+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a positive mood on the MB, in the Club and in the players

Creating a positive mood on the MB, in the Club and in the players

OK - bear with me on this post as it involves some facts and outcomes being presented about why it is important in the real world that we are more positive than negative as fans on this MB, if we want the team to be successful.

This post leads on from a question I was asked yesterday about whether I really believed that posts on a messageboard affected the players, to which I responded 'Yes'.

This post presents my evidence for this view, and also my plea to the posters on this messageboard to be more positive in their posts, rather than take their frustrations out with entirely negative posts.

By this I mean a post such as 'Gunnarsson is crap' is entirely negative whilst a post of 'Gunnarsson brings some important qualities to the team but he's struggling in the current formation and would be better off in a 5 man midfield' says that in a more positive manner as well as suggesting how his abilities might be accommodated.

So the evidence that a messageboard with more negative than positive language affects the aggregate population exposed to it comes from:

http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=2015010 9205518594

and in particular, for our Club, the following sentence seems most relevant:

"After Facebook, in collaboration with two academics, published a study showing how positive or negative language spreads among its users..."

The gist is that, if there are more negative 'vibes' than positive 'vibes' in the interactions between communities then the effect on the community as a whole is an overall negative 'vibe'.

In English, this means that if we predominantly post negative things on this MB then this overall negativity spreads to all the people on the board, which then spreads into our attitude to the team on the pitch.

We've seen this herd mentality at work over the rebrand issue, and if the fan 'leaders' and the more prolific posters on this board had supported the change to Red I'm sure we'd still be in Red now as the general mood on the Boards would have been Red is OK.

So, as a final request, if you are not already too far gone in terms of being determined to be miserable, please try and be more constructive in your criticism if you must criticise. More importantly though, if you are one of those who are more positive about the joys of following Cardiff then please post positive things more often and don't be put off by the misery guts on here.

We're back in Blue, I genuinely think it's up to us to now make the atmosphere so positive that it affects the players and allows them to play to their potentials.

There genuinely is no point in criticising all the time any more, it is simply counter-productive in all senses. We're Cardiff City, we've always relished a fight and now is the time to fight for our Club, not against it.

Re: Creating a positive mood on the MB, in the Club and in the players

Genuinely, good luck with this...

Quote Originally Posted by saganspirit wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 13:10
    You know how poisonous this place has been when decent Posters like Pearcey quit because of the negativity on the Board (though I'll continue to blame UTSL because it's good fun )

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 13:16
    I've no chance but at least I tried.
    I hope he re-appears somewhere soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 14:48
    You know how poisonous this place has been when decent Posters like Pearcey quit because of the negativity on the Board (though I'll continue to blame UTSL because it's good fun )
    Both his acquisitions so far give me more hope than I expected at this stage, and I hope Slade is able to find his 3 extra players, and get the backing to acquire them. I have no expectations for this season now, but it would be good to have some decent players onboard now - with a chance to use the rest of the season to gel with each other. That way the Summer and the start of next season could be very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 15:48
    I have to say I agree with you.
    I think you are being unfair in saying there was a herd mentality with the rebrand because I suspect there were plenty with a similar experiences to me in that their opinion hardened as time went on - I can honestly say that what others said on here had little effect on me and as for the so called "fans leaders", they had even less.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 15:52
    You could have used something more 'photogenic' in your meme... I'm disappointed in you, but know you have the potential to be better than this

As for Malone, yes he had a knock on about the 30 min mark, he also had little or no support of Whitts and had to deal with probably the best winger in the division in Redmond.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 16:06
    It's difficult to see how this will change as society has evolved to a position where everyone expects everything at once and always looks for someone to blame when they don't get it.
    Just to be clear, I'm not trying to censor or tell anyone what to think or post - just to point out that their posts add to the general mood on the board and DO have an impact in real life it now appears.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 16:13
    It's difficult to see how this will change as society has evolved to a position where everyone expects everything at once and always looks for someone to blame when they don't get it.
    If Revell is more of a creative head than a goalscoring one, who is he meant to be creating for? Is Slade going to allow us to close the window still only being able to score in the hour Kenwynne is on it for or from our CB's at set plays?

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 16:22
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 16:13
    A big chunk of this board and a good section of our fans have this.
    As for Whitts, I automatically assumed he was supposed to be on the left, although it's hard to tell sometimes !

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 16:07
    You could have used something more 'photogenic' in your meme... I'm disappointed in you, but know you have the potential to be better than this
    I'd have liked to use somethime a bit more "easy on the eye", but the missus is roaming around behind me and I don't want to draw her attention... hence you got Oddball from Kelly's Hereos.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 16:30
    I'd have liked to use somethime a bit more "easy on the eye", but the missus is roaming around behind me and I don't want to draw her attention... hence you got Oddball from Kelly's Hereos.
    I knew there was something not quite right

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 13:08
    OK - bear with me on this post as it involves some facts and outcomes being presented about why it is important in the real world that we are more positive than negative as fans on this MB, if we want the team to be successful.
    Please extend that to watching live matches - booing ia never helpful.

There is some bona fide research that has confirmed that if everyone in the stadium held hands, the win percentage would increase by around 30 percentage points.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Mears wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 17:03
    There is some bona fide research that has confirmed that if everyone in the stadium held hands, the win percentage would increase by around 30 percentage points.
    UPDATE: There isn't really is there... You're just messing with me you little tinker...

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 17:04
    Great - I look forward to reading it. Can you provide the link?
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0264041040002156 7#.VLvpUC6sX3o

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 15:52
    Well I got the reference. One of my favourite movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Mears wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 17:13
    UPDATE: There isn't really is there... You're just messing with me you little tinker...
    Even so, I guess it also supports the positive atmosphere, positive results claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 17:45
    It's referenced in this journal article (part of the literature review).
    There were issues of causality in the study referenced (i.e. were people holding hands BECAUSE the team was doing well, or vice versa). It was clear in the conclusion of a study of over 340 games of football and basketball that those teams whose fans held hands with each other were considerably more likely to win. It does very much support your hypothesis too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Mears wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 17:49
    Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 17:45
    It's referenced in this journal article (part of the literature review).
    The acid test will come when I next see Macheda get onto the pitch...

I'm more comfortable with Cardiff being average or poor in blue than anything in red. I care more about us now than that fake outfit masquerading as City in the Prem.

It's also great to be just talking football on here instead of the rebrand sideshows that divided us and dominated the threads.

As for football, ain't great is it? However we've been a mid table side from the start of this season and nothing has changed. It's too big a job to rebuild in the Jan window. Let's see what summer brings. We were crap spending money and the Championship this season highlights you just need to be shrewd, organised, have a plan and be motivated and committed to do well. Sadly, qualities Cardiff have largely lacked this season.

Good, bad or indifferent, it's my team and club again, not before time either.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelBlues wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 20:29
    I'm more comfortable with Cardiff being average or poor in blue than anything in red. I care more about us now than that fake outfit masquerading as City in the Prem.
    Looking forward to the removal of expectations for the second half of the season and just seeing what happens in each game. I hope Slade can find the players he's looking for and we get to see what he can do with his players around him.

For most of my city supporting life, I would dream of being in the league position we are now in.

End of the day though, this is a message board where we express opinions, with varying degrees of knowledge and intelligence.

It's what we do "in real life" about many subjects.

I think there is also some residual negative energy from the red era.

I also believe that we are wired in a lightly negative way, on a Saturday afternoon, you don't see many "Did you see so and so's great pass?" but people can't wait to log on and vent about a missed tackle/open goal.