+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Driving Venice To Croatia

Driving Venice To Croatia

Thinking Istria in Croatia next summer, flying in to Venice spending a couple of days there before driving to Istria, looking at stopping not far from Porec, other plans include a day trip to Kranj in Slovenia.

Anyone done it ?

Re: Driving Venice To Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 11:34
    Thinking Istria in Croatia next summer, flying in to Venice spending a couple of days there before driving to Istria, looking at stopping not far from Porec, other plans include a day trip to Kranj in Slovenia.
    I haven't done the raod trip you mentioned but Slovenia was an absolute gem when I visited it about 15 years ago. I fact, I made a few contributions to the Lonely Planet Guide (Slovenia edition) that was subsequently published. I still have the Teach Yourself Slovene course too!

Of little help Peajay but I'm going to Slovenia in March. Flying to Trieste and then train to the ski resorts in Slovenia for a couple of days.

I went to Crostia last year but flew direct to Dubrovnik. Lovely place.

Done it twice on the magic bus to Athens in the 80's. Stopped at Venice then went via Trieste and to Ljubljana en route to Belgrade and Thessaloniki.
    Croatia was lovely

Travelled quite a bit in that region in the last couple of years. Whatever you do, spend as much time as possible in Slovenia/Croatia. Triglav National Park and Lake Bled are sublime as is Plitvice Lakes in Croatia. Then, the Dalmatian Coast in Croatia is just sublime -did Zadar, Split and the island of Hvar, and done Dubrovnik separately. Might be worth going to a smaller island (or not staying in Hvar town) to avoid tourists - there are car ferries.
    Roads are decent, hotels/hostels are cheap and of great quality.

Other options could be drive down from Venice, get the boat from Bari or somewhere and work your way up the Dalmatian Coast towards Istra.

The Croatian hookers are wonderful, big chesty ones mmmmm

I worked on a Slovenian project spanning six months where I was in the country for about half of that. As TBG says it is a fantastic country with really hospitable people. I have been back for a couple of holidays to the east of the country since.

I brought the family over for a weekand we drove from Ljubljana to Venice for a day trip. Roads were good then and should be even better now and access into Croatia looked straightforward.

Unless you have a specific reason for going to Kranj I would consider other options. Ljubljana is a little gem and Skofja Loka about 10k from Kranj is also more attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 13:19
    I worked on a Slovenian project spanning six months where I was in the country for about half of that. As TBG says it is a fantastic country with really hospitable people. I have been back for a couple of holidays to the east of the country since.
    The original poster mentioned Porec. I drove there as well but all I recall is the rocky coastline and the large number of "Nudo Camps" which attracted holidaymakers mainly from Austria.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 12:06
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 11:34
    Anyone done it ?
    You haven't?

I'll do it!!!

Sorry, I misread the thread title.

I thought it said "Driving Vincent to Coatia!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 13:19
    Kranjska Gora looks stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 15:25
    I brought the family over for a weekand we drove from Ljubljana to Venice for a day trip. Roads were good then and should be even better now and access into Croatia looked straightforward.
    I went to Kranjska Gora in the Summer months and you can see what an attraction it is in winter but like some other ski towns it was pleasant rather than stunning. If you are comfortable driving in the mountains then go up the Vrcic Pass. It is stunning and a route through there and the Soca valley back to Ljubljana is a bit of a detour but worth it for the landscape and the history as it was the scene of fierce fighting in WW1.

If you dont mind me asking how much is the skiing costing you Mike? Fed up of Alps prices

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 15:25
    That's where I was based. It was an excellent place to access locations in all directions. You can even walk to the Italian and Austrian borders when the weather permits.