+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How much time does a manager need?

How much time does a manager need?

How long does a manager need at a new club before he can be judged?

I have seen several suggestions ranging from a few months to two transfer windows to a year or two.

How long do you feel a manager should be given firstly to show some meaningful progression and more to the point a stage where they can say this is my team and can be judged?

Re: How much time does a manager need?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 12:38
    January is a tough window to change things around in because clubs don't want to release their best players, not knowing what they will be able to bring in.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 12:48
    I have seen several suggestions ranging from a few months to two transfer windows to a year or two.
    Once he has assembled his new team how long would you give him in to the new season though?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 12:51
    Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 12:48
    How long do you feel a manager should be given firstly to show some meaningful progression and more to the point a stage where they can say this is my team and can be judged?
    Whilst i'm not that keen on what is being achieved at the moment, i don't believe that any manager could succeed in this current environment.

I have had 3 "grown up" jobs in my life. For each of them, I was given a 6 month probationary period at the start. One of them even had specific performance measures for the first 3 years and if I missed any of them, I was out.

Obviously it is rare for people to be let go during a probationary period, but football management seems like exactly the type of job where a probationary period makes sense. Moyes had some sort of get-out-of-jail-free clause built in to his contract because he was booted as soon as CL qualification was mathematically impossible. It would have made sense for Slade to have something similar in his: e.g. failure to finish in the playoffs = club has the right to terminate his contract.

If he did have a 6 month probationary period built in to his contract, I honestly believe he should start to worry. I accept that the situation he is in is dreadful, and expectations are too high, but I've seen no evidence that he has a plan to turn us in to a football team any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 13:31
    I have had 3 "grown up" jobs in my life. For each of them, I was given a 6 month probationary period at the start. One of them even had specific performance measures for the first 3 years and if I missed any of them, I was out.
    Slade is under pressure at the moment most definitely. However fans and the owners at the club are under the manager defines everything mentality, whereas a club like Swansea show that with the right structures in place individual manager can come and go, and success can be maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 13:35
    Obviously it is rare for people to be let go during a probationary period, but football management seems like exactly the type of job where a probationary period makes sense. Moyes had some sort of get-out-of-jail-free clause built in to his contract because he was booted as soon as CL qualification was mathematically impossible. It would have made sense for Slade to have something similar in his: e.g. failure to finish in the playoffs = club has the right to terminate his contract.
    However at no point did anyone ever think that Russell Slade was one of the "better managers". He was a gamble (assuming we are trying to progress up the league) and he would have recognised that. He can accept the job with the early termination clause, or he can carry on at Orient and try to avoid being sacked by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 13:41
    If he did have a 6 month probationary period built in to his contract, I honestly believe he should start to worry. I accept that the situation he is in is dreadful, and expectations are too high, but I've seen no evidence that he has a plan to turn us in to a football team any time soon.
    i doubt that probationary periods would be good for manager or clubs and would encourage short term thinking.

How long was Slade at Orient for before he got them some how to the play off final ?

How long was Slade at Orient for before he got them some how to the play off final ?

Re: How long was Slade at Orient for before he got them some how to the play off final ?

Alex Ferguson is an interesting case-study.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 13:44
    Why would the better managers agree to the probationary period, in the case of Moyes, Manchester United paid a transfer fee for him and there was healthy severance terms for him in regards to sacking.
    I still think he'd have taken the job even with a release clause if he didn't meet a short-term goal. Pulis wouldn't have, but Slade has it all to prove and someone like Pulis does not. And it is not like it would be used all of the time. Making the playoffs was probably a bit of a stretch anyway. The point is that it is sometimes the case that managers are appointed in to roles that they simply are not suitable for, and it would just give clubs a way to nip it in the bud without it costing the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 14:06
    Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 13:44
    Why would the better managers agree to the probationary period, in the case of Moyes, Manchester United paid a transfer fee for him and there was healthy severance terms for him in regards to sacking.
    Slade is under pressure at the moment most definitely. However fans and the owners at the club are under the manager defines everything mentality, whereas a club like Swansea show that with the right structures in place individual manager can come and go, and success can be maintained.
    My major point is that by undertaken relativity short management period the club become unattractive to the better manager (because the feeling there is they will not get time). encourage short term thinking, and become relatively high on playing costs due to the different aims of different managers. With all that factored in it becomes a bad decision for clubs.