+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much was promotion under Mackay down to money?

How much was promotion under Mackay down to money?

Since taking over at Wigan his record is played 9, won 1, lost 7, drawn 1.

Hardly the results of the great manager some have him down as.

I honestly think he had his limitations like any manager but Mike Morris could have got us promoted with the signings we made and the promotion clouds many people's judgment of Malky (textgate aside).

Re: How much was promotion under Mackay down to money?

I'd say 30% down to the good work he did in building a side in the previous season, 20% down to it being a very poor league that season, and 50% down to money. For example, being able to bring Campbell in made gave us a bit of a boost. The fact that we won the league when our top scorer only scored 8 still amazes me.

Slightly confused by your point but one thing for sure is that Wigan fans have seen enough and want him out.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 12:35
    Slightly confused by your point but one thing for sure is that Wigan fans have seen enough and want him out.
    He is certainly doing worse than Uwe before him up to this point.

However if it really is that terrible, I suppose Wigan have a get-out-of-jail-free card in the event that this FA inquiry (which is shamefully late) finds that he's done something naughty (which he has).

The point is that under Mackay we were promoted and were never in the Premiership relegation zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 12:38
    If it's too early for us to judge Slade, it is too early for Wigan to judge Malky too.
    I say this as someone who thought MM did great early on for us . It just started going wrong when the big spending came around.

No.

Malky Mackay built a team unit here, and he was allowed to do that because, there was a large departure of players here when he arrived, and he had money to bring players in.

You cannot deny that building that unit took a fair amount of skill. He was also lucky to have that money available in his second season. If i was to call it i would probably call it a 60/40 split in favour of skill, maybe 70/30.

Where he is struggling now, is turning around an existing ground of players that are currently taking a club backwards. Its a different set of circumstances to his time at Cardiff City. He also now has the pressure and expectation of a promotion winning manager, which he didn't have hanging over him during his time at Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 12:33
    I'd say 30% down to the good work he did in building a side in the previous season, 20% down to it being a very poor league that season, and 50% down to money. For example, being able to bring Campbell in made gave us a bit of a boost. The fact that we won the league when our top scorer only scored 8 still amazes me.
    I'd say the Championship in 2012/13 was the strongest it's been for some time. Not simply because we won it - but for the first time in quite some time 55 points was needed to survive relegation. That points tally is remarkably high

I like trains.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel15 wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 13:11
    I'd say the Championship in 2012/13 was the strongest it's been for some time. Not simply because we won it - but for the first time in quite some time 55 points was needed to survive relegation. That points tally is remarkably high
    All that shows is that there was not a group of 3-4 very good sides like there often is.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 13:26
    All that shows is that there was not a group of 3-4 very good sides like there often is.
    Having said that, plenty teams that have thrown money at it have been unsuccessful and I'd say most of Malky's signings that year (or the year before) were good value.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 13:39
    That season there were a lot of very similar sides, so you didn't have to be much better than the rest to win it. We went out of our way to not lose and nick goals.
    I agree with most of what you say. MM got in good value players for the championship campaign and made them very difficult to beat

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 12:38
    If it's too early for us to judge Slade, it is too early for Wigan to judge Malky too.
    What did he do?

They always look rubbish when you are sitting at the top.

It was Tan's money and support towards his manager that got us promoted, it's just a pity that Malky ( who played the fans like a fiddle with his fist pumping etc)
    ****ed it up.....

Quote Originally Posted by calonlan wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 12:38
    The point is that under Mackay we were promoted and were never in the Premiership relegation zone.
    We were hurtling down the table under MM and given another game or two he would have got us there.

Quote Originally Posted by purple haze2 wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 14:34
    We were hurtling down the table under MM and given another game or two he would have got us there.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 12:51
    Malky Mackay built a team unit here, and he was allowed to do that because, there was a large departure of players here when he arrived, and he had money to bring players in.
    This is pretty much the same team that attained 5th position in this division and lost an FA Cup semi final to Arsenal on penalties last season

Quote Originally Posted by purple haze2 wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 14:44
    Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 12:51
    You cannot deny that building that unit took a fair amount of skill. He was also lucky to have that money available in his second season. If i was to call it i would probably call it a 60/40 split in favour of skill, maybe 70/30.
    But it was clearly going backwards this season, Hence why they sacked Rosler.

We weren't hurtling anywhere. We were keeping our heads above water in our first season in the Prem when most people I know said they'd sttle for 17th. Once Malky left and Ole took over, we were permanently in the relegation zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 14:42
    History will show we were not in the relegation zone.
    That's not rewriting history, just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by purple haze2 wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 15:15
    You can rewrite it as many times as you like.
    I was looking forward to a change in style when Ole finally got the job though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 15:18
    Quote Originally Posted by purple haze2 wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 15:15
    You can rewrite it as many times as you like.
    I'm not saying Malky was brilliant - far from it. At least we competed in 99% of games (Southampton home the exception - Liverpool CC final the proof)