+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ali vs Tyson in their prime

Re: Ali vs Tyson in their prime

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 18:10
    In their prime i'd say Ali was undoubtably the greatest all 'round boxer of the two, but as a spectacle I would rather watch Tyson, albeit for the few rounds his opponent could stay on his feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 18:05
    Pete watch Ali/Clay's fights from the 60s and indeed the Foreman and Frazier battles of the 70s, as boxing spectacles they are on a different planet to Tyson's wham bam thank you mam fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 17:58
    Oh I have Steve, i've watched a lot of boxing over the years, over all weight categories, I also boxed for a few years as a schoolboy, I had to earn this face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 17:45
    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 17:31
    Only a fool would dispute Ali and his all 'round boxing abilities, the guy was clearly the greatest 'boxer' of all time, he was intelligent, efficient and entertaining, but as a kid, well early teen by time Mike Tyson started to take opponents out in a couple of rounds he had an impression on me, he was no boxer, he wasn't very intelligent, he had no plan B, not even sure he had a plan A either, but he was exciting to watch, for me at least, he remains the greatest boxer, for sheer entertainment, of my generation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:22
    Not sure i'd feel the same about him if i'd shelled out a few hundred dollars to watch a 2 round bout at Caesars Palace though.
    Don't sit me next to Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 00:27
    Tyson was an animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Bread wrote on Wed, 31 December 2014 23:55
    This. And this is why he would have beasted Ali.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DON wrote on Wed, 31 December 2014 18:57
    I doubt he'd have laid a glove on Ali who would've seen him coming a mile off.
    Tyson would have beaten ali without a doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Flashman wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 06:49
    Rocky Marciano.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZ Jack wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 00:16
    Had a well documented one punch fight with an Australian service man in The Adelphi pub in Wind Street.

Tyson ruled by fear in his early years, think a lot of the fighters he fought were beat before they got into the ring. Marvis Frazier being a fine example. Ali on the other hand, wouldn't have had any of Tysons bully boy tactics and would have got right into Tysons head during the fight build up. I think Ali would have done him by the 6th. Someone said that Tyson would have had a punchers chance, but Ali was incredibly durable and had a tough chin, he even went the distance with Norton with a broken jaw.
    I think Ali was the greatest, but for me his fights with Liston were very suspect, as it was a well known fact that Liston was controlled by the mob. The knockout delivered to Ali,in I think the first fight, looked very soft for a giant like Liston to get knocked out by. Don't think we'll ever know though, as Liston was killed in mysterious circumstances a few years later.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 21:28
    Tyson was an animal.
    The same ali that cooper belted about?
    Hmmm. You forget to mention that Ali went on to beat Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 22:44
    Tyson was an animal.
    He was specifically referring to the "doubt he'd have laid a glove on Ali" comment though.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 22:51
    Tyson was an animal.
    Shurrup mush.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 22:53
    Tyson was an animal.
    He was specifically referring to the "doubt he'd have laid a glove on Ali" comment though.
    Oh sorry. Clearly what I meant to say was Ali was a shape-shifting tiger cloud and no person in history has ever managed to occupy the same room as him, nevermind punch him in the face.

Tyson was an animal.
    yes, you forget to mention that after cooper knocked ali down. ali came out and took him apart. cooper could not lay a glove on him after that, and the fight was stopped to stop cooper from receiving further punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 22:58
    Tyson was an animal.
    Shurrup mush.
    Now you're talking sense Colonel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 23:07
    Tyson was an animal.
    Shurrup mush.
    Oh sorry. Clearly what I meant to say was Ali was a shape-shifting tiger cloud and no person in history has ever managed to occupy the same room as him, nevermind punch him in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 23:09
    Tyson was an animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 23:07
    Shurrup mush.
    Now you're talking sense Colonel.
    I think you are finally getting a handle on Ali's extraordinary ability.Its taken a while and you have been a little on the slow side but eventually you got there. I am proud of you Colonel C.Please consider yourself to be exonerated(until the next time)

This is all well and good but what is best...

Messi on an Xbox One game or Ronaldo on a PS4 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Flashman wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 23:25
    Ali on PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 23:27
    Commonly referred to as a 'Claystation 2'.

I think a lot of people get caught up in the Tyson wave because at the time he/it was a whirlwind, when you reflect on it there are many, many heavyweights who had superior careers to the unquestonably excellent Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Fri, 02 January 2015 00:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 23:27
    Ali on PS2

Quite a few here have talked about Ali doing 'rope a dope' and letting Tyson tire himself out but I suspect their boxing knowledge is 'tainted' by that particular Ali fight.

That was NOT Ali in his prime. I'm not being patronising but younger people will have seen all the 'legendary' clips of Ali and most do not concentrate on him in his prime. Totally fearless because of confidence in his own ability, the PRIMETIME Ali was so much better than people can imagine.

He was as fast as Sugar Ray Leonard FFS - that's ridiculous hand speed for a heavyweight and that speed generated some real punching power. Like Calzaghe (who lost knockout power due to injury) Ali was so fast that every punch had percussive quality, just didn't look as spectacular sometimes.

Tyson had a dodgy chin too, and there is no way he could attack Ali and protect that chin at the same time.

Trust me pop-pickers, Ali was much better than many people imagine, and he is rated the Greatest anyway.

Rope a dope? Nah, Ali would never have sat back and let Tyson get at him, and to be fair Tyson throws so many unconventional shots from outrageous angles that I think he would have got past.

Ali would have been at his supreme best, moving, jabbing and chopping Tyson up.

No disrespect to Tyson, but Ali was on another level, and that's no disgrace with even Tyson happy to admit it.

What did Ali ever do to Colonel?

I think Tyson would land hardly anything on Ali and would just get picked off each time he launches a haymaker.

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin wrote on Fri, 02 January 2015 10:21
    Quite a few here have talked about Ali doing 'rope a dope' and letting Tyson tire himself out but I suspect their boxing knowledge is 'tainted' by that particular Ali fight.
    ^^^ this, tydfil white made this mistake, no rope a dope tactics from ali pre 67, "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, i,m the greatest mohammed Ali"

Quote Originally Posted by packerman wrote on Fri, 02 January 2015 11:16
    That was NOT Ali in his prime. I'm not being patronising but younger people will have seen all the 'legendary' clips of Ali and most do not concentrate on him in his prime. Totally fearless because of confidence in his own ability, the PRIMETIME Ali was so much better than people can imagine.
    tyson was not the most intelligent of fighters, and ali would have been simply too quick and skilful for tyson. he would have got frustrated and tired very quickly.

Yep. For a heavyweight the Ali of the 60s was incredibly quick in mind,hands and feet. Utterly exceptional. As he slowed down in the 1970s he would use the ropes to great effect. He didn't need to in his younger days.

I find his pre match catch phases do my head in a bit, but I had no idea that he could play boxing or even rope a dope.
    I still reckon Tyson would deck him tho, even if he did his own ring introduction and whipped up the crowd with a bit of men of Harlech.