+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Velikonja

Re: Velikonja

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    323k. Hope we had a sell on clause to pocket a slice of that lovely bounty
    My Slovenian isn't as good as it could be but I'm pretty sure the 323k is his weekly wage there. Worth every penny too.

The "Slovenian Shearer" just signed for Genclerbirligi in Turkish super league for 500k

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    The "Slovenian Shearer" just signed for Genclerbirligi in Turkish super league for 500k
    Sheep or Alan?

It was 5 years ago yesterday Velikonja signed for us. I was at a commemorative banquet last night, raising funds for the Bring Etien Home campaign. The auction of memorabilia (including a team sheet from the 2013 DVP game with Bristol City) wasn't quite as successful as I'd hoped but Jimmy the Jock committed himself to a sponsored bike ride from Cardiff to Slovenia and back. An incredible gesture.

I pledge £10.50.

#bringetienhome

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    It'll be a travesty if they don't name a stand after him when he goes.Come to think of it,The Etien Velikonja Arena has a certain ring to it.I'll start up a petition tomorrow night.
    He has to pay Langstone £8m if the naming rights are taken up.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    He has to pay Langstone £8m if the naming rights are taken up.
    I think Jimmy's bike ride for Bring Etien Home will capture the public's imagination in the same way Ian Botham's walk through the Himalayas did in 1995. Money won't be an issue by the time he gets back.

I think Jimmy's bike ride for Bring Etien Home will capture the public's imagination in the same way Ian Botham's walk through the Himalayas did in 1995. Money won't be an issue by the time he gets back.

Bit of a slow night for me so I'm doing an online Slovenian crossword to pass the time. Stuck on this one though - 'scored the winner tonight for Olimpija Ljubljana to send them four points clear at the top of the Slovenian Premier League (5,9).' I feel I should know it.
    This deserves more credit :clap:

It was 5 years ago yesterday Velikonja signed for us. I was at a commemorative banquet last night, raising funds for the Bring Etien Home campaign. The auction of memorabilia (including a team sheet from the 2013 DVP game with Bristol City) wasn't quite as successful as I'd hoped but Jimmy the Jock committed himself to a sponsored bike ride from Cardiff to Slovenia and back. An incredible gesture.
    I was so proud that I was asked to undertake this momentous task , we have had so many shit footballers at Cardiff over the years, somehow Etien stands imperiously amongst them all. 3 appearances , no goals yet he has achieved legendary status .
    I have no doubts Warnock would be the man to get the best out of Etien, I have therefore agreed to pedal the 1100 odd miles to Sempeter pri Gorci in aid of the bring Etien home campaign .
    I will be posting my new just giving page in the coming weeks .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I was so proud that I was asked to undertake this momentous task , we have had so many shit footballers at Cardiff over the years, somehow Etien stands imperiously amongst them all. 3 appearances , no goals yet he has achieved legendary status .
    I have no doubts Warnock would be the man to get the best out of Etien, I have therefore agreed to pedal the 1100 odd miles to Sempeter pri Gorci in aid of the bring Etien home campaign .
    I will be posting my new just giving page in the coming weeks .
    Cometh the hour, cometh the man. Thanks again. See if Surge will give you that £10.50 up front, you can put it towards food for the journey, spare tyres and stuff like that.

Signed for Willem II in Holland's top division this week. Here's a headline that needs no translating whatsoever (apart from the word naar).

http://www.voetbalbelgie.be/nl/article.php?id=126904

It's an odd one this. I haven't seen a statement from the club explaining why we didn't re-sign him, I must have missed it. It's hard to play devil's advocate here but I suppose one line of thought is that while Warnock is successfully building a squad made up of lower league journeymen it could unbalance things if we suddenly draft in one of Europe's big hitters.

Signed for Willem II in Holland's top division this week. Here's a headline that needs no translating whatsoever (apart from the word naar).

It's an odd one this. I haven't seen a statement from the club explaining why we didn't re-sign him, I must have missed it. It's hard to play devil's advocate here but I suppose one line of thought is that while Warnock is successfully building a squad made up of lower league journeymen it could unbalance things if we suddenly draft in one of Europe's big hitters.
    I suspect given games in the Dutch league he'd score goals - defences there aren't the greatest. Plus of course, he's a better goalscorer than Pele - and unlike Pele, he doesn't need that blue pill.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    I suspect given games in the Dutch league he'd score goals - defences there aren't the greatest. Plus of course, he's a better goalscorer than Pele - and unlike Pele, he doesn't need that blue pill.
    The old Velikonja v Pele debate again. I'm not getting involved, there are good arguments for both of them.

The old Velikonja v Pele debate again. I'm not getting involved, there are good arguments for both of them.
    Not really - Etien scored against the finest defences ever known to mankind ( and indeed, several species of extra-terrestrial ). Pele scored against a lot of crap defences in Brazil and America. Plus he put the "Limp" in "Limp Bizkit". So not only is Velikonja a better striker, he's also more manly.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Not really - Etien scored against the finest defences ever known to mankind ( and indeed, several species of extra-terrestrial ). Pele scored against a lot of crap defences in Brazil and America. Plus he put the "Limp" in "Limp Bizkit". So not only is Velikonja a better striker, he's also more manly.
    I suppose Pele would say he was voted World Player of the 20th Century but, to be honest, there wasn't much competition back then. I think Steve Lynex made the shortlist.

I suppose Pele would say he was voted World Player of the 20th Century but, to be honest, there wasn't much competition back then. I think Steve Lynex made the shortlist.
    Santos, New York Cosmos and Brazil ( where he was carried by all stars ).

Birmingham, Leicester, Cardiff and Telford.

One played at the highest level, the other is Pele.

I have heard from an impeccable source that Heathrow is going to be renamed the Etien Velikonja International Airport to commemorate that time he had a full fat latte in the Terminal 3 Costa Coffee!

A legend!

Velikonja...the greatest player ever to put on the blue shirt of Cardiff City?

All jokes aside, this guy was knocking in 4 goals a game for our development squad yet never given a chance. Shocking behaviour by malky up until Trollope (I believe he left during slades reign?)

A quick update. Having drawn a blank in his first game, Etien came up with two first half goals last night as Willem II won 3-1 at Roda. That's a strike rate of roughly a goal a game at his new club. I know a lot of posters on here were saying we had a good transfer deadline day but, as far as I can tell, our failure to sell Zohore and replace him with Velikonja has cost us £17m and two goals so far. Lucky we didn't have a bad transfer deadline day.

A quick update. Having drawn a blank in his first game, Etien came up with two first half goals last night as Willem II won 3-1 at Roda. That's a strike rate of roughly a goal a game at his new club. I know a lot of posters on here were saying we had a good transfer deadline day but, as far as I can tell, our failure to sell Zohore and replace him with Velikonja has cost us £17m and two goals so far. Lucky we didn't have a bad transfer deadline day.
    I knew he would come good he'll be in a Liverpool shirt anytime soon .

We will regret not taking that alledged 17 million .

I agree, we missed a trick there, he's been tearing up Europe for the last few years!

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I agree, we missed a trick there, he's been tearing up Europe for the last few years!
    If he's that great how come no other club has come in for him?

Interesting to see Sky Sports wading into the Saturday night ratings war by unveiling their secret weapon last night, Etien Velikonja. A masterstroke in my opinion (in entertainment terms he's Ant and Dec rolled into one) and he didn't disappoint, expertly firing in a penalty to give Willem II the lead against Ajax. He was inexplicably subbed after an hour which consigned Willem II to their fate (they lost 3-1) but I imagine TV executives will be studying the viewing figures with interest. The Eti Factor? Strictly Come Penalty Taking? Stranger things have happened.