+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sky football coverage.

Sky football coverage.

Don't know how much Sky coverage you watch but I watch plenty of it. I have noted over the past months that the director (or whoever makes the decisions) showing replays of 'incidents' almost immediately after they take place and as a consequence missing some of the action. I find this ridiculous. Some of these 'incidents' barely live up the description. Don't get me wrong, I don't not want to see them but they shouldn't be replayed while the action is still taking place.

Slight change of topic but how does the VAR system work? Do the VARs have an audio commentary for the game they are watching and if so who provides it ?

Re: Sky football coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Don't know how much Sky coverage you watch but I watch plenty of it. I have noted over the past months that the director (or whoever makes the decisions) showing replays of 'incidents' almost immediately after they take place and as a consequence missing some of the action. I find this ridiculous. Some of these 'incidents' barely live up the description. Don't get me wrong, I don't not want to see them but they shouldn't be replayed while the action is still taking place.

Slight change of topic but how does the VAR system work? Do the VARs have an audio commentary for the game they are watching and if so who provides it ?
    This seems to happen quite a bit and is so frustrating for viewers; the game is going on, but we are stuck watching a replay. Why?

I’ve noticed this more and more recently too, I’m sure I’ve seen them miss corners from showing the previous shot

There should be an easy jet, Ryanair model of watching football. If you want the commentary, punditry etc then you have to pay extra, add in replays, a choice of camera angles etc. Great business model. I reckon it could bring a subscription down to about £15 a month if you went for the most basic viewing format i.e one camera angle. I'm on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There should be an easy jet, Ryanair model of watching football. If you want the commentary, punditry etc then you have to pay extra, add in replays, a choice of camera angles etc. Great business model. I reckon it could bring a subscription down to about £15 a month if you went for the most basic viewing format i.e one camera angle. I'm on it!
    There should definitely be an option to chose audio (as opposed to having to use the mute button) which must be so simple to implement.

I have zero interest in what the vast majority of co-commentators have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    There should definitely be an option to chose audio (as opposed to having to use the mute button) which must be so simple to implement.

Not a simple solution for most but on the off chance you’ve got a surround sound set up or a TV that can has settings for individual audio channels, muting the centre audio mutes commentary only. Audio for stadium sounds and crowds etc come from the Left and Right whilst commentary is central.

Also useful if watching blockbuster/hollywood films. I find a lot of films have really bad sound design where people speaking can’t be heard over sfx. Vocals are always panned central so increasing the middle speaker increases only the vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

Same. For me, commentary is just a distraction. Crowd sound is enough.

I watched about 5 minutes of Final Score yesterday. For some reason at full time they had crowd noise on whilst the punters in the studio were talking.
    Annoying as fck so I put SSN back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Great idea.
    Except it'll be more like you pay what you are paying now for the Easyjet, Ryanair model and pay extras for the items you suggest.

If it comes to pass we know who to blame!

Re the OP, I've noticed it recently.
    Isn't it the producer who is in charge of what camera, angles, replays etc..?
    Maybe Sky are doing on the job training.