+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Velikonja

Re: Velikonja

Dont get the fixation with this bloke on here. He was useless when he was here and still is useless as far as I can see, playing at a poor level in mostly empty stadiums. I recall we paid about one million for him - now that was a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Dont get the fixation with this bloke on here. He was useless when he was here and still is useless as far as I can see, playing at a poor level in mostly empty stadiums. I recall we paid about one million for him - now that was a waste of money.
    Outstanding player during his 5 years with us.

Your comments just show how a bad press can influence opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Outstanding player during his 5 years with us.

Your comments just show how a bad press can influence opinions.
    Thanks for your support, I'd hate to think I was swimming against the tide on here.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Written with a straight face. Brilliant!

As Queen Latifah and De La Soul would say, once again Velikonja is back. On as a 63rd minute sub in Willem II's latest pre-season friendly, his first appearance since last year's ACL injury which threatened to end both his career and this thread. As I understand it, Willem II could have released him but are now giving him the chance to prove his fitness which seems sensible, top strikers don't come cheap these days as we are finding out. Seems a long time ago that we could pick up a striker for less than £2m who then goes on to score 29 goals in 52 first team appearances as a City player and still gets talked about as a failure. It makes you nostalgic for the good old days.

Surely at 29 he is still at the peak of his powers?
    Younger than Troy Deeney!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Surely at 29 he is still at the peak of his powers?
    Younger than Troy Deeney!
    Yes, you'd have thought so. After an ACL injury it's hard to know if he'll be able to reach the level he was at before but once the goals start going in again I'd like to think we'll be making moves to bring him home in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Yes, you'd have thought so. After an ACL injury it's hard to know if he'll be able to reach the level he was at before but once the goals start going in again I'd like to think we'll be making moves to bring him home in January.
    People talk about Cup Finals and European campaigns but the year when Velikonja and Healey played up front together for the U23's is the jewel in the crown of my 60 years watching City. TOBW filled many a blog column listening to me eulogising about those two.
    Wonder how many of those who say Velikonja is useless actually saw him play.

Rumour has it that Geraint Thomas rode on Etien's old bike on Alp D'uez.

Bring him home.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Rumour has it that Geraint Thomas rode on Etien's old bike on Alp D'uez.

Bring him home.
    The Slovenian Primoz Roglic won a stage and finished 4th overall this year, it would be hard not to put that down to the Velikonja factor. Slovenian sportsmen have seen what he's achieved and are now thinking 'that could be me'.

Bloody literalists. I thought everyone realised that when we were campaigning to Bring Etien Home, we meant his spiritual home in Cardiff and not his birthplace in Slovenia. Never mind, accidents happen.

I was starting to wonder if the ACL injury that had kept Etien out of the game for over a year and eventually forced him to be released by Willem II in Holland was going to end his career. However, ND Gorica, Etien's first club, were smart enough to realise that broken crayons still colour and have re-signed him. He scored two in his first game back yesterday in a 4-3 defeat at Celje. Most of you probably watched a stream but I'll put the highlights up anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m21H32aXPwI

Coincidentally, I'll be in Tilburg (where Willem II are based) next month to see my youngest. I'll be asking the locals what it was like having a living legend play for their club, it will be interesting to see the feedback I get.

Bloody literalists. I thought everyone realised that when we were campaigning to Bring Etien Home, we meant his spiritual home in Cardiff and not his birthplace in Slovenia. Never mind, accidents happen.

I was starting to wonder if the ACL injury that had kept Etien out of the game for over a year and eventually forced him to be released by Willem II in Holland was going to end his career. However, ND Gorica, Etien's first club, were smart enough to realise that broken crayons still colour and have re-signed him. He scored two in his first game back yesterday in a 4-3 defeat at Celje. Most of you probably watched a stream but I'll put the highlights up anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m21H32aXPwI

Coincidentally, I'll be in Tilburg (where Willem II are based) next month to see my youngest. I'll be asking the locals what it was like having a living legend play for their club, it will be interesting to see the feedback I get.
    Did well for the first goal there

Two more goals for the great man today (yes, another two) as Gorica beat Celje 4-0 to take them up to 8th place in the Slovenian Prva Liga.

I was in Tilburg recently, visiting my youngest, and was interested to find out what the locals had made of Etien during his spell there as a Willem II player, a spell that was cut short by an ACL injury. I didn't have much chance to find out but I did come across a couple of Willem II fans in a bar and asked them their opinion of Velikonja. I don't speak any Dutch so I'm none the wiser I'm afraid, the expression they used sounded like 'fokken golhangaar' which presumably means lethal predator or something.

Anyway, here are the highlights of today's game, apologies if they've already been posted on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RMMZsTtJhs

Too late to bring him back for the Palace and United games?

Slovenian football:

First half - 10 goals
    Second half - 1 goal

Don't be late to the games! Etien takes a mean penalty so obviously no use to us.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Too late to bring him back for the Palace and United games?
    Stranger things have happened, let's wait and see.

Stranger things have happened, let's wait and see.
    I'd put him straight in on Saturday ,I've missed him

He need to come back home!

the player thatwas loaned out and is now too old..lets back what we have , got a new striker today ....move on.

Without him, relegation. With him it would have been Champions League NQAT!

Gone but never forgotten, forever in our hearts. Cardiff City legend Etien Velkionja

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Without him, relegation. With him it would have been Champions League NQAT!
    Deserves a statue