+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Consequences of cheap players and kids

Consequences of cheap players and kids

Well , some people were very angry with me for warning of this outcome.
    Warning it was though- though many insisted upon it being some very unpleasant malicious prediction.

In fact I was driven out of the forum effectively over the matter, and I shall indeed stay away .
    Clever old Uncle Bob and his gang of ill mannered youngsters can continue their online bullying and completely ill informed punditry uninterrupted.

I returned not to gloat as some will no doubt suggest - perhaps this debacle was my fault for predicting the likely outcome in fact.
    No, just to remind you that my original point that this was an obvious potential outcome of Mr McCarthys policy and most importantly there was no plan 'B'. Unfortunately I believe this to still be the case.

Well, I said we risked a couple of 5-0s followed by a meltdown if we couldn't brace the side in the event didn't I?
    That hasn't happened yet so let's hope it doesn't . Just one so far but I remain most concerned that if this becomes this becomes a slide we will have no answer . Youngsters, no matter how talented are known for this risk and so is the remedy, but as I said seemed to me to be the danger that MM wasn't catering for it.

I can only suggest at this point that he starts looking closely at the free agent market and maybe brings a couple in to start training immediately. Let's see

Re: Consequences of cheap players and kids

Yesterdays XI

Philips - 26 years old, 149 senior appearances, undisclosed fee

Ng - 25 years old, 192 senior appearances, cost £500k
    Nelson - 28 years old, 395 senior appearances, free transfer
    Flint - 32 years old, 372 senior appearances, cost £4m+
    Morrison - 30 years old, 385 senior appearances, cost £3m
    Bagan - 20 years old, 17 senior appearances, academy

Vaulks - 27 years old, 325 senior appearances, cost £2m
    Pack - 30 years old, 478 senior appearances, undisclosed

Bacuna - 30 years old, 384 senior appearances, cost £4m
    Colwill - 19 years old, 12 senior appearances, academy

Moore - 29 years old, 301 senior appearances, cost £2m

So yesterday's starting XI between them cost at least £15m, had an average age of just under 27 (which is brought down dramatically by the only "kids" starting) and had over 3,000 senior appearances between them. That is not a cheap, inexperienced side. It baffles me that people keep saying we're just throwing in kids when we'll have, at most, 3 in the starting XI. The problems isn't "throwing in kids" it's the shit situation a certain manager left us in regarding huge contracts for bang average hoofballers

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Yesterdays XI

So yesterday's starting XI between them cost at least £15m, had an average age of just under 27 (which is brought down dramatically by the only "kids" starting) and had over 3,000 senior appearances between them. That is not a cheap, inexperienced side. It baffles me that people keep saying we're just throwing in kids when we'll have, at most, 3 in the starting XI. The problems isn't "throwing in kids" it's the shit situation a certain manager left us in regarding huge contracts for bang average hoofballers

End of thread.

Yesterdays XI

I agree. And we have to wait until next summer to offload Tomlin, Vassell, Morrison, Flint, Pack , Vaulks (I think), Smithies, Murphy and Ralls. Lord know how much that lot are on between them, but whatever it is it's too much. Flint and Pack have been Ok this season but the rest off the whole team are well below their best in terms of performances, maybe exception Giles. And Bacuna has until summer 2023!

It baffles me that people keep saying we're just throwing in kids when we'll have, at most, 3 in the starting XI.
    To reinforce your point, the fact is that the average age of Blackburn's starting eleven yesterday was 24. Their hat-trick hero, Ben Brereton-Diaz, is the same age as Mark Harris, while one of their other scorers, Tyrhys Dolan, is the same age as Rubin Colwill.