+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City vStoke City 24 November 1962.any of you there.

Cardiff City vStoke City 24 November 1962.any of you there.

Last week when reorganising the book shelves amongst the football books was The Stanley Matthews Story.

It brought back memories of the then second division game between the Bluebirds and Stoke City on the 24 November 1962 at Ninian Park, and the only time I saw Stanley Matthews playing ,were any of you in the 21000 crowd that foggy November Saturday afternoon.
    The game was a 1-1 draw ,City taking the lead with an Alan McIntosh goal, Stoke equalising within a short time.
    It was inspirational not only watching the legend Matthews playing at 50 years old but also the host of the other stars Stoke had assembled as they were reborn with the influence of the return of Matthews to the Potteries,players such as Tony Allen ,Eddie Clamp,Eddie Stuart,Dennis Violett and Jackie Mudie who nearly joined the Bluebirds shortly after Derek Hogg signed for the City.
    The blue birds left back that day with the task of marking Matthews was Trevor Edwards who did a reasonable job.

Re: Cardiff City vStoke City 24 November 1962.any of you there.

yes I was there.10 years of age
    I remember thinking what was the fuss about.
    Stan looked old,however he did lead them to promotion.

I also went with my father to watch trevor Ford play for
    Newport County at Shrewsbury around the same time.

In the spirit of this thread, "legendary" players I have seen play against City include....

Bobby Moore (Fulham), George Best (Fulham), Peter Osgood (Southampton reserves), Alan Ball (Southampton), Kevin Keegan (Newcastle), Pat Jennings (arsenal.....I think) and even John Charles (Hereford). I should also include Joey Jones and Leighton James! Poles apart as guys but great players on their day.

In modern times the best opponent I have seen is Ya Ya Touure. Gerrard worth a shout too.

Yes I was there, not sure if it was the only time he played at Ninian Park, always believed he avoided Sherwood, Trevor Edwards signed from Charlton, even played up front for us when we were struggling to score, which was very often.