+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 question to keep in mind- what was slade appointed to do?

1 question to keep in mind- what was slade appointed to do?

Let's be honest when his name first came up nobody but nobody said they thought it would be him- so why him and what was he appointed to do?

We thought at the time and based on the evidence it is quite clear what his remit is, the 3 main things seem to be-

1- massively reduce the squad (had to be done)

2- massively cut the wage bill (again had to be done)

3- sign players he knows he can trust, are reliable and cheap.

Now I know he has only moved us slightly up the table and I totally understand the frustration, however I really don't see what option we have but to continue and just hope a squad full of the likes of revell will be enough.

It's fair enough to call for change again but we must remember those 3 things above will have to continue whoever is in charge and due to the mistakes of the previous managers the above will take a good while to sort out.

Re: 1 question to keep in mind- what was slade appointed to do?

Sign character and fighters.

Which he is doing.

Make us hard to beat ?

Not consistent enough and too many mistakes at the back. In fairness we've had a run of difficult fixtures and key players who would make us more solid... Marshall,Manga and Pilkington are missing.

Biggest disappointment for me is leaving Fabio out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 22:41
    Fabio is a liability as a defender and Slade likes his boys tall.

Quote Originally Posted by ragbone wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 23:34
    Which he is doing.
    Cant play hoofball with small players

11 fighters with character with little ability, equals relegation

I think he has been appointed out of malice courtesy of Emperor Tan. You've got your blue now, but you've also got your comeuppance. It is my prediction that we will never see Tan at the CCS ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 22:37
    Let's be honest when his name first came up nobody but nobody said they thought it would be him- so why him and what was he appointed to do?
    He is used to managing just above conference standards and it is badly showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 00:21
    Which he is doing.
    So does 11 big time Charlie's with no fight or character. A team needs balance. We were missing that and it's being addressed. Costs are being cut as we can no longer rely on Tans money

I'm guessing Slade was appointed to get the team promoted.

I think you make some reasonable points, but as TLG says, I'm pretty sure promotion wasn't completely ruled out back in October when Slade was appointed.

Sometimes this club appears totally barmy to me - just before the transfer window closes, we pay a reported £5 million for a centreback and, within a month, we are appointing a manager whose brief is, basically, to cut costs and reduce the wage bill whilst maintaining a promotion challenge!

You only have to look at a club like Ipswich to find an example of a team that proves that the methods we are, seemingly, currently employing can work.

Ipswich have spent virtually nothing in the transfer market in recent years and yet have a good chance of being promoted this season and are certainly a better team than us. However, what they have is a manager who knows this division like the back of his hand because he has spent an awful lot of his managerial career in it.

It is entirely possible - maybe even likely - that Slade is here - initially - due to whatever the ranting, flapping, 'priorities' and 'direction' was foremost in the mind of our esteemed leader around the time of Slades surprise appointment.

I do think it was a last ditch attempt to try hit upon 'success' - by doing the polar opposite of whatever the last 'plan' was.
    And it has not worked quickly.
    It is quite possible that success has to be very immediate and very obvious to satisfy Mr Tan's idea of 'success'.

I suspect that RS's brief now (or maybe even plan B. assuming there was a Plan A) is to tread water and to throw any excess baggage / passengers overboard - especially costly ones.
    While a buyer is sought at the least worst price.

As Gluts said above, I doubt we will see much of Vincent Tan Sri at the CCS again, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 07:42
    I think you make some reasonable points, but as TLG says, I'm pretty sure promotion wasn't completely ruled out back in October when Slade was appointed.
    Owners interfering with things they know nothing about is always a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 08:06
    Perhaps we can do both.....

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 06:55
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal wrote on Wed, 21 January 2015 22:37
    We thought at the time and based on the evidence it is quite clear what his remit is, the 3 main things seem to be-
    It just shows how crazy Cardiff city is- we spent a hell of a lot of money by championship standards on players in the summer (£9 million for 2 centre halves we didn't even need) yet a few weeks later are doing completely the opposite- never a middle ground at city!

This one is simple as well-You know that the club is starting to sign players on the cheap? hard working, limited and not particularly technical?

Well, Tan has replicated that theory with his management duo, it's that simple. You wouldn't want a Michelin star chef working in a chip shop, would you?

This is all part of the plan, Tan would've known that he was going to down-size, no point bringing in a manager who couldn't work with such players.

Next!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 08:44
    This one is simple as well-You know that the club is starting to sign players on the cheap? hard working, limited and not particularly technical?
    I kind of agree. I'm just saying even if slade was sacked tomorrow the above would still be the case.

Well if he was appointed to get the club relegated he's making a ****ing good job of it.

How do you know that the players he has signed have either 'character' or are 'fighters' You must watch a shed load of football.

Do you think Tan knew he was going to downsize before he appointed Slade? If so, why did he bring in Ravel Morrison on loan to add to his already massive squad in the time between OGS being sacked and Slade being appointed?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 06:57
    Quote Originally Posted by Pug wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 00:21
    Which he is doing.
    Make us hard to beat ?
    We are not adding balance we are adding players of division 1 and championship strugglers quality. Slade is adding players he was comfortable in the lower divisions. None of them are going to help move the football forward, in fact its going backwards at a rate of knots. Although I think we will survive relegation this season, if Slade persists with his utterly incomprehensible team selection and signing policys into next season (if he makes it that far) we will be relegated next season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 08:58
    Well, Tan has replicated that theory with his management duo, it's that simple. You wouldn't want a Michelin star chef working in a chip shop, would you?
    Makes absolute no sense - and neither do the signings Slade is chasing now, it's not like he's building for the future with the likes of Revell and possibly Peltier. These are players who will also be leaving the club in 12 to 18 months time

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 09:56
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 08:58
    This is all part of the plan, Tan would've known that he was going to down-size, no point bringing in a manager who couldn't work with such players.
    Not if we get relegated they won't be. But yes Revell is coming to the end of career, Peltier is determine to feck his up no matter what club he's at.

We may be over-complicating this in trying to find some rationale behind the appointment. I though that someone suggested Slade to Tan as an experienced manager who could get everything 'ship shape' - after the mess he allowed novice Ole to create. Slade did get Orient playing some decent football - so maybe in time he can do the same here. It's not looking like this will happen any time soon though.

Orient played some great football - albeit youtube based evidence. Can Slade do that here - well there is certainly no sign of it.

Have all the players no respect for him - if you were a premier league player - Kenwyn Jones for example and you had played under some very experienced players - then all of a sudden you get a League 1 manager in - who has not even managed at championship level let alone premier level - and he then starts to give you tactics - that you believe are backward to say the least - is it any wonder that the players think perhaps they are playing for an idiot - who is actually make them look worse!!!

Slade needs a side of young kids who believe what he says - and a few old pros for the kids to look up to and start playing for each other - he wont get that with this squad