+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Can a manager lose the dressing room?

Can a manager lose the dressing room?

Not according to this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30900505

"When a side is performing badly, it is rarely down to just the manager, and that's something people would do well to remember when they are wondering who to blame."

Apologies if already posted.

Re: Can a manager lose the dressing room?

Slade has lost the dressing room because he is thinning out the
    players for Tan and those who are left are thinking " me next ? "

Thus the players left get less and less prepared to give their all for
    Slade and Cardiff City.

QED.

Of course they can, as can any boss, team leader etc. They can keep it patched up to some degree but if they've lost the general respect of the players then they've lost the dressing room.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 22:13
    NQAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 22:14
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 22:13
    players for Tan and those who are left are thinking " me next ? "
    Sleep well.

Normally it's adjacent to the away dressing room, so I suggest he isn't looking hard enough..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 22:26
    Normally it's adjacent to the away dressing room, so I suggest he isn't looking hard enough..
    Perhaps that's it. He has literally lost the dressing room and hasn't been able to find the players and that's why we're so shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 22:09
    Not according to this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30900505
    I think if he took time to remember the location within the structure of the stadium he should remember where the room is. I'm sure if he asked a member of staff they would direct him to it on his first couple of days , so to answer your question one shouldn't really lose a dressing room , they are quite big and smelly after match days .

It's a CHANGING ROOM

That's why managers like Ferguson and Mourinho are so highly prized, they get loyalty and performances out of their players, even the average ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 23:08
    It's a CHANGING ROOM
    OKAY DON'T SHOUT(gosh what a dressing down)

There's different ways of "losing the dressing room" though. What Bloomfield is talking about there is a virtual mutiny among the players against a manager. I'd agree that the huge majority of professional footballers go through their careers without seeing such a thing happening - although Kevin Cullis at Swansea and, reportedly, Scolari at Chelsea are examples which show that it can occur.

Putting this in a City context, Russell Slade, uniquely I would have thought, had some City fans (including a few posters on here) calling for him to go even before he was appointed! I think I'm right in saying that this was because they didn't want an experienced manager who had never worked at a higher level than League One at their club - they didn't think he was good enough for Cardiff and did not respect him.

It seems reasonable to me that if a proportion of the club's support felt like that, then there would be at least one or two players who were of the same opinion.

Being someone who is always prepared to give somebody a chance, I defended Russell Slade against those who were dead set against him from day one, but, having given him that chance, it's hard now not to come to the conclusion that they were right. I cling to the hope that the next ten days will see players arrive who will enable Slade to feel he can play in a different way, but I'm not confident at all that it will happen.

I cannot stand the prehistoric football we are playing, but, more important than my feelings is that, for coming up to two months now, it has been almost totally successful - increasingly Slade is looking to me like someone who has his way of playing which he imposes on all of his teams, whether it suits them or not, and stubbornly sticks to it no matter what.

It might not be for the same reason as me, but I'm sure there are plenty of City fans who were also prepared to give the man a chance, who are now thinking that he's not what we need, so, again, if fans are thinking like that why won't some players?

Finally, there are those who think three months is nowhere near long enough to judge a manager and also those who are almost blindly loyal to the club, so would never be too critical of anyone employed by it.

On the playing front, I saw a piece on the Wales Online website yesterday which contained the following regarding Ben Turner;-

"Turner was not alone in being clearly upset and frustrated at the second defeat in a few days"

However, all that shows is that Turner, and a few others, were very upset at losing on Tuesday (no surprise there to anyone who has watched him play for us in the last three years or so) - it doesn't mean that the whole squad felt the same way.

That's the thing, no manager is going to have every single player 100% behind him for every minute he is employed by a club - it's impossible for that to happen.

So, I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that in the Cardiff dressing room at the moment, there are those who just don't rate Slade full stop, those who are beginning to have doubts about him and those who are still on his side.

Even if those in the first two camps are still genuinely of a mind to give of their best every game, there has to be the strong possibility that, subconsciously, they feel differently because, deep down, they do not have respect for the man in charge. If this starts to have an impact on performance and it happens with three or four in a team then you begin to have problems - in a way, that manager has "lost the dressing room".

One last thing, I agree entirely with Bloomfield when he says that players have to take their share of the responsibility when things are going wrong. There are a few on here who seem to have a blind spot when it comes to our players as they always put anything that goes wrong on the pitch almost entirely down to the manager (I don't mean just Russell Slade here either - these people are serial whingers when it comes to our managers).

We're not very good. A Third division midfield, a Third division forward line.

We hardly ever create goalscoring chances. I challenge any side in this Division with Gunnarson and Whittingham in centre midfield to be creative, to play fast, attacking football.

We are just a desperately poor side, with some players who could play in other sides, but collectively a disaster for the City.