Jeff Bezos
    Bernard Arnault and family
    Bill Gates
    Larry Ellison
    Larry Page
    Sergey Brin
    Mark Zuckerberg
    Steve Ballmer and Warren Buffet.

whilst covid induced poverty has pushed close on 100 million people into poverty in the world according to this report

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/26/b...hnk/index.html

talk about inequality makes my blood boil ...............

Re: Seems like some people done well out of Pandemic

Was it ever thus. People and companies have made huge financial gains in wartime.

A company Rees Mogg is involved with was talking about the pandemic being a great money making opportunity all the way back in March 2020.

The average tory will see this as a good thing. This planet is ****ed and my parents wonder why I don't want kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    The average tory will see this as a good thing. This planet is ****ed and my parents wonder why I don't want kids.
    Here we go...zzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-...mpaign=KARANGA

wealth of this lot has doubled during pandemic

Elon Musk
    Jeff Bezos
    Bernard Arnault and family
    Bill Gates
    Larry Ellison
    Larry Page
    Sergey Brin
    Mark Zuckerberg
    Steve Ballmer and Warren Buffet.

whilst covid induced poverty has pushed close on 100 million people into poverty in the world according to this report

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/26/b...hnk/index.html

talk about inequality makes my blood boil ...............
    Covid in the short term and particularly WFH in the long term will be a massive shift in increasing inequalities.

Covid because it skewed markets and made some things massively in demand - video technology, drugs, new IT, home deliveries. The average person can't deliver these products, unlike say a coffee shop or clothes shop.

Long term WFH will benefit those with houses big enough to make it tolerable, leaving those in shared housing or living alone or in crowded houses facing real difficulties. The subsequent reductions in public transport will hit those who need it most.

Offices, public transport for commuting and city centres are rare places wherre all social classes mix and all are equal. You remove that and people will 'stay local' and wealthier areas will advance whilst poorer fall behind.

If that's not the world you want, do something to change it. I go into the office, I use public transport, I try to buy independently where I can, I use cash for a good chunk of what I buy, I use Amazon as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Covid in the short term and particularly WFH in the long term will be a massive shift in increasing inequalities.

Covid because it skewed markets and made some things massively in demand - video technology, drugs, new IT, home deliveries. The average person can't deliver these products, unlike say a coffee shop or clothes shop.

Long term WFH will benefit those with houses big enough to make it tolerable, leaving those in shared housing or living alone or in crowded houses facing real difficulties. The subsequent reductions in public transport will hit those who need it most.

Offices, public transport for commuting and city centres are rare places wherre all social classes mix and all are equal. You remove that and people will 'stay local' and wealthier areas will advance whilst poorer fall behind.

If that's not the world you want, do something to change it. I go into the office, I use public transport, I try to buy independently where I can, I use cash for a good chunk of what I buy, I use Amazon as a last resort.
    Well tax the feckers who made the billions not those who have to chose between heating and eating.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Well tax the feckers who made the billions not those who have to chose between heating and eating.
    Well yeah, of course. But just like we can all do our bit on the environment, we can all do our bit on the kind of economy we want too.

Concerned about housing? Don't use Air BnB.
    Concerned about huge multinationals? Don't use amazon
    Concerned about global finance and banks. Use cash sometimes.
    Concerned about inequality? Don't encourage WFH.

There's hundreds of practical little things that can and should be done to prevent a transfer of economic and social power from the have nots to the haves.

Here we go...zzzzzzzzz
    You don't have an argument do you?

Tory faced with stone cold facts, ignore and deflect. Classic.

You don't have an argument do you?

Tory faced with stone cold facts, ignore and deflect. Classic.
    I don't think it's a stone cold fact that the average Tory will view the super rich (none of whom are Tories) getting richer as a good thing.

In reality, I think you making that up is rather indicative of the lack of facts on the matter on your behalf.

I've also made some points. You've just whinged about Tories as usual.

I don't think it's a stone cold fact that the average Tory will view the super rich (none of whom are Tories) getting richer as a good thing.

In reality, I think you making that up is rather indicative of the lack of facts on the matter on your behalf.

Find myself agreeing with James on this one - especially the Amazon thing

Then why the hell do you repeatedly vote tories who seem to do nothing but make the super rich richer? Yeah I'm whinging about child poverty, I'm whinging about extreme wealth inequality, I'm whinging about the complete lack of care or action on climate change, I'm whinging about how wages are stagnating but costs go up and up and up. But go ahead and pass it off as nothing just brush it off because you're alright Jack.

You're beyond deluded if you think the vast majority of the super rich aren't tories/conservatives. You're incredible.

Then why the hell do you repeatedly vote tories who seem to do nothing but make the super rich richer? Yeah I'm whinging about child poverty, I'm whinging about extreme wealth inequality, I'm whinging about the complete lack of care or action on climate change, I'm whinging about how wages are stagnating but costs go up and up and up. But go ahead and pass it off as nothing just brush it off because you're alright Jack.

You're beyond deluded if you think the vast majority of the super rich aren't tories/conservatives. You're incredible.
    Because Doucus, none of what you write is true. Stop being so sectarian. People across the spectrum care about these things. They may disagree about how to best deal with them, but they care about them.

Saying one group of people dont care about these things because of how they vote is just bigoted nonsense.

And to say the UK does nothing about extreme wealth inequality or climate change or stagnant wages is just not remotely borne out by facts. The Tories top rate of tax is higher than it was under the last Labour govt, the UK leads on offshore wind and has debcarbonised more than nearly all other western nations. The current govt have raised the minimum wage far more than Labour ever did.

And stop assuming I'm alright jack too. I spent most of lockdown stuck in a cold, tiny, one bed flat with drafty windows. You have no idea.

So just stick to facts, and you'll see that your presumptions are not only pretty bigoted but also pretty false.

The world is far more complex than you seem to think, and the response earlier that all Tories will welcome a load of random, non British super-rich people (who if they hold any political views they will be in favour of the US centre-left party) getting richer is just daft.

Because Doucus, none of what you write is true. Stop being so sectarian. People across the spectrum care about these things. They may disagree about how to best deal with them, but they care about them.

Saying one group of people dont care about these things because of how they vote is just bigoted nonsense.

And to say the UK does nothing about extreme wealth inequality or climate change or stagnant wages is just not remotely borne out by facts. The Tories top rate of tax is higher than it was under the last Labour govt, the UK leads on offshore wind and has debcarbonised more than nearly all other western nations. The current govt have raised the minimum wage far more than Labour ever did.

And stop assuming I'm alright jack too. I spent most of lockdown stuck in a cold, tiny, one bed flat with drafty windows. You have no idea.

So just stick to facts, and you'll see that your presumptions are not only pretty bigoted but also pretty false.

The world is far more complex than you seem to think, and the response earlier that all Tories will welcome a load of random, non British super-rich people (who if they hold any political views they will be in favour of the US centre-left party) getting richer is just daft.
    You're talking rubbish as usual. You've completely ignored that most wealth is acquired through capital e.g. housing or shares. You've ignored corporation tax is at its lowest in ages, you've ignored tax avoidance, You've ignored stagnating wages and hugely increasing costs, You've ignored sky rocketing house prices. You've ignored it doesn't matter if minimum wage has increased if inflation and costs have grown far higher. It'd be hilarious to laugh at how you've ignored basically everything to justify your opinion if it hadn't been people thinking like you being so damaging to the UK over the past 40 years.

Tell me why you think this is ok - https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...-average-wages

Token efforts to decarbonise mean **** all, do you really think we are doing out best to do that after our current government met with Rupert murdochs team about 40 times in the first 6 months of being in power?

What centre left party exists in the US? The republicans are extreme right like our current government and the Democrats are centre right much like Labour under Starmer.

150,000 dead from austerity, 160,000 dead from covid but boo hoo the forum tory is upset that I call him and his party out as the scum that they are.

You're talking rubbish as usual. You've completely ignored that most wealth is acquired through capital e.g. housing or shares. You've ignored corporation tax is at its lowest in ages, you've ignored tax avoidance, You've ignored stagnating wages and hugely increasing costs, You've ignored sky rocketing house prices. You've ignored it doesn't matter if minimum wage has increased if inflation and costs have grown far higher. It'd be hilarious to laugh at how you've ignored basically everything to justify your opinion if it hadn't been people thinking like you being so damaging to the UK over the past 40 years.

Tell me why you think this is ok - https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...-average-wages

Token efforts to decarbonise mean **** all, do you really think we are doing out best to do that after our current government met with Rupert murdochs team about 40 times in the first 6 months of being in power?

What centre left party exists in the US? The republicans are extreme right like our current government and the Democrats are centre right much like Labour under Starmer.

150,000 dead from austerity, 160,000 dead from covid but boo hoo the forum tory is upset that I call him and his party out as the scum that they are.
    Forgot to say council tax increasing by 5% every year due to budget cuts putting the burden on the poor and middle classes.

You are actually sounding quite unhinged now to be honest. Take a day off and read some things from a different perspective.

It's not that bad things don't exist, or that things couldn't be better, it's that you only blame one thing and endlessly abuse and refuse to listen to anyone who has a different opinion.

It's not on to be honest, it goes well beyond rational debate and you should rein it in a bit because these are always complex issues and just blaming one group endlessly is a sign of bigotry.

Well yeah, of course. But just like we can all do our bit on the environment, we can all do our bit on the kind of economy we want too.

Concerned about housing? Don't use Air BnB.
    Concerned about huge multinationals? Don't use amazon
    Concerned about global finance and banks. Use cash sometimes.
    Concerned about inequality? Don't encourage WFH.

There's hundreds of practical little things that can and should be done to prevent a transfer of economic and social power from the have nots to the haves.
    It needs regulatory change. The system is set up for convenience and, when money is tight, cheapness. It can't all be up to the consumer.

You are actually sounding quite unhinged now to be honest. Take a day off and read some things from a different perspective.

It's not that bad things don't exist, or that things couldn't be better, it's that you only blame one thing and endlessly abuse and refuse to listen to anyone who has a different opinion.

It's not on to be honest, it goes well beyond rational debate and you should rein it in a bit because these are always complex issues and just blaming one group endlessly is a sign of bigotry.
    Again you don't have an argument so you deflect.

Again you don't have an argument so you deflect.
    This is pointless. I have actually put forward a series of views, you haven't. You've just blamed s series of totally random non-conencted issues and chosen to blame them all on one group whilst slandering anyone who supports them - in this case in relation to some random global mega rich businessmen that have next to nothing to do with the UK.

Seriously, take some time off.

If its so bad why are we seeing shoots of recovery , relatively low unemployment, wages up 4% , pound shares stable, GDP healthy compared to European countries and growing faster .

The UK according to WHO is looking like the first big GDP country to recover from Covid with its economy returning to normality . That was down to great investment in vaccine roll out ( which helps the poorest and wealthest )

Yes we have inflation as do most countries its 7% In USA and that has bugger all to do with the Tories .

If the economy and GDP keeps on recovering that will filter down to the poorest in our society.

rather than start a new thread just noticed this on a business page

The net worth of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has fallen by over $29 billion in a single day after the company's share price plunged, making it one of the biggest single-day declines in net worth ever recorded.

whats going on with face book/Meta then ?

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    rather than start a new thread just noticed this on a business page

The net worth of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has fallen by over $29 billion in a single day after the company's share price plunged, making it one of the biggest single-day declines in net worth ever recorded.

whats going on with face book/Meta then ?
    https://www.business-standard.com/ar...0501493_1.html

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    my ad blocker has stopped that link bob but looking at the business page this morning saying :

Facebook's parent company, Meta, loses over $200 billion in value as share price plunges by over 25%. that was dated yesterday

i don't use face book or Meta so what is happening in the world of face book /Meta

that's alot of money !

It's a mighty big drop in a day, but the price is still higher than it was before the pandemic.

Not a big deal, more like a buying opportunity. In a month it'll probably make that 25% back.

Facebook censorship has cost the company another 50 BILLION today... It has lost nearly 300 BILLION from its market cap in a week. Users continue dropping off daily.

on the same day Billionaire Peter Thiel to step down as board member of Meta, Facebook's parent company, to support Trump-aligned candidates (WSJ)

just a storm in a teacup lardy