+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: are we back to the alan Durban days

are we back to the alan Durban days

I reckon we ain't far away

Re: are we back to the alan Durban days

No, not by a long shot.

Durban's era make our present lot look like Barcalona.

Don't go there mate. They were incredibly bad days on the field. Sunderland must have been rubbing their hands taking Ashurst and seeing us take on Durban. I have nightmares over those back to back relegations.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 19:01
    I reckon we ain't far away
    Slade is not worthy to walk in Alan,s shadow.

Durban had an excuse in the fact that the club could'nt afford a pot to piss in and had to make do with has-beens, never-will-be's and rejects. Slade has had the luxury of a big, well paid squad that on paper is one of the strongest in the league (allegedly) yet are completely useless. Not a lot between them but adding things up i think Durban was a better manager.

Durban actually had top flight pedigree as a manager with Stoke and Sunderland. As has been mentioned in the thread, the club didn't have a pot to piss in. Looking back, a lot of the players we used wouldn't hack it in the bottom tier and we were the equivalent of the Championship when Durban took over. Withey, Meacock, Smelt, Will Foley, Goldsmith, Carver (Now the Newcastle caretaker.) and McCloughan are examples of the dross we had playing for us. Durban had no chance with this calibre of player.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 20:14
    Don't go there mate. They were incredibly bad days on the field. Sunderland must have been rubbing their hands taking Ashurst and seeing us take on Durban. I have nightmares over those back to back relegations.
    When we beat Notts County 4-1 away on the opening day of the 85/86 season, after our relegation from Division 2, I thought we'd piss Division 3 with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 20:14
    When Peter Reid took over at Sunderland he made Durban his chief scout

No - not within a million miles of them

We have Scotlands number 1 goalkeeper now - then we had Lee Smelt Halifax's reserve give away goal keeper

Carlton Leonard..Jake King

Up front the mighty Robbie 'elbows' Turner and Graham 'Barn Door' Withey

We were awful back then

Slade wants to play channel football, high tempo pressing football

If you ask me its a damn sight more interesting than keep possession for the sake of it passing backwards and forwards crappy boring football

Unfortunately this team is nowhere near suitable for that style of football

If he got it right it would lead to a hell of a lot more interesting games than we've had to put up with.

Unfortunately I don't think he's going to get anywhere near it especially without the right back up team to sort out the fitness and system. He also desperately needs an absolutely nasty b@stard in the midfield to get it going.

At the moment its like having a poodle yapping at you

When our crowds are 10% of what they are now, maybe.

Nowhere near it now, though.

Those were THE worst days at CCFC, NQAT.

Quote Originally Posted by binman wrote on Mon, 19 January 2015 09:55
    No - not within a million miles of them
    Lee Smelt works in the academy at Arsenal.