the race.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I believe Hass wrote off this season before it started. I recall reading that they are racing with last years car and putting all their development into the new car for the new regs in 2022.
    That explains a lot. Hadn't realised it was last year's. Blimey, it's going to be a long season for them. There are significant changes to the regs for 2022 and gearboxes being frozen until 2025.

With massive improvements to Formula E and an Extreme E series (plus others), I can't see it being much longer after 2025 for the hybrid era and E to become the new F1 series in total especially with Porsche now involved (I absolutely love this car).

I go to Silverstone most years, hopefully this year too. Bought my ticket for last years race and I've rolled it over for this years.
    I've not done any of the other circuits, but I have done a lap around the old Hockenheim track before it was shortened.
    I really fancy Austria or Spa as my first European trips. In fact I'd love to do the whole season. Lets hope tonight's Lotto will be kind
    As tracks go, my favorite is Sao Paulo Brazil, with Spa and Texas a close second. Monza and Suzuka are great too.
    I used to drive from the UK to a lot of the circuits and Spa is very doable. The Germans have that race locked down with camper vans, BBQs, and erecting their own viewing platforms on the hill up from Eau Rouge. This was in the late 90s and they've tightened up on the amount of scaffolding you can take in now! Great atmosphere though and really friendly. They love their F1, beer, and food! What's not to love?

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Poor Perez. That RB team can be ruthless to their number 2 drivers!

Well, the race didn't disappoint! Great drives from Norris and Lewis. Verstappen made it look easy. Gutted for Williams but thank goodness for the halo which I think stopped a serious accident and saved Bottas today.

Just knew that a wet track would be scary.

Classless reaction from Russell to react the way he did to Bottas. Kravitz made reference that was the corner where Senna lost his life which puts the safety of drivers under those circumstances into context.

Also what on earth is a Williams and a Mercedes doing racing for track position at the midpoint of the race. Bottas had a weekend to forget.

Great to see Lando land a podium, and nice to see Ferrari looking competitive again. These changes seemed to have bunched the pack a bit which is making for some good racing.

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    Classless reaction from Russell to react the way he did to Bottas. Kravitz made reference that was the corner where Senna lost his life which puts the safety of drivers under those circumstances into context.

Also what on earth is a Williams and a Mercedes doing racing for track position at the midpoint of the race. Bottas had a weekend to forget.

Great to see Lando land a podium, and nice to see Ferrari looking competitive again. These changes seemed to have bunched the pack a bit which is making for some good racing.
    To be fair, the slap around the helmet only happened after Bottas had given him the finger, my emotions would be running high if I'd crashed at 180mph too.

On another note, did you see that photo of Russell's wheel being stopped by the halo? Bottas wouldn't have stood a chance without it, the halo is undoubtedly one of the best safety additions in recent years, it already seems mad that they used to race without it

Well, the race didn't disappoint! Great drives from Norris and Lewis. Verstappen made it look easy. Gutted for Williams but thank goodness for the halo which I think stopped a serious accident and saved Bottas today.

Just knew that a wet track would be scary.
    Great race. This season looks like its going to be a tight one between Mercedes and Red Bull. Hopefully McLaren and Ferrari can up their game and join the party too.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    To be fair, the slap around the helmet only happened after Bottas had given him the finger, my emotions would be running high if I'd crashed at 180mph too.

On another note, did you see that photo of Russell's wheel being stopped by the halo? Bottas wouldn't have stood a chance without it, the halo is undoubtedly one of the best safety additions in recent years, it already seems mad that they used to race without it
    I didn't see the finger the first time and was bemused at Russel's response but it all made sense afterwards. Yup, that halo saved a life there. And poignant considering where it happened too.

Great race. This season looks like its going to be a tight one between Mercedes and Red Bull. Hopefully McLaren and Ferrari can up their game and join the party too.
    I loved both races and am genuinely excited for this season. I hope you get to use your Silverstone ticket this summer. I've got my finger poised on the 'buy' button for this year as there's still some on sale!

I loved both races and am genuinely excited for this season. I hope you get to use your Silverstone ticket this summer. I've got my finger poised on the 'buy' button for this year as there's still some on sale!
    Get it done CN

We buy the cheapest weekend ticket, Friday to Sunday, comes in at about £200 each and usually watch from Copse. We did treat ourselves two years back and bought start line Grandstand tickets which were about £400 each.
    We camp on Windmill farm which is basically a field with porta loos and showers dotted around. I think we pay about £15 - £20 per person per night. We never pay for the Sunday night but always stay til the Monday due to getting smashed on the Sunday

We take a load of booze with us, and nip into Towcester daily for fresh food which we chuck on the bbq. We take the fridge with us and run it off a petrol geny so we have cold booze which we take into the circuit in cooler box's, which is strangely allowed.
    Booze inside is £5 a pint which isn't too bad, but food off the stalls is expensive. I paid £21 for 3 bacon rolls last time.
    All in all an expensive weekend, but well worth it in my opinion.

Get it done CN

We buy the cheapest weekend ticket, Friday to Sunday, comes in at about £200 each and usually watch from Copse. We did treat ourselves two years back and bought start line Grandstand tickets which were about £400 each.
    We camp on Windmill farm which is basically a field with porta loos and showers dotted around. I think we pay about £15 - £20 per person per night. We never pay for the Sunday night but always stay til the Monday due to getting smashed on the Sunday

We take a load of booze with us, and nip into Towcester daily for fresh food which we chuck on the bbq. We take the fridge with us and run it off a petrol geny so we have cold booze which we take into the circuit in cooler box's, which is strangely allowed.
    Booze inside is £5 a pint which isn't too bad, but food off the stalls is expensive. I paid £21 for 3 bacon rolls last time.
    All in all an expensive weekend, but well worth it in my opinion.
    I'm going to get it done today! I'll probably end up getting tickets for me and the Mrs at Stowe (she has learned to love motorsport!) I love the sound of your whole weekend trips and used to do the same but just can't anymore but not because I wouldn't enjoy it! I used to love this stuff in the 90s and have a soft spot for Eddie as well as Damon and that Williams of 1996. It was 2007 last time I went to Silverstone. 22 cars and 6 DNFs.

I think I mentioned the bikes in an earlier post and I reckon you'd enjoy a Donnington w/e too. Unless you hate Superbikes!

Last year we had so much planned but none of it happened, obviously. Le Mans was on and I was gutted we couldn't go (along with us having tickets for Italy v Wales in Rome). Life's too fekkin short so yeah, no time to waste!