+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Euro In/Out

Euro In/Out

Interested what the early thoughts are. Cameron's deal doesn't seem to have convinced the maybes to stay in.

As far as I can see alot of people are likely to vote out.

Re: Euro In/Out

It won't make any difference, the problem is not in or out of Europe.

Where's the 'Shake it all about' option?

In for me, mostly because I trust the EU to put people's interests before those of big business far more than I do Westminster.

Quote Originally Posted by Observer wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 10:39
    Maybe not for you, but for many it can be.

I honestly don't feel qualified to contribute to making such an important decision.

Sadly, I suspect that a significant percentage of the population will do whatever The Sun/Daily Mail will tell them to do.

Either way, I am very confident that intelligent thinking and economic analysis will have no impact whatsoever on the eventual outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 10:45
    I honestly don't feel qualified to contribute to making such an important decision.
    They were saying similar on the news this morning. Stats are made up by each side, so the economic argument is nothing but fallacy. It will end up being the personalities that win in. The Boris' and others that will come out on each side.

in. EU grants are vital for wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 10:45
    Quote Originally Posted by Observer wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 10:39
    Maybe not for you, but for many it can be.
    Same team, different colours.

Bookies offering 7/4 on the vote to leave. and 2/5 on the stay.

It feels a bit closer than that at the moment.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/eu-refe rendum/referendum-on-eu-membership-result

Quote Originally Posted by Alex DeLarge wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 10:42
    Where's the 'Shake it all about' option?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 10:56
    I appreciate that if we left the EU, there is no guarantee that current recipients would still get the benefits they do, but bear in mind a future UK government could honour all EU expenditure, and still have £23m a day change for whatever else it wanted (NHS,Schools, Tax cuts, defence etc)

Quote Originally Posted by redjk wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 10:42
    In for me, mostly because I trust the EU to put people's interests before those of big business far more than I do Westminster.
    Also, while I agree with the principle that debts should be honoured, I think you only need to look at Greece to see that your point is dubious.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 11:45
    Quote Originally Posted by redjk wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 10:42
    The EU is all about free trade and business interests and has facilitated the dubious tax arrangements for big business, that are now in place across Europe.
    Greece has been screwed into the ground.

Probably out for me, but I will be shoring up my knowledge on the topic.

For me, the balance is this:

On one side, I support international bodies, and support being part of organisations that share ideas, risks, and collaborate for the greater good. In that sense, generally speaking, being part of the UN, EU, NATO, etc is a good thing.

This though is balanced with the fact that while being in a pan-Europe organisation is theoretically good, in practice, the EU is an abysmal organisation, grossly expensive and undemocratic, and severely impacts upon sovereignty. I also think it's oft-alledged 'raison d'etre' that it has kept the peace in Europe is increasingly untrue - I think a centralised body over such diverse peoples and nations is increasingly adding to conflict, rather than preventing it.

My mind is very open to changing my opinion, and if a third options of 'Inside a significantly reformed EU' were presented, then I'd vote for that.

However, as things stand, I'm peering into the leave camp from my position sat on the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 11:44
    My response to this is that:
    It would all get spent in London.

Feedback

does anyone think we would have had two world wars if we adopted the EU in 1900? i don't and that is reason enough to keep us at the top table of european politics.

If Britain leaves the EU then Scotland would leave Britain shortly afterwards,, leaving Wales locked into an England that will only ever have a Tory government.
    I can only see the London centric nature of Westminster government being increased following a brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 12:04
    does anyone think we would have had two world wars if we adopted the EU in 1900? i don't and that is reason enough to keep us at the top table of european politics.
    The 1st World War was a squabble between Queen Victoria's grandchildren, so I'm not sure what the EU would have done about that. Ditto the Nazi sympathizers prior to WW2, there were leading people in this country who wanted us to join in on their side.

Personally I'd be all up for deeper integration into Europe, and the formation of a European super state.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 11:50
    the EU is an abysmal organisation, grossly expensive and undemocratic, and severely impacts upon sovereignty. I also think it's oft-alledged 'raison d'etre' that it has kept the peace in Europe is increasingly untrue
    The EU, while not being perfect, is as democratic or as undemocratic as our system, except, it seems, with better environmental protections and workers rights (from what I can gather so far; I'm still trying to work it out myself).

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 11:44
    My response to this is that:
    2 - EU granst can work, you just need capable people in control of them. The people of wales dont want this, else we wouldnt still be voting for labour.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by redjk wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 12:21
    Personally I'd be all up for deeper integration into Europe, and the formation of a European super state.
    by far the most sensible post in this thread

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Observer wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 12:18
    Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 12:04
    The 1st World War was a squabble between Queen Victoria's grandchildren, so I'm not sure what the EU would have done about that. Ditto the Nazi sympathizers prior to WW2, there were leading people in this country who wanted us to join in on their side.
    I said that political differences would be discussed around the table. can you really see the EU going to war today over something like the assassination of a politician? I don't see that at all.