+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cameron's 'unequal' Britain: 'Poor left behind and cities cast aside'

Re: Cameron's 'unequal' Britain: 'Poor left behind and cities cast aside'

Not seen them yet - but the problem you have to a certain degree is - tax super rich companies etc - what happens to their share price and the dividends they give to their shareholders.

Their shareholders are usually pension companies (which will effect your pension) - or they are investment companies that pension companies have invested in.

So you get rid of one problem and create another one.

If austerity was all just BS and there was a secret way in which we could get out of it - there would be a political party advocating it. The only party advocating spending more is the Green party as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 16:43
    Can somebody please explain what is the point in owning a million pound watch? It's hardly going to be more accurate is it
    Feck the bling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 19:44
    Not seen them yet - but the problem you have to a certain degree is - tax super rich companies etc - what happens to their share price and the dividends they give to their shareholders.
    Sadly, I can't see it happening.

The harsh reality of the fact is that there is a debt and a deficit - you cant ignore it.

Well you can I suppose - but you know what happens after that - Greece. That is where we would have been if it wasnt for the UK Govt having a valid plan that the international money markets approved of.

It is this country as a whole that has to pay for it - your choices are pay more tax or face cuts in public services - all main parties have opted for a balance of both.

Raising the rate to 50% and the tax take goes down - as people tend to then try and hide it, leaving at 40 42% and the tax take goes up.

What any UK Govt needs to do though is introduce a tax rule that stops Vodaphone, Amazon, Nestle, Microsoft, Oracle,Google,Apple etc not paying any tax in the UK even though they sell their goods, services and advertising here.

You wont be able to do that though unless you come out of the EU - as EU tax law currently states for example Companies can setup anywhere in the EU and pay tax at that countries rate - hence the Irish Republic is home to lots of companies with 5 people working there.

No easy answers

"I think a lower flat rate with severe penalties for avoidance/evasion is a much fairer and sensible way to balance the country's books." Germany as such a setup I believe - hence Steffi Graf and Borris Becker got into trouble a few years back

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 17:26
    Can somebody please explain what is the point in owning a million pound watch? It's hardly going to be more accurate is it
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 17:13
    Why spend £100 on jeans when you can buy other ones for £10. If you can afford it, what's the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 17:10
    The £100 jeans may perform better than the £10 jeans due to materials and manufacturing, but there is a law of diminishing returns. I wouldn't spend £500,000 on a pair of jeans though
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 16:57
    Well done, you've just answered your own question.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 16:47
    I said there is a law of diminishing returns. At some point there is no benefit in spending more
    That doesn't really apply. If you buy a watch for a million quid now, it'll most likely be worth more than a million in ten years time. The jeans will never ever be worth more than when you initially buy them.
    Wanna buy a watch mate? If you ever need a watch, I'm your man

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 21:06
    Why spend £100 on jeans when you can buy other ones for £10. If you can afford it, what's the problem?
    The £100 jeans may perform better than the £10 jeans due to materials and manufacturing, but there is a law of diminishing returns. I wouldn't spend £500,000 on a pair of jeans though
    I said there is a law of diminishing returns. At some point there is no benefit in spending more
    That doesn't really apply. If you buy a watch for a million quid now, it'll most likely be worth more than a million in ten years time. The jeans will never ever be worth more than when you initially buy them.
    Keep your Casio mate, it's as good as the million quid one in your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 21:19
    Thinly veiled, 'if I had a mil spare .. I would ' post?

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback2blue wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 19:13
    All costs are ultimately people costs. So 1m spent on a watch will end up being 1m going to the people who made the watch including all of those in the supply chain.
    Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 17:25
    That 1m will then be spent by those in the economy. It depends on whether you think those workers could be better spent doing something that is beneficial to the majority rather than the minority. Given the few number of workers and their speciality, I would guess that the be befit of their work to the general population would be minimal
    Quote Originally Posted by Feedback2blue wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 16:47
    so you do get what i was saying after all
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Although for some of the people on the programme, their rexcitment over some of these purchases made me genuinely question their sanity and their connection with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 21:24
    Although defeats the object when I use my phone to check the time all the time instead.

Can't you all tell the time by just looking at the sun and your compass?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 21:34
    Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 21:24
    A bloke on holiday once told me a "a watch is a Western handcuff". He had a point so I don't wear one.
    Is it an eye phone?

Sometimes I check my watch and forget to look at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 21:33
    One of the watches on the programme even had a different method of telling the time to your bog standard clock. it had the 12 hours on the left then the sixty minutes on the right
    I've travelled the world a bit, and some of the most happiest and empathic people I have ever met had absolutely nothing besides modest shelter and a solid community environment. It's quite a contrast to the soulless species you see roaming about our continent. We have strayed so far from the origins of mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 21:57
    One of the watches on the programme even had a different method of telling the time to your bog standard clock. it had the 12 hours on the left then the sixty minutes on the right
    Spot on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 20:45
    The harsh reality of the fact is that there is a debt and a deficit - you cant ignore it.
    Another area that should be looked at is the UK's military spend. Britain has a population a third of the size of Brazil yet we spend twice as much as they do on defence. Likewise, we have a similar size population to Turkey (a country situated in a very dangerous place strategically) but we spent 3 times as much on our military. The UK spends almost £40bn on its military every year. It's nuts but says everything about the priorities of those in power.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 22:09
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 20:45
    Well you can I suppose - but you know what happens after that - Greece. That is where we would have been if it wasnt for the UK Govt having a valid plan that the international money markets approved of.
    They still think they have an empire, somebody should tell them the bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Mears wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 21:36
    Ditto using your watch to find north

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 21:57
    Thinly veiled 'I've been to barry' post imho

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback2blue wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 22:18
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Mears wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 21:36
    Haven't got a ****ing clue what the time is now mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback2blue wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 22:19
    Thinly veiled 'I've been to barry' post imho
    Naturally, considering the undesirables you find in neighbouring Penarth

Alfie , I think the reason why UK military spend is so large is because we were the founding and current members of the Un security council so we are expected along with the other members to get involved when 'events' happen.

Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 12:51
    Just watched excellent documentary series, the super-rich and us - part one and part two.
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/19/global-wealt h-oxfam-inequality-davos-economic-summit-switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 23:59
    Alfie , I think the reason why UK military spend is so large is because we were the founding and current members of the Un security council so we are expected along with the other members to get involved when 'events' happen.
    And would that money have been better spent on providing a world class health service?

Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 12:51
    Just watched excellent documentary series, the super-rich and us - part one and part two.
    I fear the insurection that is coming.Some nutter with nothing to lose will light the touch paper.And just like in the past there will be a lot less rich people around when its over.It suits the very rich Cameron and his very rich cabinet'to have poor people scrabble around in desperation for low pay jobs.Its the Tory way.