+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gary Bell's last match for City

Gary Bell's last match for City

Was it before the loan to Hereford in 1974 or did he return and play again for City?

PS: And yes, I don't know the answer.

Re: Gary Bell's last match for City

Looks like he went straight to Newport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Bell_(footballer)

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Føggøn wrote on Mon, 19 January 2015 12:31
    Was it before the loan to Hereford in 1974 or did he return and play again for City?
    My favorite full back of all time, and what a gent he is now, always got time for a chat, started as youth player alongside Trevor Francis he was telling me, baggies fan.

Gary Bell's last game for us was a 3-2 defeat at Bristol City 2 Feb 1974. The following game (away at Blackpool) Freddie Pethard played in the number 3 shirt and kept it for the rest of the season. The game at Blackpool was Jack Whitham's debut.

There were quite a few changes that season which saw debuts for George Smith, Jimmy McInch, Peter Grotier, John Farrington, Willie Carlin, Ron Healey and Clive Charles as well. We also said farewell to Peter King, a City Legend and one of my all time favourite City players

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort wrote on Mon, 19 January 2015 14:16
    Gary Bell's last game for us was a 3-2 defeat at Bristol City 2 Feb 1974. The following game (away at Blackpool) Freddie Pethard played in the number 3 shirt and kept it for the rest of the season. The game at Blackpool was Jack Whitham's debut.
    Yes the Bristol City game was his last for Cardiff, he went on load to Hereford and the went on a free to Newport. I think he then played for Bridgend Town and Barry for a while.

I always thought he was going to make it for us

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy wrote on Mon, 19 January 2015 15:34
    There were quite a few changes that season which saw debuts for George Smith, Jimmy McInch, Peter Grotier, John Farrington, Willie Carlin, Ron Healey and Clive Charles as well. We also said farewell to Peter King, a City Legend and one of my all time favourite City players
    He has , he still works for the city in the Premier club legend he is

That must have been the season when we needed a point in the last game against Palace. Tony Villars equalised at the grange end and we stayed up by the skin of our teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue wrote on Mon, 19 January 2015 18:10
    It was indeed, I remember it well. It was quite a relief when the final whistle went. The attendance was 26781 the previous highest attendance that season was 14799 when John Farrington got his hat trick against Sunderland. It took a crisis to bring the fans out.

Gary is a gent. A really nice chap and still one of my favourite ever city left backs, if not, the favourite.

I was still going down the City during this time but my enthusiasm was starting to wane, post Toshack sale etc.,

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Føggøn wrote on Mon, 19 January 2015 19:02