+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ali vs Tyson in their prime

Re: Ali vs Tyson in their prime

Quote Originally Posted by bobh wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 10:45
    Most of you are forgetting that Ali, in his prime, was called Cassius Clay.
    clay changed his name to ali in 64, he boxed in his prime 64-67 as ali, changing his name had nothing to do with his refusal to be drafted,

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 10:39
    That's a very good point. How many decent boxers did Tyson ever fight? Not many.
    He beat neither Lewis nor Holyfield.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue wrote on Wed, 31 December 2014 19:44
    Tyson. In about 90 seconds.
    Personally I think he would have destroyed Tyson over 9/10 rounds, a little like Calzaghe v Lacy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Winston wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 11:09
    That's a very good point. How many decent boxers did Tyson ever fight? Not many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 10:39
    Looking through his history the only fighters he beat that are even remotely notable are Trevor Berbick, Donovan Ruddock, Frank Bruno and a nearly 40 year old Larry Holmes.
    Exactly and Bruno, Berbick and Ruddock were journeymen boxers who wouldn't have come close to Ali,Frazier,Foreman or Norton a decade earlier.

Ali way past his best kod a prime Foreman.

That version of Ali would have easily beaten Tyson.

Ali in his prime would have humiliated Tyson and knocked him out.

Tyson kod some decent heavyweights but lost and got knocked out against the good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 11:20
    Ali way past his best kod a prime Foreman.
    and some not so good ones knocked Tyson out, Danny Williams and Kevin McBride.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird wrote on Wed, 31 December 2014 19:03
    Tyson was an animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by packerman wrote on Wed, 31 December 2014 19:02
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Wed, 31 December 2014 18:58
    I just can't see how anyone could cope with Tyson in his prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DON wrote on Wed, 31 December 2014 18:57
    think sugar ray vs duran, duran gave up as he couldn't lay a glove on sugar ray, ali vs tyson, same result
    I dont think there are any really disputes on the results of their 3 fights and in the most famous Frazier was stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf2013 wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 11:27
    That is a very good write up, only wished Ali had quit while he was at the top, the defeats when he was past his best tarnished slightly his superb record.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 11:29
    Tyson was an animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird wrote on Wed, 31 December 2014 19:03
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Wed, 31 December 2014 18:58
    think sugar ray vs duran, duran gave up as he couldn't lay a glove on sugar ray, ali vs tyson, same result
    I have to disagree joe Frazier beat Ali In my and others option
    Had Frazier's corner not thrown in the towel at the end of the 14th Ali's corner may well have done. Both fighters had apparently reached a near death situation such was the intensity of that bout.You are right Ali won it but it was incredibly close.

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf2013 wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 11:27
    Just about sums it up nicely

People mention Lewis and Klitschko but surely Ali's speed would have been too much for these guys despite the size? Klitschko turned like the titanic ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 11:34
    Tyson was an animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilts wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 11:29
    This.
    I have to disagree joe Frazier beat Ali In my and others option
    Which fight?
    For me prime Frazier also kos prime Tyson.

"Personally I think he would have destroyed Tyson over 9/10 rounds, a little like Calzaghe v Lacy"
    ^^^ This

headlight

Tyson was an animal.
    This.
    Tyson paid 4 million pound to Lennox Lewis to avoid facing him when both fighters were in their prime.

Quote Originally Posted by steve davies wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 14:38
    Tyson was an animal.
    This.
    Maybe some of us prefer Tyson because some of us were young when Tyson was dominant and ruthless. That is part of what gets me about him - he was pure animal, as close to a street fighter as I've seen (this showed later on with his biting, I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Bread wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 14:53
    Tyson was an animal.
    This.
    Tyson paid 4 million pound to Lennox Lewis to avoid facing him when both fighters were in their prime.
    For me, for pure spectacle and excitement though, Tyson was the greatest boxer of my generation.

ali by the proverbial mile, tyson was a mauler and an animal to boot, but ali in his prime would have done exactly like he he did to foreman in 74, he would have let him punch himself out, he was too quick and too clever to get hit most of the time.

the dope on a rope tactic would have done for tyson, exactly as it did for foreman. ali was the greatest sportsman let alone greatest heavyweight of all time. his only problem was he went on too long, hence the reason he is in the state he is in today.

Tyson was an animal.
    This.
    17 May 1996 - The handlers of Mike Tyson couldn't win in court, so they paid Lennox Lewis, who agreed Thursday to step aside and let Tyson fight World ...

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 15:01
    Tyson was an animal.
    This.
    What year was that? I always thought Tyson was at his best early on and I can't remember Lewis being around then.
    Can't get the link to work properly but if you google "Tyson pays Lewis" it's there for all to see

Quote Originally Posted by steve davies wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 15:37
    Tyson was an animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 15:01
    This.
    What year was that? I always thought Tyson was at his best early on and I can't remember Lewis being around then.
    Maybe some of us prefer Tyson because some of us were young when Tyson was dominant and ruthless. That is part of what gets me about him - he was pure animal, as close to a street fighter as I've seen (this showed later on with his biting, I guess).
    I'm not disputing that, merely pointing out that for me at least, Tyson was the most exciting fighter of my era, starting around 1985 and ending around 1990, not the greatest, the most thrilling to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 15:46
    Tyson was an animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve davies wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 15:37
    This.
    That's pretty much it, as I mentioned earlier in the thread Tyson was by no means a 'boxer', he wasn't disciplined and he didn't have the stamina for a distance fight, but what he did have was unpredictability and the tendancy for extreme violence, he was in my opinion the most exciting of the modern age boxers, there was no way he could duke it out with the likes of Ali though, not over distance, the bloke was designed for power and short burst, like a 100m runner, up against an intelligent, patient boxer with stamina he would encounter problems, and Ali would've known exactly how to pick him off.
    I agree he was the most exciting heavyweight for years but avoided Lewis. It's a shame Joshua is going to struggle for credible opponents for the next few years

tyson had no competition when he was around, pretty much like nowadays. when ali was fighting there was far more decent fighters around, and he was at at the top for over a decade.

tyson was burnt out and washed up within 3-4 years, no comparison whatsoever.

In This Thread: People struggling to understand the phrase "In their Prime".

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:02
    In This Thread: People struggling to understand the phrase "In their Prime".
    Tysons was before he found a journeyman who decided to fight back. After his defeat he was no longer seen as invincible. To himself as to others as well.