+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our unbalanced midfield.

Our unbalanced midfield.

It seemed to me and those around me today that we were very narrow in the middle. With from left to right Noone, Whitts, Gunnar, and Adeyemi. The latte three playing very much as a 3 in the middle.

If this narrow set up was an attempt at dominating the midfield then it clearly didn't work. As a result when our fullbacks had the ball there was no one in front of them to pass too, resulting in the hoof ball that transpired.

I would think a flat midfield 4 with Whits on the left, Gunnar, Adeyemi in the middle , and Noone on the right would have given us width and a lot more attacking options with the ability to retain the ball.

I see no reason why ALF couldn't drop in when we haven't got the ball to make it a midfield of 5.

Thought Adeymi had a good game today and adds some physicality to the middle of the park.

As for Whits on the left, well, I would be more than happy to see Declan John given a chance, giving us real pace down each wing. Harris too is an option wide right. This is going to upset the whittingham fans, but of rme he isn't a central midfielder as he does not have the engine or physicality, neither is he a winger.

Re: Our unbalanced midfield.

It's apparent to the fans, journalists etc that the midfield is not working and hasn't really since Slade took over or when Ole was in charge.

The only one who can't see that at the moment is Slade, as he seems happy to persist with 4-4-2. I really think with the signing of Revell who offers a physical presence as well the ability to close down, 4-5-1 is the way to go with a midfield of Harris, Noone, Whitts, Gunnarson and Adeyami.

My only fear with the 4-5-1 is the front man gets isolated and we would lose the movement of ALF. we seem to have very few passing options when we do mange to get hold of the ball now as it is. I thought Revell did well today, certainly gives us something that we don't have at the moment.

Adeymi is like a heavy car in Mario Kart, not much is getting past him and he's good when he gets going but boy is he slow to accelerate.

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Sat, 10 January 2015 19:11
    Adeymi is like a heavy car in Mario Kart, not much is getting past him and he's good when he gets going but boy is he slow to accelerate.
    This is my favourite comparison ever

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross CCFC wrote on Sat, 10 January 2015 19:06
    It's apparent to the fans, journalists etc that the midfield is not working and hasn't really since Slade took over or when Ole was in charge.
    ^^ THIS

I think we'll see midfield recruitments for sure.

Glad it wasnt just me who noticed. Slade probably felt compelled into picking Adeyemi cos he had s good game in the cup (in the middle). As a result he played him out of position. Every time brayford got the ball and looked to get forward he no-one to link up with
    Adeyemi would have to leg it from the middle of the park to help him out. Lets hope the manager saw that aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop wrote on Sat, 10 January 2015 19:18
    Glad it wasnt just me who noticed. Slade probably felt compelled into picking Adeyemi cos he had s good game in the cup (in the middle). As a result he played him out of position. Every time brayford got the ball and looked to get forward he no-one to link up with
    hope so but I'm not convinced he did. The midfield stayed the same throughout the game, and as for bringing Declan on for 10 mins, that bordered on the pointless. Especially when you consider Malone is the better defender and we were trying to hold onto our lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines wrote on Sat, 10 January 2015 19:09
    My only fear with the 4-5-1 is the front man gets isolated and we would lose the movement of ALF. we seem to have very few passing options when we do mange to get hold of the ball now as it is. I thought Revell did well today, certainly gives us something that we don't have at the moment.
    I thought he played really well