+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Same old, same old.

Same old, same old.

Re: Same old, same old.

Plenty of debate on Call Rob Phillips on the radio yesterday evening. All callers with a city bias pleaded for Whittingham, and inferred also Gunnarrson to be dropped. Phillips would not have it, saying most of City's goals have come from his set pieces this season.

But it is plain that he does not create much from open play, and is IMO the main culprit for standing off opposing midfielders shooting at will from 20+ yards (look at Derby's equaliser for one example and many more since), and is just too slow.

So there is the conundrum.

There is a place for slowing and ageing midfielders even in the best of teams (Giggs, Scholes etc etc) but without people around to him to compensate for his lack of pace, he is a passenger.

And as for his ability to score from set pieces. Well I appreciate his pen miss was a rarity but I reckon he hasn't notched in a league game a direct free kick since Sep 2012 v Wolves. I know we don't get many due to the lack of possession near the opposition box, but when he has a chance, his efforts have ben for too long now lame.

Good read as usual Paul. And we have been banging each others ears on this board about the Central Midfield problem for months, but as you say it is the 'Same old, same old' It is time to drop Whittingham and/or Gunerson and introduce some pace into the team.
    Spedger

Agree totally about the inclusion of the younger players, what's to lose? We won't be promoted and we won't be relegated.

Yes Harris will frustrate, but how will he learn and become a better playing without playing. Anyway I think what he brings to the team would outweigh his limitations. Similarly I agree about Declan John, I don't see him as good enough defensively to be a top level left back but I do think he possesses the quality to be a good left sided midfielder at championship level. Ralls is at an age now where he needs game time to progress or maybe he needs to move on but I believe he's an intelligent footballer, has a quality left foot and can chip with a few goals, he's not scared to shoot from distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 11:18
    Good read as usual Paul. And we have been banging each others ears on this board about the Central Midfield problem for months, but as you say it is the 'Same old, same old' It is time to drop Whittingham and/or Gunerson and introduce some pace into the team.
    I think it has been the most consistent view in the board that these two cannot be played together or indeed that they should both go.Adeyemi,Ralls and Harris give is more energy and the sooner Pilkington is back the better.

What does Whitts do wrong? Partnered with two mobile and quick (Adeyemi may be mobile but he certainly is just as slow around the pitch) central players and he's the most deserving of his place. I'm also doubtful that John is quite at the level required just yet. Other than that I completely agree, our problems are so obvious that you don't need to watch the game any longer to know what people will be talking about afterwards and it's baffling that we do the same thing each week hoping for improvement.

ALF needs to be dropped because his confidence is rock bottom, Harris needs to come in because he's the only one with confidence and pace at the moment and Gunnarson needs to be dropped because he offers less than Whitts and the two of them are dreadful together. If that doesn't work then we can try swapping Ralls for Whitts too.

You say you haven't seen highlights.

I would advise keeping it that way, the defending is shocking.

On the plus side though, Revell scored one and assisted the other. Not bad considering the vitriol he was getting on here.

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 11:25
    What does Whitts do wrong? Partnered with two mobile and quick (Adeyemi may be mobile but he certainly is just as slow around the pitch) central players and he's the most deserving of his place. I'm also doubtful that John is quite at the level required just yet. Other than that I completely agree, our problems are so obvious that you don't need to watch the game any longer to know what people will be talking about afterwards and it's baffling that we do the same thing each week hoping for improvement.
    For the middle three or four years of his time with us, there was no question that Whitts was worth his place in our strongest team despite his relative lack of pace, mobility and strength, but, that's changed in the last two years - not lest because the stronger parts of his game are not quite as apparent as they once were.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 11:17
    Plenty of debate on Call Rob Phillips on the radio yesterday evening. All callers with a city bias pleaded for Whittingham, and inferred also Gunnarrson to be dropped. Phillips would not have it, saying most of City's goals have come from his set pieces this season.
    Whitttingham scored v Derby and we scored off a corner. So he's in credit for that game. I think we should be building a five man midfield around him.

Brayford is the issue. All the goals came from his side yesterday...take the 800k from sheff united and get mcnaughton back off loan if we can..Change chicken legs for fab on the left aswell

I'm really disappointed the adeymi ralls partnership that looked promising in the colchester game hasn't been seen since.

I agree about the youngsters- chuck them in. Harris above noone every single time. Ralls above gunnarson or even whitts. Yes Id give john a go before playing noone again as well. Who else? Can we get tom James involved?

Quote Originally Posted by @CCFCProgrammes wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 11:50
    Brayford is the issue. All the goals came from his side yesterday...take the 800k from sheff united and get mcnaughton back off loan if we can..Change chicken legs for fab on the left aswell
    I think he's been fairly solid and dependable this season but again there was no pressure on Lafferty for the 2nd and his defending for the 3rd was comical!

Marshall

Brayford
    Connolly
    Turner
    Malone

Harris
    Ralls
    Adeymi
    Whitts
    Pilkington

Revell

Would be my team if everyone is fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 12:00
    Marshall
    Perhaps Manga for Connolly but I'd agree with that as Kenwynne can't play 90 minutes it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 12:00
    Marshall
    I'm wondering however if Whitts is carrying an injury as he doesn't seem to be able to strike the ball with his usual freedom. If he is then we need another creative ball winner in the middle, which I don't think we have at the Club any more. Kim would be the closest we have at the moment and his confidence seems shot.

Marshall
    Connolly
    Manga
    Turner
    Adeyemi
    Fab
    Noone
    Whitts
    Ralls
    Kads
    Jones

3-1-5-1 formation with Adeyemi in front of the back 3

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross CCFC wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 11:55
    I think he's been fairly solid and dependable this season but again there was no pressure on Lafferty for the 2nd and his defending for the 3rd was comical!
    Watched virtually every game this year and theres been so many times ive thought why the fuc k did he do that then..the team we have at the moment would walk league 1...unfortunately we are only 8 points from heading there.

Malone looks pretty shocking to me, redmond torn him to shreds, Morrison and Turner didn't look to good either. Brayford been one of our more consistent performers this season. Not been playing as well recently though.

I can't agree with you about Adeymi Paul. I don't see anything in him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 11:41
    Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 11:25
    ALF needs to be dropped because his confidence is rock bottom, Harris needs to come in because he's the only one with confidence and pace at the moment and Gunnarson needs to be dropped because he offers less than Whitts and the two of them are dreadful together. If that doesn't work then we can try swapping Ralls for Whitts too.
    On the money Paul.

All 3 goals were horrendously defended. Hooper should never be allowed all that space at the back post. Brayford doesn't close Lafferty down quick enough for the second - and Moore really should do better with the shot. The least said about the third the better. Absolutely shocking.

Having said all that, we actually did create a few good chances. Sean Morrison had one cleared off the line, and immediately after Turner should head Le Fondre's back heel in. Revell missed a glaring opportunity from 5 yards putting it around 20 yards too high, and of course Whittingham's first penalty miss in a few years.

Five man midfield is the answer with revell up top. Harris, Adeyemi, Pilkington, Ralls and Whitts. I am a Whitts knocker, but in a 5 man midfield and with work and pace being taken up by the others i cvan see him contributing more and being dangerous.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 11:17
    I can't see how dropping the ONLY player to give a shit about the Club can help. Get rid of the rest of the idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by A-team wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 12:59
    Malone looks pretty shocking to me, redmond torn him to shreds, Morrison and Turner didn't look to good either. Brayford been one of our more consistent performers this season. Not been playing as well recently though.
    There are far too many shots from the edge of the box not being blocked or charged down and far too many uncontested crosses coming into our box. Its happening game after game and we have conceded more goals from shots outside the box than we have in recent seasons. Brayfords effort to blocks Lafferty's shot for the second goal on Saturday was pretty pathetic and his effort to prevent Jerome scoring the third was probably worse!! That is what Slade means by the defending is not good enough. We have to get tighter on the wide players and deny the cross or when we drive them inside we have to come out and block the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by A-team wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 12:59
    It was noticeable that when Declan John came on Redmond didn't look half as dangerous