+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you ever been to a game and it's been called off?

Re: Have you ever been to a game and it's been called off?

Fulham away evening kick off March/April 80 or 81. Arrived at Craven Cottage in glorious sunshine to be told game called off as pitch flooded in flash storm. Waste of an afternoon off work.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sat, 17 January 2015 09:39
    City at home to some team or other ( Pompey ? ) in the 60's abandoned after half
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 23:01
    an hour and a City fan punched Scoular in the mouth afterwards.
    Well done Bob for filling in the details

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Sat, 17 January 2015 14:43
    City at home to some team or other ( Pompey ? ) in the 60's abandoned after half
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sat, 17 January 2015 09:39
    an hour and a City fan punched Scoular in the mouth afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 23:01
    I might be wrong, but I took the original post to be about games that were abandoned after they had started rather than postponements and I'm pretty sure you are referring to the only City match I'm aware of that has been abandoned in the last fifty years or so.
    City's game versus Plymouth was abandoned on 13-3-63 it was later played in May when we won 2-1 the Millwall game was 4-11-67 later played in December when we drew 2-2 both games were at home .Ive got both the programmes for those games

Quote Originally Posted by old blue wrote on Sat, 17 January 2015 14:24
    Think it was Derby at Ninian park about 5/6 years ago... called off for a frozen pitch, if I remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninian200 wrote on Sat, 17 January 2015 12:23
    Think we won the re-arranged match 6-0 or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by old blue wrote on Sat, 17 January 2015 11:54
    EDIT: Link here, dated Jan 10, 2009...
    Quote Originally Posted by celticknight wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 20:42
    December 19th 2009 referee( )Michael Oliver called off the championship game between Cardiff City and Leicester City at 10 30am due a frozen pitch.Cardiff club officials admitted the club had undersoil heating fitted but was not yet in working order.I think that was the only game postponed at the CCS due to frost .

I remember getting off a train at bloody Scarborough just to be told by a copper to get back on it as the match was off

Quote Originally Posted by gagsy_mc wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 20:27
    Rangers game called off after about half hour of football.
    Our first ever home match on a Sunday (home to Millwall I think, mid 70s?) - called off on the way down to NP.

Iam sure i went to Swindon on the train match was called off on the way home the cord was pulled we all run across the tracks to Brizzle Rovers ground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff wrote on Sat, 17 January 2015 17:51
    Has this happened to a Cardiff game in recent years? And if so when?
    February, it was freezing and we lost 4-0 Gordon Davies scored 2 for them and I reckon he missed a couple on purpose as well

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue wrote on Sat, 17 January 2015 18:14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff wrote on Sat, 17 January 2015 17:51
    Has this happened to a Cardiff game in recent years? And if so when?
    Our first ever home match on a Sunday (home to Millwall I think, mid 70s?) - called off on the way down to NP.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster wrote on Sat, 17 January 2015 17:58
    Iam sure i went to Swindon on the train match was called off on the way home the cord was pulled we all run across the tracks to Brizzle Rovers ground
    I was on that train, a special, it pulled into Swindon station and then turned right back again, Dec 72 or Dec 73? Half the train emptied when fans jumped off after stopping at Stapleton Rd for another train to go through.I'm sure the match at eastville was already underway.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 10:43
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepster wrote on Sat, 17 January 2015 17:58
    I was on that train, a special, it pulled into Swindon station and then turned right back again, Dec 72 or Dec 73? Half the train emptied when fans jumped off after stopping at Stapleton Rd for another train to go through.I'm sure the match at eastville was already underway.
    The look on the Rovers fans faces was priceless

Not to a football game, but I'm off to SF next week on the way to Arizona. Am flying several days early as I have tickets to a concert there.

Or did have as the venue has just pulled the plug and closed down. Can't now change my flight so will just have to twiddle my thumbs there . Worse places to do it though.

January 2010 we were away at Bristol City in the FA cup and it was postponed on the morning of the game due to a frozen pitch. I think it was a bubble game so the buses probably never left Cardiff, but me and my friend were on the train down from London having got tickets from the 1927 club. Didn't find out the game was off until we arrived at the ground and found there was nobody there!

Still never been to Ashton Gate.