+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 1927, blake v man city, young v Leeds, 2008 run.....

1927, blake v man city, young v Leeds, 2008 run.....

Considering how few games we play in the fa cup it's astonishing how many of the clubs greatest ever moments occurred in this competition.

It's strange that every year though few people can be bothered with it- until we get a more interesting tie.

It's not just Cardiff of course- it's the same at all clubs.

I have always been annoyed at clubs flippantly treating the fa cup- whoever you are I just don't understand it. As we showed in 2008 (I think we were lower in the league when we went to chase town than we are now) anyone can have a right pop at it- and there is nothing like a good cup run.

With us specifically we are as mid table as mid table can be- for that reason I feel tonight is huge. Our season really needs a lift, the whole football club needs a lift- the fa cup is exactly what could provide it- Come on city!

Re: 1927, blake v man city, young v Leeds, 2008 run.....

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal wrote on Fri, 02 January 2015 17:55
    Considering how few games we play in the fa cup it's astonishing how many of the clubs greatest ever moments occurred in this competition.
    It's really not.

Conversely though - if I remember correctly, in 2008 we were pushing for promotion via the playoffs for the majority of the season.

Our terrible end of season form, and consequent mid table finish was blamed on the distraction the FA Cup was having. Hasselbaink's goal against Wolves at Ninian or Whittingham's goal at Riverside - both bested by Joe Ledley's cracker at Wembley

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel15 wrote on Fri, 02 January 2015 17:59
    Conversely though - if I remember correctly, in 2008 we were pushing for promotion via the playoffs for the majority of the season.
    Nope we were rock bottom of the whole division in November. I'm sure our form improved after Christmas a long side our cup run.

I loves the FA cup and was disheartened to see us become a team to take or leave it under Malky post-rebrand but tonight doesn't feel special, even if we do have some amazing memories in it. AFC Wimbledon Liverpool on Monday is going to be the tie I get excited for

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal wrote on Fri, 02 January 2015 18:00
    Our terrible end of season form, and consequent mid table finish was blamed on the distraction the FA Cup was having. Hasselbaink's goal against Wolves at Ninian or Whittingham's goal at Riverside - both bested by Joe Ledley's cracker at Wembley
    I don't remember being rock bottom but definitely bottom 3/4. Charlton away being a particularly painful game!