+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who was your favourite City goalie

Re: Who was your favourite City goalie

Peter Zois

FUNNY AS FU

Bob Wilson for me, that's favourite not best.

B 2 B.

Dilwyn John and Fred Davies

Tom Farquharson, the keeper when we won the cup in 1928 or whenever it was. He used to charge at the taker and was responsible for the law change where keepers had to stay on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy wrote on Mon, 19 January 2015 16:09
    Tom Farquharson, the keeper when we won the cup in 1928 or whenever it was. He used to charge at the taker and was responsible for the law change where keepers had to stay on the line.
    Class.

Somebody mentioned the other Bob Wilson, he who got us into the European Cup Winners Cup semi final virtually on his own, and then mis judged Uwe Seelers bobbling shot in the semi against Hamburg. We were in the second tier of the league then, but wages what they were, he used to do house painting in the close season for a few extra quid, nice guy he was.

During that era, I'm sure we had a young keeper called Lyn Davies, a Welsh under 21 international and I think he had to step into the first team against Wolves, and we lost 7-1, the following week he played for Wales U21 against Scotland and shipped 8 goals. I think he then played when we also lost 7-1 to Plymouth, and the poor sod jacked it in. Maybe my memory is not too good, so can anyone tell me if I'm right? Or nearly right? I'd be interested to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Hunt wrote on Mon, 19 January 2015 16:16
    Somebody mentioned the other Bob Wilson, he who got us into the European Cup Winners Cup semi final virtually on his own, and then mis judged Uwe Seelers bobbling shot in the semi against Hamburg. We were in the second tier of the league then, but wages what they were, he used to do house painting in the close season for a few extra quid, nice guy he was.
    B 2 B.

First Team

Ron Healey for me.
    So chuffed when he got his cap at Wembley only for it to go horribly wrong when he got chipped by Keegan

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue wrote on Mon, 19 January 2015 16:36
    Ron Healey for me.
    I remember that. That was in the days of no internet and no social media and I think the highlights were on Sportsnight and I watched it with no idea of the score or details of the game and cheered when Ron got a game. Only to be done by Keegan.

Jason Brown.

But in all seriousness, Jon Hallworth.

Pat Jennings anyone?

Gavin Ward, Mark Grew and Neil Alexander

Bob Wilson or David Marshall

Phil Joslin in the 50s

Quote Originally Posted by Peru Bluebird wrote on Mon, 19 January 2015 16:45
    Gavin Ward, Mark Grew and Neil Alexander
    Mark Grew will forever be seared in my memories for that Man City game.

Healey for me.

Following his cap for Eire against England at Wembley where Keegan scored a sublime goal by chipping the ball over Healey, I remember being at our next league game away at Shrewsbury. During the warmup I don't recall who, but it may have been Ronnie Moore, repeating what Keegan had done during the pre match warmup and Healey turning around as the ball landed in the net in front of the city faithful crammed into Gay Meadow behind the goal. Healey and fans alike pissing themselves.

Frank Parsons..........not

Not many nominations from the Dave Loans era.

Best goalkeeper to ever wear a Cardiff City shirt was Neville Southall.

B 2 B.

Eadie
    Alexander
    Marsh
    All top keepers for City.

Schmeichal the friendly ghost NEVER let us down either

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris wrote on Mon, 19 January 2015 15:48
    No one has mentioned Bill Irwin. Although Healey was probably my favourite from that time.
    I saw more of Bill down the Arms park dogs than down Ninian park

Jim Eadie.
    Bill Irwin.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh wrote on Mon, 19 January 2015 19:02
    Jim Eadie.
    I think at one stage Jim Eadie,Bill Irwin and Ron Healey we at the club at the same time ,we were spoilt.

I met Ron Healey after a Saturday morning k/o once v Cambridge. We won 5-4. He pulled off a wonder save yet told me he simply been "following the ball."

It's Ron for me. That dayglo jumper brightened up some very dark days indeed.

Healey, followed by Dibble and Alexander.
    Spedger

George Wood. In a time when we were utter pants, he actually seemed like he knew what he was doing. A legend and someone who gave me some hope as a City fan.