+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One For The Music Buffs...

One For The Music Buffs...

Don'r ask me how i got there, because i don't really know myself. Was on Youtube and ended up listening to a song by an Artist i'd never heard of. I was mildly intrigued, so i decided to Wiki Him. Now, i must admit that i'm not a massive music fan, in terms of the nuances, technicalities, influences, sounds etc. So when i stumbled upon the extract below, it's safe to say that i had to close the laptop and sit quietly for a moment.

"While His recordings of the 1980's and 1990's were a mixture of Pop, Jazz fusion and Avant -Garde, experimentalism mixed with ambient, his more recent compositions have drawn increasingly on musical minimalism and free improvisation"

What in gods name does any of that mean? If someone would care to explain

I wont say who the Artist is (although i'd never heard of him) maybe someone would like to guess for a bit of fun, if you can call it fun!

Re: One For The Music Buffs...

Does his name beggin with a letter between A-M or N-Z

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Does his name beggin with a letter between A-M or N-Z
    A-M first name N-Z surname. I'm not sure if he was really well known, although I do recognise him from the eighties.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    A-M first name N-Z surname. I'm not sure if he was really well known, although I do recognise him from the eighties.
    Hmmm.

I'll guess M

I would have guessed either Howard Jones or John Foxx but neither fit the name clue.

Hmmm.

I'll guess M
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I would have guessed either Howard Jones or John Foxx but neither fit the name clue.
    Neither of them.I think that he was around during the 70's as well, so not exclusively an 80's artist. I'm so out of my comfort zone, talking about musical artists.

B

B
    Nah, it's D, by the way, do you understand any of that extract that I posted? It spun me right out.

Nah, it's D, by the way, do you understand any of that extract that I posted? It spun me right out.
    You'll never believe me but that was my next guess. My mate David just txt me pickup time for work tomorrow. On that note I'm guessing S for the surname it's got to be a sign.

No. Absolutely no idea what any of it means.

You'll never believe me but that was my next guess. My mate David just txt me pickup time for work tomorrow. On that note I'm guessing S for the surname it's got to be a sign.

No. Absolutely no idea what any of it means.
    Fair play, you're very close.

The wiki paragraph in question makes perfect sense to me. I was going to suggest Max Richter, but I see further clues tell me the first name begins with D. Hmmm…

Sounds like Brian Eno or John Cale but the letters don’t work.

On their wiki or google link...which names are searched in association?

David Sylvian?

Has to be right? Final answer.

Another clue, he was described as a new romantic, but hated the description. He said that the way he dressed was a way of life, not a fashion statement ( refering to the new romantic scene)

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    David Sylvian?
    Steve is a winner very well done! I'd never heard of until a few hours ago!

Has to be right? Final answer.
    Your prize is to attempt to explain that extract I posted!

I have most of the Japan albums and three of his solo albums.
    What track were you listening to that piqued your interest?

I have most of the Japan albums and three of his solo albums.
    What track were you listening to that piqued your interest?
    Bamboo houses, a collaboration with a Japanese male artist (forgot his name) what an incredible unique sound.

Ryuichi sakamoto

Ah, Ryuichi Sakamoto! A frequent collaborator of David and composer of the theme tune to Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence amongst others.

Ah, Ryuichi Sakamoto! A frequent collaborator of David and composer of the theme tune to Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence amongst others.
    Yup, I'm impressed by your knowledge. I hear songs that I like but forget the title and artist almost instantly.

Bamboo houses, a collaboration with a Japanese male artist (forgot his name) what an incredible unique sound.
    I actually have that 7” single in my collection. It’s in a gatefold sleeve. I haven’t played it for maybe 20 years but I just put it on. I’d sort of forgotten about Sylvian and Japan but I have a bunch of thier vinyl… so I’m going to stick them on… Thanks for the memory jog

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I actually have that 7” single in my collection. It’s in a gatefold sleeve. I haven’t played it for maybe 20 years but I just put it on. I’d sort of forgotten about Sylvian and Japan but I have a bunch of thier vinyl… so I’m going to stick them on… Thanks for the memory jog
    You're welcome. I'm the complete opposite in that I've only just discovered him. I enjoy reading music threads on here. Always find it interesting, and I've discovered some decent stuff just by reading people's opinions and preferences.