+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ali vs Tyson in their prime

Re: Ali vs Tyson in their prime

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:05
    In This Thread: People struggling to understand the phrase "In their Prime".
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:02
    Alis prime was in the 60s before he was stripped of the title.
    I don't know what giving Tyson no credit whatsoever achieves other than making you look daft for suggesting it.

tyson was a great fighter in HIS time, but to compare him with ali is totally laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by chris wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:12
    Tysons was before he found a journeyman who decided to fight back. After his defeat he was no longer seen as invincible. To himself as to others as well.
    How is it "laughable" to compare one heavyweight boxing champion with another? Sometimes I wonder if you guys understand what you're saying before you post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:14
    Tysons was before he found a journeyman who decided to fight back. After his defeat he was no longer seen as invincible. To himself as to others as well.
    exactly mate he could not fight for years, when he was in his prime because he refused to go to vietnam, and still came back and kicked arse.
    because quite simply, mr gaddaffi ali was a far superior fighter than tyson, and i saw both of them fight. of course it is just a matter of opinion, but my guess his you were probably a twinkle in your dads left bollock when ali was strutting his stuff.

In their prime i'd say Ali was undoubtably the greatest all 'round boxer of the two, but as a spectacle I would rather watch Tyson, albeit for the few rounds his opponent could stay on his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by chris wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:19
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:14
    exactly mate he could not fight for years, when he was in his prime because he refused to go to vietnam, and still came back and kicked arse.
    tyson was a great fighter in HIS time, but to compare him with ali is totally laughable.
    You do realise they recorded those fights onto videotape don't you? In fact, with the benefit of multiple angles and action replays the people at home watching probably saw more than those in the crowd did.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:09
    However the fighters he beat in his prime dont compare with those Ali beat when past his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:30
    I don't know what giving Tyson no credit whatsoever achieves other than making you look daft for suggesting it.
    I do wonder if people just have a knee-jerk reaction to anything Ali related. Like some of the comments in here along the lines of "Tyson wouldn't get near Ali". What a weird thing to say, do people really believe that shite?

As it seems you have by choosing Tyson.

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:22
    In their prime i'd say Ali was undoubtably the greatest all 'round boxer of the two, but as a spectacle I would rather watch Tyson, albeit for the few rounds his opponent could stay on his feet.
    ali was a showman. an artist, he had charisma and personality, and was unbelievably quick with his feet and fists, ali in his prime would have torn tyson apart.

Quote Originally Posted by EdinburghBlue wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:33
    ROFLCOPTER

Quote Originally Posted by chris wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:35
    Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:22
    agree to a point but tyson never had the same competiton around him that ali did, foreman, frazier, norton etc. tyson was a one trick pony, early knockout. ali would have danced round the ring and picked him off and eventually gone in for the kill.
    "Torn Tyson apart"!!! Are you for real or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:35
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinburghBlue wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:33
    ROFLCOPTER
    Don't think he was a heavyweight!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:33
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilts wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:30
    Tyson was a very , very good fighter.
    Perhaps because Ali fought some of the greatest heavyweights of all time and was the best of them. Who did Tyson beat? Frank Bruno. Big whoop. Not in the same league.

agree to a point but tyson never had the same competiton around him that ali did, foreman, frazier, norton etc. tyson was a one trick pony, early knockout. ali would have danced round the ring and picked him off and eventually gone in for the kill.
    ali was a showman. an artist, he had charisma and personality, and was unbelievably quick with his feet and fists, ali in his prime would have torn tyson apart.
    Ali would have beaten him easily. Foreman and Frazier would have torn him apart

ali would have eaten him for breakfast.

...which is EXACTLY what i've said over the 3 or 4 posts i've contributed to this thread, apart from the "torn Tyson apart" comment which is just silly, 'outfoxed', 'out manoeuvred', 'wore Tyson down', 'out boxed', 'out smarted', all of those things I would agree with, but not "torn Tyson apart".

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:44
    ali was a showman. an artist, he had charisma and personality, and was unbelievably quick with his feet and fists, ali in his prime would have torn tyson apart
    ok then mate, he would have embarassed tyson, shown him up. made him look a right ****, i think you get the picture.

your quoting ali doing a ropa dopa tactic on tyson, therefore you don't understand ali in his prime, in his prime he would not of needed to use said tactic

Quote Originally Posted by packerman wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 16:55
    no ali used the rope a dope tactic on foreman, because he was a slugger same as tyson, thats why ali was the greatest, he had brains as well as the brawn. he had different methods of fighting for different fighters, tysons method was purely punching power go for the kill from round 1, if he had fought ali, tyson would have been dead on his feet by the latter stages, then ali would have just moved in and finished him off .

Pete watch Ali/Clay's fights from the 60s and indeed the Foreman and Frazier battles of the 70s, as boxing spectacles they are on a different planet to Tyson's wham bam thank you mam fights.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 17:31
    Pete watch Ali/Clay's fights from the 60s and indeed the Foreman and Frazier battles of the 70s, as boxing spectacles they are on a different planet to Tyson's wham bam thank you mam fights.
    Not sure i'd feel the same about him if i'd shelled out a few hundred dollars to watch a 2 round bout at Caesars Palace though.

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 17:45
    Oh I have Steve, i've watched a lot of boxing over the years, over all weight categories, I also boxed for a few years as a schoolboy, I had to earn this face.
    Nail on the head Pete, you'd willingly shell out to watch Ali because an evening's entertainment would be guaranteed, good chance of a bit poetry thrown in as well. The man was pure box office. The Capitol cinema full at 2am to watch him, 2000 people, unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 17:58
    Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 17:45
    Oh I have Steve, i've watched a lot of boxing over the years, over all weight categories, I also boxed for a few years as a schoolboy, I had to earn this face.
    He had the kind of charisma only seen from the true greats of a bygone era, Ali, Elvis Presley, James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Tony Jefferies...

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 18:05
    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 17:58
    Only a fool would dispute Ali and his all 'round boxing abilities, the guy was clearly the greatest 'boxer' of all time, he was intelligent, efficient and entertaining, but as a kid, well early teen by time Mike Tyson started to take opponents out in a couple of rounds he had an impression on me, he was no boxer, he wasn't very intelligent, he had no plan B, not even sure he had a plan A either, but he was exciting to watch, for me at least, he remains the greatest boxer, for sheer entertainment, of my generation.
    .............and Bob from Newport.