+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has there ever been a lower key Cardiff v Swans game ?

Has there ever been a lower key Cardiff v Swans game ?

Little talk, and mostly a feeling of "meh"...must be said I've been more up for 3rd round Welsh Cup clashes in the past never mind a high profile championship game.

Is it just me in this malaise?

Re: Has there ever been a lower key Cardiff v Swans game ?

I know what you mean, but a look at the gates for most of the games with the jacks in the eighties and nineties shows that there have been plenty of them.

Abertawe Town, are Abertawe Town, always was and always will be.

Never been a main rival in my eyes and never will be.

How was it described in Twin Town , "A pretty Shitty City"

A must not lose game for both sides.

I'm sure if it was offered, a shake of hands right now on a draw then both would take it, although we would have to play well for Mick to accept it.

Fair play to those travelling though and for those I do hope its a decent game, but nil nil would suit me.

I should say though that the first game back after an international break always feels weird to me, maybe I will feel different this time tomorrow.

Yes in the FAW cup

(I’d love that to come back)

Quote Originally Posted by I'll give you the Malky!! View Post
    Little talk, and mostly a feeling of "meh"...must be said I've been more up for 3rd round Welsh Cup clashes in the past never mind a high profile championship game.

I think the faith we kept has gone

Quote Originally Posted by I'll give you the Malky!! View Post

I think it's endemic within society in general, the disconnect from in-stadium crowd participation wouldn't have helped either

saying that, i'll be a bag of nerves tomorrow

I agree, not excited in the slightest compared to other cardiff v swansea games

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

I'm sure if it was offered, a shake of hands right now on a draw then both would take it, although we would have to play well for Mick to accept it.

Fair play to those travelling though and for those I do hope its a decent game, but nil nil would suit me.

I should say though that the first game back after an international break always feels weird to me, maybe I will feel different this time tomorrow.

I think our loss may hurt more.

0- 0 perhaps 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think our loss may hurt more.

0- 0 perhaps 🤔
    Agree with this. If Swansea lose it will hurt us a lot less

Why? What will happen if either side loses?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Why? What will happen if either side loses?
    I would hazzard a guess that the knives will be out for the losing manager.
    The losing fans will be feeling pretty down.
    The feeling of such a loss has a damaging effect throughout the whole club, excentuated by their team's precarious position at the wrong end of the league.
    The prospect of a relegation battle will seem very real.

For the winning side it could go a long way to being a springboard for recovery.
    The players will be on a high and looking forward to the next game.

Get into 'em!!.... etc

I was thinking about this earlier. My experience of derby matches pre-2000 is somewhat limited to images of violence and damage seen on tv. I haven't missed a home derby since 2008 and my experience of those derbies under Dave Jones was that both sides were desperate to do one over the other. The CCS party that followed Chopra's winner was almost up there with the times we won promotion. I have no doubts that Swansea were more up for the derby than we were during that time, partly as a result from within the club's hierachy.

After Swansea spent 7 seasons in the Premier League I'm not sure we matter to them as much. The 0-0 draw under Neil Harris was as sterile an atmosphere as you could get in a derby. Swansea's wins against us over the last two seasons have partly been down to us being so poor. No-one could say that the last 4 derbies are a patch on any that we had from 2008-2011.

I think that there was an added spice to the derbies from 2008 as we hadn't played each other for several years in the league - we were planning on getting to the Premier League while they were just about holding on to their league status. We were seen as a scalp and a bigger name that they could bring down. I remember listening to an interview with someone high up at the Swans who revealed the club were desperate to get to the Premier League before us. While I'm sure they wanted to get to the top flight, doing it before us must have been especially sweet for them. It was particularly bitter for us as we'd been trying for several seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I was thinking about this earlier. My experience of derby matches pre-2000 is somewhat limited to images of violence and damage seen on tv. I haven't missed a home derby since 2008 and my experience of those derbies under Dave Jones was that both sides were desperate to do one over the other. The CCS party that followed Chopra's winner was almost up there with the times we won promotion. I have no doubts that Swansea were more up for the derby than we were during that time, partly as a result from within the club's hierachy.

After Swansea spent 7 seasons in the Premier League I'm not sure we matter to them as much. The 0-0 draw under Neil Harris was as sterile an atmosphere as you could get in a derby. Swansea's wins against us over the last two seasons have partly been down to us being so poor. No-one could say that the last 4 derbies are a patch on any that we had from 2008-2011.

I think that there was an added spice to the derbies from 2008 as we hadn't played each other for several years in the league - we were planning on getting to the Premier League while they were just about holding on to their league status. We were seen as a scalp and a bigger name that they could bring down. I remember listening to an interview with someone high up at the Swans who revealed the club were desperate to get to the Premier League before us. While I'm sure they wanted to get to the top flight, doing it before us must have been especially sweet for them. It was particularly bitter for us as we'd been trying for several seasons.

As I remember it Jones didnt help our cause as he always played the derby game down like it was just another game which pissed many off.

As I remember it Jones didnt help our cause as he always played the derby game down like it was just another game which pissed many off.
    He made it sound like a total priority compared with Warnock!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    He made it sound like a total priority compared with Warnock!
    I disagree.
    At least Warnock could get his teams up for big games, something Jones rarely seemed capable of whilst he was with us.

At least Warnock could get his teams up for big games, something Jones rarely seemed capable of whilst he was with us.
    Warnock presided over one South Wales derby. Swansea won it 1-0. City were utterly abysmal on the day. Warnock left soon after.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Warnock presided over one South Wales derby. Swansea won it 1-0. City were utterly abysmal on the day. Warnock left soon after.
    He was a dead man walking by then.

Good luck to those going tomorrow. I went on the first bubble trip….never again.
    After years of travelling there with no trouble whatsoever, now every chavvy jack toe rag lines the street to chuck stones and cans at the buses! Never used to see them, and could have a few drinks before the game, and walk back to the station, no problem.
    Obviously those who went looking for them would find them, I’m talking about the majority of us who didn’t go looking.

He was a dead man walking by then.
    Ah, right. Dead man walking. Probably the same reason he failed to rouse his team for the Severnside derby a fortnight later….

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Ah, right. Dead man walking. Probably the same reason he failed to rouse his team for the Severnside derby a fortnight later….
    Of course, only he was a dead man crawling by then.

Of course, only he was a dead man crawling by then.
    You think so? I was surprised when he left.

Jones played the derby down but those games under him against Martinez and Rogers were some of the best. McCormacks penalty, Bellamy's thunderbolt, Chopras winner are all great memories. Those squads stayed pretty consistent back then too so the players had a proper rivalry. It's a lot more transient now.

I disagree.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOVGyX-Q-6Y

Maybe we don't need a cheerleader in order to have a decent atmosphere. Good football and good footballers will do the job.

.........as expressed by 198bore

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You think so? I was surprised when he left.
    Really?
    I think most people expected his exit given it was a side that he assembled that was failing.