+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Team is slowly taking shape and slade is working towards sorting mess he inherited out

Team is slowly taking shape and slade is working towards sorting mess he inherited out

Moving forwards I think there were enough signs there today for people who watched the game (as opposed to just attending it) as to what he is trying to do. The team are clearly trying to press higher up the pitch (even kenwyne did it!) and regain possession in the opposition half- something we did on a few occasions and got things from.

The team also seem to be working on set pieces as we caused problems with almost everyone today.

In defence he clearly likes his defenders to defend and we will either go wide when on the ball or direct and long- attempted passes through the opposition midfield almost eliminated totally (hence the possession stats). It will never be the most pretty to watch (but you all wanted pulis here?!) but it is what is needed right now as can stabilize us and give us a platform to work from.

Playing this way you do really need 2 outlets high up the pitch so I would guess ALF and revell will be the front 2 pairing as both are busy and will make things difficult for the opposition defence.

I think the midfield diamond is always going to struggle with noone in the team as I just don't think he is strong enough or aware of his surroundings to interchange or drop in etc..... And I would say he is a weak link at the moment and will be replaced by pilkington.

I think already with slade we are seeing a purpose to his signings and we can guess why he has signed players- what a contrast to ole who signed players then clearly had no idea what he was going to do with them.

Slade inherited a ridiculously large (and expensive) squad of 39 pros- all very similar and not really a single leader among them. Whoever got the job needed to take a step back and stabilize us. If slade can move us further up the table (he has achieved 6 places already) while reducing the squad, reducing the wage bill, selling some players for money and replacing them with cheaper ones, then Id say he will have done a half decent job wouldn't you?

I'm not saying we will walk the league now. I am not even saying what slade is trying to do will work in the long run! But I am saying I think slade deserves a chance from today onwards and he certainly deserves better than the abuse he took at the last home league game.

The club has been a circus for a while now. We have seen that spending relatively large amounts of money on players is no guarentee of success, quality or enjoyment. Slade building a squad of younger, hungrier players excites me more to be honest.

Re: Team is slowly taking shape and slade is working towards sorting mess he inherited out

That's a good assessment of our current squad, with a couple of additions in the right positions we could be good next year, this season has probably gone.

Re: Team is slowly taking shape and slade is working towards sorting mess he inherited out

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal wrote on Sat, 10 January 2015 21:29
    Moving forwards I think there were enough signs there today for people who watched the game (as opposed to just attending it) as to what he is trying to do. The team are clearly trying to press higher up the pitch (even kenwyne did it!) and regain possession in the opposition half- something we did on a few occasions and got things from.
    thats how i think

Quote Originally Posted by DORSETBLUE wrote on Sat, 10 January 2015 21:37
    That's a good assessment of our current squad, with a couple of additions in the right positions we could be good next year, this season has probably gone.
    This is because of the awful pre season which is the only time players can get fit

On several occasions we had one or two players attacking. Where does that fit into Slade's plans?

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Sat, 10 January 2015 21:48
    On several occasions we had one or two players attacking. Where does that fit into Slade's plans?
    Don't worry, it will probably be stopped very soon

[quote title=Father Dougal wrote on Sat, 10 January 2015 21:29]Moving forwards I think there were enough signs there today for people who watched the game (as opposed to just attending it) as to what he is trying to do. The team are clearly trying to press higher up the pitch (even kenwyne did it!) and regain possession in the opposition half- something we did on a few occasions and got things from.

The team also seem to be working on set pieces as we caused problems with almost everyone today.

In defence he clearly likes his defenders to defend and we will either go wide when on the ball or direct and long- attempted passes through the opposition midfield almost eliminated totally (hence the possession stats). It will never be the most pretty to watch (but you all wanted pulis here?!) but it is what is needed right now as can stabilize us and give us a platform to work from.

Playing this way you do really need 2 outlets high up the pitch so I would guess ALF and revell will be the front 2 pairing as both are busy and will make things difficult for the opposition defence.

I think the midfield diamond is always going to struggle with noone in the team as I just don't think he is strong enough or aware of his surroundings to interchange or drop in etc..... And I would say he is a weak link at the moment and will be replaced by pilkington.

I think already with slade we are seeing a purpose to his signings and we can guess why he has signed players- what a contrast to ole who signed players then clearly had no idea what he was going to do with them.

Slade inherited a ridiculously large (and expensive) squad of 39 pros- all very similar and not really a single leader among them. Whoever got the job needed to take a step back and stabilize us. If slade can move us further up the table (he has achieved 6 places already) while reducing the squad, reducing the wage bill, selling some players for money and replacing them with cheaper ones, then Id say he will have done a half decent job wouldn't you?

I'm not saying we will walk the league now. I am not even saying what slade is trying to do will work in the long run! But I am saying I think slade deserves a chance from today onwards and he certainly deserves better than the abuse he took at the last home league game.

The club has been a circus for a while now. We have seen that spending relatively large amounts of money on players is no guarentee of success, quality or enjoyment. Slade building a squad of younger, hungrier players excites me more to be honest. [/quote

Totally agree especially the last paragraph. Fed up of overpaid ex premier cast offs. Let's find some gems ourselves