+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Velikonja

Re: Velikonja

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Sadly missed.
    I think I'd have gone with much lamented but sadly missed is fine.

Friday night saw Etien Velikonja's debut for NEC Nijmegen at Den Bosch in Holland's second flight. He only came on in the 77th minute so he didn't have enough time to make a big impact. Ok, he had an assist for NEC's equaliser in the 78th minute then headed a second equaliser in injury time to give them a 2-2 draw but he does that kind of stuff all the time. I'll get back to you when he does something notable.

what a strange thread

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Friday night saw Etien Velikonja's debut for NEC Nijmegen at Den Bosch in Holland's second flight. He only came on in the 77th minute so he didn't have enough time to make a big impact. Ok, he had an assist for NEC's equaliser in the 78th minute then headed a second equaliser in injury time to give them a 2-2 draw but he does that kind of stuff all the time. I'll get back to you when he does something notable.
    You can see why he’d be no use to Cardiff City, doing things like that...

Bloody striker scoring goals, what can he be think of......

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Bloody striker scoring goals, what can he be think of......
    He probably wasn't tracking back either. Must be some kind of anarchist or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    what an amazing thread
    Fixed for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    Fixed for you!

Well fixed

He probably wasn't tracking back either. Must be some kind of anarchist or something.
    Hopefully this doesn't spread to our young and impressionable lads at the City

Important to remember their only in their mid-to-late twenties and could be influenced by this radical

Sorry but I've only just got back from work so it's going to take me a while to get up to speed. What's Harris said about bringing Velikonja back? I assume he's been asked.

Sorry but I've only just got back from work so it's going to take me a while to get up to speed. What's Harris said about bringing Velikonja back? I assume he's been asked.
    It was the first question. BBC, ITV and Wales Online were fighting each other for the honour. It brought a lump to my throat. But someone knocked over a chair and the answer was lost to posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    It was the first question. BBC, ITV and Wales Online were fighting each other for the honour. It brought a lump to my throat. But someone knocked over a chair and the answer was lost to posterity.
    I think we can guess what the answer was. If he wants to win the fans over he knows what he's got to do.

A perfect re-signing for us. Why oh why couldn't Warnock see it, he's 31 and doesn't play that much....ideal. Who can forget that goal he scored...….against Newcastle in the pre-season friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    A perfect re-signing for us. Why oh why couldn't Warnock see it, he's 31 and doesn't play that much....ideal. Who can forget that goal he scored...….against Newcastle in the pre-season friendly?
    I still remember his glorious 15 minute cameo at Brighton in 2012, a true thing of beauty, it brought a tear to the eye. He was another level

Today, Etien Velikonja announced to his 4,092 loyal followers on Instagram that he is hanging up his boots.

A sad day, as at 34 and his solid goal scoring record of 1 in 5 in the Slovenian Prvaliga the worlds media felt like he had a lot more still left to give to the game.

I’ll remember him as one of city’s cult heroes. We didn’t see the best of him but he looked truly world class in the development games he played in, at least 3 levels above where he was playing. And, after watching his off the ball movement in the 75 collective minutes he played… well, I truly believed we had a hidden gem on our hands.

Farwell Etien and thanks for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I still remember his glorious 15 minute cameo at Brighton in 2012, a true thing of beauty, it brought a tear to the eye. He was another level
    I thought he never played

How wrong I was

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    Today, Etien Velikonja announced to his 4,092 loyal followers on Instagram that he is hanging up his boots.

A sad day, as at 34 and his solid goal scoring record of 1 in 5 in the Slovenian Prvaliga the worlds media felt like he had a lot more still left to give to the game.

I’ll remember him as one of city’s cult heroes. We didn’t see the best of him but he looked truly world class in the development games he played in, at least 3 levels above where he was playing. And, after watching his off the ball movement in the 75 collective minutes he played… well, I truly believed we had a hidden gem on our hands.

Farwell Etien and thanks for everything.
    Does that make you one of the 4,092?

I've already contacted the club to see if there are plans to retire his shirt number here to mark the occasion but no reply yet. I assume the reason for the delay is that Etien wore two here, 9 and 35, which clearly puts us in a dilemma. I can't see why we don't just retire both, it still leaves over ninety to choose from and even Morison didn't have a squad that big.

No doubt he's off to Saudi with all of the other world class stars in the Twilight of their career. Not that he needs the money...

I've already contacted the club to see if there are plans to retire his shirt number here to mark the occasion but no reply yet. I assume the reason for the delay is that Etien wore two here, 9 and 35, which clearly puts us in a dilemma. I can't see why we don't just retire both, it still leaves over ninety to choose from and even Morison didn't have a squad that big.
    We retired no.9 after Bothroyd didn't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    No doubt he's off to Saudi with all of the other world class stars in the Twilight of their career. Not that he needs the money...

Deserves a testimonial for his excellent and long undervalued service. Maybe a joint one with Vassell is a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Deserves a testimonial for his excellent and long undervalued service. Maybe a joint one with Vassell is a possibility?
    This thread deserves a testimonial.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    This thread should have a testimonial.

Eoin Doyle retiring as well.

Meanwhile another City legend is still going strong

Ross McCormack has joined Liversedge as as Player/Director of Football.

ABOUT LIVERSEDGE:

Liversedge play their football in Cleckheaton, Kirkless, West Yorkshire, on the border with Hightown in Liversedge.

They are currently members of the Northern Premier League Division One East (8th tier of English football, fifth tier of non league pyramid).