+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The vast majority of new housing built since 2000 has been bought by landlords

Re: The vast majority of new housing built since 2000 has been bought by landlords

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:24
    One interesting thing about the housing market is that house building is usually higher in areas where there are generally more people renting. It's important to note that in terms of affordability just building homes is the best thing that you can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:07
    No question that just building homes is the answer - but it isn't going to happen in the short/medium term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:06
    In the meantime the buy-to-let market is benefiting from some serious advantages over the buy-to-occupy market. Interest free mortgages, offsetting mortgage interest against tax for example - available to the landlord, but not the owner occupier. This inevitably skews the market and pushes both rental and purchase prices skyward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Mears wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 14:21
    Perhaps it is time to recognise that the property-owning democracy dream is fading, and to address the lack of protection/tenancy rights currently afforded to tenants in the UK. Germany is usually mentioned at this point ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 14:16
    Reduces rents surely? I don't think there are any interest free mortgages available are there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Mears wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 14:06
    I agree thought that tenancy rights are an issue, I actually think a healthy rental market is really beneficial to both the economy and people's ability to live in a home that best suits their needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 13:53
    OOps! I meant interest only
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Mears wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 12:32
    I'm not sure why you think rents would be reduced? The competition to buy from a shortage of housing stock is still very much present, but is just skewed heavily in favour of landlords. Have I missed something?
    I rented when I was younger, it was no issue

Re: The vast majority of new housing built since 2000 has been bought by landlords

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:37
    Only scanned briefly through the thread and the article - someone who's read both fully may be able to correct me.
    Linky

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:49
    One interesting thing about the housing market is that house building is usually higher in areas where there are generally more people renting. It's important to note that in terms of affordability just building homes is the best thing that you can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:29
    No question that just building homes is the answer - but it isn't going to happen in the short/medium term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:22
    In the meantime the buy-to-let market is benefiting from some serious advantages over the buy-to-occupy market. Interest free mortgages, offsetting mortgage interest against tax for example - available to the landlord, but not the owner occupier. This inevitably skews the market and pushes both rental and purchase prices skyward.
    Perhaps it is time to recognise that the property-owning democracy dream is fading, and to address the lack of protection/tenancy rights currently afforded to tenants in the UK. Germany is usually mentioned at this point ....
    Reduces rents surely? I don't think there are any interest free mortgages available are there?
    I agree thought that tenancy rights are an issue, I actually think a healthy rental market is really beneficial to both the economy and people's ability to live in a home that best suits their needs.
    I'm not sure why you think rents would be reduced? The competition to buy from a shortage of housing stock is still very much present, but is just skewed heavily in favour of landlords. Have I missed something?
    If there is more rental accommodation available, then you would expect lower rents than if there were fewer rental units available.
    Ah - I see. Not sure I agree though.
    It costs what the money lenders want it to cost, working hand-in-hand with other 'interested parties.'

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:53
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:22
    If there is more rental accommodation available, then you would expect lower rents than if there were fewer rental units available.
    If that's all you think then I take it that you couldn't give a rat's arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 16:02
    Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:53
    You miss the point. You argue that renting is unfair because the fruits of your toils aren't yours and cannot be passed on to your children. I suggest that thatcher was instrumental in making this happen for millions - she was and it was the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sfound it a problem v4 January 2015 15:07
    Hypocritical or what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick the Miller wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 16:36
    Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sfound it a problem v4 January 2015 15:07
    Slight difference, Michael. How is it hypocritical?

I never said he shouldn't rent, I said with his film star salary he really shouldn't be in social housing - he could afford to live elsewhere thus freeing up much needed social housing for those that really needed it

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 16:41

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:10
    Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:05
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:04
    Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 14:59
    Germany doesn't really gave a homebuyer market with most Germans renting. The rental market is very strong and provides great flexibility allowing the younger generation to move around freely
    You scare me feedback.
    Why? The German market is very fluid. When at university my german colleagues couldn't understand the fixation with wanting to buy and be tied down.
    You don't have to live with yours, you do still have the right to do what you want.. for now

Simple - why not vote for the political party that only allows 1 house ownership per person

Simple - why not vote for the political party that only allows 1 house ownership per person - and out right bans any company from stock piling houses - by taxing them out of existence.

If such a policy was what the people wanted then there will be a political party about to announce this - surely

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 16:54
    Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 16:41
    Where did I say he should buy it?

Food and shelter are basic human rights. You can tell a lot about people who aim to profit from it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 17:59
    Food and shelter are basic human rights. You can tell a lot about people who aim to profit from it.
    Don't you be collecting any rain water mind, it does not belong to you.

Should people build houses for others for free?

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 18:17
    I am talking about fleecing people through exploitation

Here's a cute video of a kitten who really, really wants to play

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 18:39
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSHFtiqqqrU

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 18:52
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 18:39
    Here's a cute video of a kitten who really, really wants to play

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 18:37
    Are you suggesting that people that build houses are exploring people?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 19:02

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 19:07
    Sorry to upset you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 19:16
    Apologies, Timothy, that should have stated exploited.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 19:16
    Apologies, Timothy, that should have stated exploited.
    = my pleasure