+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Quitting smoking withdrawal symptons

Quitting smoking withdrawal symptons

I had my last cigarette on November 30th. I previously quit for around 12 months after using Champix and I remember the Champix made me feel so poor last time around that I assumed the withdrawal symptons were due to the Champix.

This time around I have quit cold turkey and I am permenantly tired no matter how much sleep I get. I also feel like I am on the verge of a full blown cold without ever quite getting there. I realise that my body has been through a shock and is now beginning to repair itself but I don't recall feeling this lousy when I last quit.

Have any of you experienced similar sypmtons which have persisted for months rather than weeks?

Re: Quitting smoking withdrawal symptons

I had bronchitis for 7 months after I quit, until I started smoking again.

Nobody likes a quitter.

Get a vapouriser.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.15 wrote on Wed, 14 January 2015 22:46
    Get a vapouriser.
    Good advise Barrie

I went cold turkey New Year's Eve. Doing ok so far, although I've bought an electronic thing which I've used a few times.
    My biggest problem is that I actually enjoy a decent smoke, but I worked out that over the course of a year I could buy about five season tickets with the money I could save.
    I've not experienced your symptoms, but dear God I miss it!

I gave up smoking 10 years ago and it was a strange 8 months or so (after smoking for 20 years). I suppose your body needs adequate time to readjust. It all worked out in the end though and I've felt great ever since.

I gave up 3 years ago.
    The first 3 years were the hardest ..

More seriously - have not had even a puff of one cigarette for several years, but the first year was hard, and yes, all sorts of weird symptoms that I would not have suspected.

I got addicted to the Nicotine gums that I used to help stop for 18 months.
    Kicking them was not entirely easy either.

Nicotine free, and symptom free now. I dont even think about them ever. It does take time.
    If that is what you want - it is worth the effort.

@Aprhys - it wouldn't hurt to make an appt to see your doctor to discuss your withdrawal symptoms eh?

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0718194551/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_o02Tu b0FFBAR5

Buy this book. You won't want to smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf1927 wrote on Thu, 15 January 2015 07:33
    Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0718194551/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_o02Tu b0FFBAR5
    Four other fellas in work quit the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana /<0>/ wrote on Wed, 14 January 2015 23:37
    I gave up 3 years ago.
    I agree - I gave up years ago now, the first few months were the hardest but after that it got easier and easier. I never consider smoking now to the point that it feels completely foreign. The benefits are huge and not just the health ones, as you said the money you save is incredible. I did get withdrawal symptoms - I was waking up in pools of sweat for about a month afterwards - although I gave up alcohol at the same time so I'm not sure what that was from. Stick at it and it gets easier and easier.