+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Dave Jones the right man?

Is Dave Jones the right man?

To be fair, the best football I've seen us play over the last 10 years has been under Dave Jones. Although we missed out on play-off's on so many occasions I still feel there is a job that could be done by Davey himself.

Under DJ we had 20+ goalscorers up front and solid defenders, we also had tricky wingers and brilliant passers of the ball in the centre.

Since then we've been hitting longballs to target men.

Re: Is Dave Jones the right man?

I agree, the season the pressure was on Norwich we played some great stuff up until the last few weeks.

The problem is that the OP suggests that the manager dictates the entire success of the club and the football team.

What i think we have seen since the removal of MM is the removal of the entire backroom team, which has not been replaced in any decent way.

When Jones was here initially he had Burton here as a first team coach (who was and still is a very well respected coach) and Paul Wilkinson working on the team as well.

There was a transfer system in place that worked between Jones, Ridsdale, Wilkinson and Burton, who no matter how we criticised some signings seemed to do better than we have done since.

I personally think no individual manager can come in and do well at the moment, because there is no structure in place to support them.

Are you sure we haven't got DJ now? Before December Slade's results weren't too bad and we all know that DJ's sides went missing over Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 11:28
    Are you sure we haven't got DJ now? Before December Slade's results weren't too bad and we all know that DJ's sides went missing over Christmas.
    You're thinking of November

Quote Originally Posted by What_Kieran_Said wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 11:19
    To be fair, the best football I've seen us play over the last 10 years has been under Dave Jones. Although we missed out on play-off's on so many occasions I still feel there is a job that could be done by Davey himself.
    Jones had his faults, but he still ranks higher than Mackay for me. His last season was a gamble - he knew he'd be out if they didn't go up, and all of his signings were for the short term gamble. Before that, he had a good eye for the long-term. Mackay appeared to have that too - until the purse was opened.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 11:27
    I personally think no individual manager can come in and do well at the moment, because there is no structure in place to support them.
    Also all the money's gone, nowhere to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Loya Jirga wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 11:34
    True.
    I would imagine that the initial budget is one of the highest in the league, but we have the wages curse that all relegated clubs have to suffer.

I would love to see Slade turn performances around but I'm not seeing any evidence he can. Many players cant make the step up to a different level and the same goes for managers, no disgrace in that.
    If he does go we could do far worse than getting Jones back in till the end of the season and seeing where we are then.

Some of my best memories of City came from the DJ days, best football I've ever seen us play for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 11:36
    True.
    It's gone very quickly from having £10m to spend to having to slash the wage bill. Surely that should have been considered during the summer too?

Quote Originally Posted by Loya Jirga wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 11:44
    True.
    I still think there is a budget there, and a good budget for this level.
    That £40 million may represent a huge wage kitty in Championship terms, however keeping to it in our situation is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 11:50
    True.
    However that budget is currently over-full with players that have already left or not in the first team picture.
    I think the penny is dropping and that the spending/losses need to be reigned in. I think the "return to blue" points in that direction because, suddenly, losing 25% of the customers is no longer an option if the club is to, at the very least, maintain its position in the top 2 divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by What_Kieran_Said wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 11:19
    Another thread ruined by Jones

Dave Jones would be the right man ,if Slade was to leave,he has done it before,knows the club and what it stands for, achieved much success and put us on an upward platform,he can do it again.
    Since Bill Jones took the Bluebirds up to the old First Division in 1959/60 remember that memorable Easter monday 1960 against Aston Villa ,in my opinion the two best managers,most constructive and successful have been Jimmy Scoular and Dave Jones,they both took us ,for periods, to the summit of the second tier.
    Apart from Malky,who is a hard luck story ,and whose tenure was cut short of its full potential,no one else, In my opinion comes near Scoular and Dave Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Loya Jirga wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 11:54
    Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 11:50
    True.
    However that budget is currently over-full with players that have already left or not in the first team picture.
    I would imagine that the initial budget is one of the highest in the league, but we have the wages curse that all relegated clubs have to suffer.
    However without the st money it would obviously be more difficult.

Dave Jones ...... seriously ?

People seem to have short memories...... yes, he could pick a player, and made some astute signings but his motivational skills were next to zero.
    Cast your mind back to him standing on the touchline, hands in pocket, that glum expression on his face.... as the team struggled, and he just continued standing there !
    Many examples, but I'm sure many posters were at the Norwich vs City games when Parkin scored early on. Then Norwich overwhelmed us for the rest of the game, with the equalizer just a matter of time ...... and so what did DJ do ? ...... f**k all !

It was great if we took the lead, but how often did we win from a losing position ? (I'm sure someone can do the analysis .... Games played with DJ as manager Vs Games won from a losing position)

... and how many academy/youth players did he bring through ? he wasn't even too keen on playing Ramsey.

Dave Jones ? .......... I think I'd prefer Davy Jones of the Monkees...... and he's dead !

I love the breadth of football knowledge on here.

Hundreds of managers to choose from and Dave Jones is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 12:15
    Who is the answer?

I would take Jones as a caretaker until end of season instead of a potential case of Young and Gabbidon taking over the reins.

Quote Originally Posted by What_Kieran_Said wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 12:18
    E.g. options we had before Slade - Pulis, Lennon, Sherwood, Clarke etc etc etc.

Dave Jones how many clubs are chasing this tactical genius since his sacking by Sheff Wed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 12:28
    Who is the answer?
    Isn't sherwood a 4-4-2 kinda guy as well

Quote Originally Posted by ninian200 wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 12:28
    Dave Jones how many clubs are chasing this tactical genius since his sacking by Sheff Wed ?
    There are a lot of football managers out of the game at the moment who are not being chased. Doesn't mean anything when you look at this list of managers out of work. Curbishley, Dalglish, Billy Davies. To name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by redjk wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 12:30
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenith wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 12:28
    Who is the answer?
    Somebody who isn't a dinosaur and doesn't just play 4-4-2, with plan B being 4-1-2-1-2.
    But Sherwood actually had his team scoring goals and not conceding 5 every game. Also, he knew how to shake it about to suit his team when they were being overrun.