+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T: notifying building work

O/T: notifying building work

If I have an electrician in to do some work, I don't need to speak to building control because he deals with the relevant notifications through NICEIC of whatever. If I have some windows changed, I don't need to speak to building control about it as the window fitter deals with the relevant notifications through FENSA or whatever.

Is there a similar way to avoid having to get building control involved for building work? I'm having an internal wall taken out and an RSJ put in. It's a cheap job - about £1800 - but on top of that I need to pay £337 for building control. Is it not possible for builders to sign up to an organisation that allows them to self-certify the work like other trades do?

Thanks

Re: O/T: notifying building work

No but it should be. I suppose you will have to go through the Building Control process as questions will be asked when you come to sell the property.

Yeah, I'll get it all done properly, but was just wondering if there was the possibility to find a builder to self-certify. I spoke to building control this morning and set out all of the work we'd be doing, which includes adding circuits, replacing windows and moving internal walls. He said it would all have to be inspected. At the end of the call I said I found it a bit odd that they would want to inspect the electrics and the windows because they were being fitted by NECEIC / FENSA tradesmen... only then did he say that I don't need to put that stuff on the building control application.

Another quick question: I'm having 4 walls moved/removed. Only one of them is load-bearing. The load-bearing one is coming out first, the rest are coming out later. I suppose I should ask this of building control (or the builder), but do they only need to inspect the work on the load-bearing wall? Surely they don't care if I take out/move some other internal walls? Having said that, one of them is a bathroom wall so they will probably want to check the soundproofing on that (to avoid the noise of people having very loud shits reverberating through the rest of the house etc)

I would mention all in the same application just to cover yourself. At the end of the day any action by Building Control will only relate to the notifiable aspects of the work. Wouldn't it be better to do all the work at the same time as knocking down walls is a messy process?

Make sure you get a completion certificate at the end of the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Side of the Severn wrote on Thu, 15 January 2015 10:36
    I would mention all in the same application just to cover yourself. At the end of the day any action by Building Control will only relate to the notifiable aspects of the work. Wouldn't it be better to do all the work at the same time as knocking down walls is a messy process?
    Thanks for the help - appreciate it.

Building control has no expiration (once work has started), so although the work might not be done at the same time it can come under 1 notification.

I am planning on converting my loft in several stages over several years, I only need the 1 building control application.