+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Virgin Media BB Upgrade but...

Virgin Media BB Upgrade but...

Got a "free" (I'm sure they'll get their money for it somehow) upgrade from 150 meg to 200 meg today which is great but they always seem to neglect the upload speed?

Why is this? The upload speed is important these days with so many people using the 'cloud' as a backup/storage option so why do companies give it such little attention?

Re: Virgin Media BB Upgrade but...

Because most people only consider the download speed. If they increased upload then they'd have to decrease the download and they wouldn't get to shout about how fast their broadband is.

Still a bit shit though, my BT Infinity is "only" 78Mb/s download but still faster than yours going the other way.. (19 normally).

You only had 2mb not long ago, 12mb is decent. Mine has been 12mb upload all the way from 60mb up to 150mb.

And you dont need much upload, that is only for communicating with servers. Its not intended to host applications that use much upload.

Most cloud servers wont accept much over 5mb anyways, the limit is not your upload its their speed. How much do you keep on cloud? You could still upload 1gb in 15 minutes on 12mbps

Just checked I am on 200mb aswell, only getting 60 right now for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon wrote on Wed, 02 December 2015 13:26
    You only had 2mb not long ago
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Wed, 02 December 2015 13:31
    ?
    Might not have been 2, but sure it was under 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon wrote on Wed, 02 December 2015 13:33
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Wed, 02 December 2015 13:31
    ?
    I remember you posting about the last speed upgrade and you posted the speedtest.net image. The upload speed was surprisingly low, told you to ring virgin and that improved it.
    Don't think that was me. I've had around 10meg for years now.

Getting confused here then.

Part of the reason upload is so much smaller is to stop people using if for business, as a business is likely to use alot more upload. If you get business broadband, then the upload and download is similar. Though it costs alot more than residential broadband.

Broadband, by definition, is asynchronous - there will always be a huge disparity between download (which 99% of traffic is) to upload.

I signed up with Virgin a few years ago on their basic 10Mb - a huge improvement on the 600Kb ( ) I was getting on non-cable, due to the distance from the exchange.
    Since then I have had free upgrades to 20Mb, 50Mb, and now 70Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Wed, 02 December 2015 12:52
    Got a "free" (I'm sure they'll get their money for it somehow) upgrade from 150 meg to 200 meg today which is great but they always seem to neglect the upload speed?
    Some gimp from virgin rang me a month ago asking if I want 200 meg bb, said I wasn't bothered to be honest as 50 was ok. He said he'd throw in movies aswell and all for £10 a month more. Still not bothered he said he'd throw in a new TiVo box to replace my old v+ box I have in bedroom. A week later I had the movies but nothing else. After about 10 calls that got me nowhere they gave me faster be, looks like they were rolling it out anyway. Still, I got a load of shiiit films I'll never watch hey

Just had a E-Mail from Virgin ref by Boardband telling me the good news about the faster speed BUT

"From February next year, your bill will be going up by £3.99 a month"

It's never something for nothing in this life.

Quote Originally Posted by KGBluebird wrote on Wed, 02 December 2015 20:40
    Just had a E-Mail from Virgin ref by Boardband telling me the good news about the faster speed BUT
    Richie-poos.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Wed, 02 December 2015 13:36
    ?
    I remember you posting about the last speed upgrade and you posted the speedtest.net image. The upload speed was surprisingly low, told you to ring virgin and that improved it.
    I think it was me, just checked mine again and it's a massive 1.07 Mb/s, crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R wrote on Wed, 02 December 2015 21:16
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Wed, 02 December 2015 13:36
    ?
    its the lead lined walls

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman wrote on Wed, 02 December 2015 21:23
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R wrote on Wed, 02 December 2015 21:16
    ?
    I think it was me, just checked mine again and it's a massive 1.07 Mb/s, crap.
    The cable comes through a hole in the wall.