+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ty Hafan - Reading money

Ty Hafan - Reading money

After the success of the last campaign of donating Colchester ticket money to Ty Hafan, I plan to run this again for the Reading game. However, in light of Thursday's meeting, I'll hold off and see what comes of this meeting and people's thoughts afterwards.

Thanks
    Nick

Re: Ty Hafan - Reading money

Nick,

did the echo and other media pick up on it?

Unfortunately not. I tweeted Chris Wathan and Steve Tucker who both replied but said they were away and to contact the newsdesk. I did twice but no reply.

I contacted BBC via their 'tell us a story' link on the website to no avail. I did get a tweet from the presenter of the coverage on BBC saying they'd discuss it, but they didn't directly.

Good work try again

Quote Originally Posted by Youngster wrote on Mon, 05 January 2015 21:32
    Unfortunately not. I tweeted Chris Wathan and Steve Tucker who both replied but said they were away and to contact the newsdesk. I did twice but no reply.
    Can i also suggest that there are a large proportion of fans who are willing to boycott but for one reason or another would not donate the full cost of the night to charity, it is important that you do not put pressure on people to donate full prices, although you obviously should suggest it, push the point that any donation no matter how small will be appreciated along with a boycott of the match.

Well done Youngster. I will definitely contribute if you do another. I don't want to do any charities out of money, but how about another great charity that will be close to many hearts in South Wales, Velindre Cancer Centre.

Quote Originally Posted by HP Source wrote on Mon, 05 January 2015 21:50
    Well done Youngster. I will definitely contribute if you do another. I don't want to do any charities out of money, but how about another great charity that will be close to many hearts in South Wales, Velindre Cancer Centre.
    yes maybe choose a couple of charities based in South Wales and split the money equally

Chris - I was considering saying not the full price, or at very most keep it to £10 even if ticket prices increase to say, £15. Although the point was to put the ticket money to a better cause, there is definitely no intention to put pressure on and I know what you mean, it can feel a bit like when the sponsorship form comes round in work and you don't want to give less than others.

HP - It's tough re charities, personally I've run half marathons for Latch, but I realise Ty Hafan is close to many people. I think the idea of splitting between charities will only be best if we get major support for this, but happy to go with a majority. May run a quick poll on a choice of charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngster wrote on Mon, 05 January 2015 22:02
    Chris - I was considering saying not the full price, or at very most keep it to £10 even if ticket prices increase to say, £15. Although the point was to put the ticket money to a better cause, there is definitely no intention to put pressure on and I know what you mean, it can feel a bit like when the sponsorship form comes round in work and you don't want to give less than others.
    As long as it's a local charity don't think you'd get much opposition for changing it. Then again it does complicate it somewhat to keep having to work out a charity.

Also keep to the wording that directs the appeal to fans 'choosing not to go to the game' that you used in the posts pre-Colchester and on the Just Giving page you set up.

I would avoid using 'boycott'.

I think from reading the support posts that there were a lot of fans who didn't go to Colchester - and who donated - who didn't see themselves as part of an organised boycott. They chose not to attend for a variety of reasons, some were boycotting around the re-brand, some were demotivated because of the quality of football, some were making a one-off statement in response to the latest Tan interview and may attend future matches.

Keep the 'appeal' as inclusive as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 wrote on Mon, 05 January 2015 22:10
    Also keep to the wording that directs the appeal to fans 'choosing not to go to the game' that you used in the posts pre-Colchester and on the Just Giving page you set up.
    Fully agree Jon, I tried to keep it as 'all encompassing' as possible, because as you say, people have different reasons, all of which are totally valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngster wrote on Mon, 05 January 2015 22:17
    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 wrote on Mon, 05 January 2015 22:10
    I would avoid using 'boycott'.
    http://www.cardiffcity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/ty_hafan_benefits _from_stay_away_fans_850367/index.shtml

Yeah I was sent a message from people who read your site Mike but not the mb, so it definitely had a different audience.

Cheers
    Nick