+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Oh font of knowledge

Oh font of knowledge

If I have a can of Tennant's Super straight, in a glass it comes in at what it says on the can right, 9% vol and 4.5 units of alcohol.
    However, what if I were to put half lemonade to half Tennants super to equal measures?
    Would this not be a weaker drink as I am diluting it?
    and less units as well?

Re: Oh font of knowledge

If you diluted a full can with lemonade you'd still of drunk 4.5 units

I've always wondered on a buy one get free deal if I order 2 do I pay for 1 item or do I get 4 items in total

So, if i drank four pints of larger shandy, and drove would i be over the limit. As it would in reality just be two normal pints of larger.

Im confused

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks wrote on Sat, 24 January 2015 22:47
    So, if i drank four pints of larger shandy, and drove would i be over the limit. As it would in reality just be two normal pints of larger.
    Depends how much food you'd eaten of course

Use Hoopers Hooch alcoholic lemonade. It'll save you the trouble of getting your calculator out.

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf1927 wrote on Sat, 24 January 2015 22:44
    Impossible, If I put lemonade into a lager of 9% it is going to be half the volume or less depending on how much lemonade?

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob wrote on Sat, 24 January 2015 22:52
    Impossible, If I put lemonade into a lager of 9% it is going to be half the volume or less depending on how much lemonade?
    It all depends on the total volume. If it's 9% and 4.5 units that is a 500cl can. If you dilute it but still drink the whole can, the units stay the same. If you drink half the can with half lemonade, then the units are halved.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob wrote on Sat, 24 January 2015 22:42
    If I have a can of Tennant's Super straight, in a glass it comes in at what it says on the can right, 9% vol and 4.5 units of alcohol.
    I'm struggling to believe that you were seriously asking that question.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob wrote on Sat, 24 January 2015 22:52
    Ok, you have one 500ml can of 9% lager. You decide to mix it half and half with lemonade. That gives you 1000ml of shandy containing 500ml lager and 500ml lemonade. If you drink all of the lager, you can mix it with whatever non-alcoholic liquid you like, you will still have drunk the whole can of lager.

Percentage wise yes its weaker. The alcohol content of tenants is 9% of the total volume. By topping up the total volume you are reducing the percentage of alcohol. However, the alcohol is still there, its just spread out more. If you drink all the drink you'll still be drinking all 4.5 units

Cheers, not showing my Mrs this now. Ffs

Tastes like top deck shandy though

Quote Originally Posted by kevinNugentsHead wrote on Sun, 25 January 2015 00:26
    However, what if I were to put half lemonade to half Tennants super to equal measures?
    So if I drank say 15 cans of top deck shandy back when we had our school disco I would have eventually drank the equivalent of a at least 1 real can of weak lager?

Also if I poured a half pint of pure 40% alcohol into a glass say vodka, then I added the exact same amount of, for arguments sake , 14% wine into the same glass , this obviously wouldn't then be 54% alcohol would it?
    What percentage would it be? less than 40% my guess?

Im no mathematician, but for these questions you just need to be human.

Your 14% wine wouldnt make it 54% as you are diluting your 40% alcohol but it doesnt make it better for you, you just have more volume of your strange vodka wine mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob wrote on Sun, 25 January 2015 14:06
    Also if I poured a half pint of pure 40% alcohol into a glass say vodka, then I added the exact same amount of, for arguments sake , 14% wine into the same glass , this obviously wouldn't then be 54% alcohol would it?
    I must say Bob this is genius marketing for your taxi services.

I made a Blackberry infused Vodka in a kilner jar with a 70cl bottle of 40% vodka and filled up the kilner jar with hand picked blackberries two thirds of the way high.
    Then added a half a cup of sugar and shook the kilner frantically every day for 3 weeks until the flavour from the blackberries and sugar had all infused the whole bottle of vodka i had added.
    Once i strained off the blackberries and poured the remaining vodka back into the original bottle i left it for a few weeks until christmas,
    Had a party on boxing day and had a big 8 litre kilner jar with a tap built into it, so i decided to use my vodka i had made along with 4 bottles of Apple and Blackberry wine i had also made, and poured them into the huge kilner jar along with fresh pineapple pieces and sliced oranges etc.
    Was just wondering if it came down in volume, my mrs thought it would be the combined volume of all the drinks bless her.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob wrote on Sun, 25 January 2015 14:37
    I made a Blackberry infused Vodka in a kilner jar with a 70cl bottle of 40% vodka and filled up the kilner jar with hand picked blackberries two thirds of the way high.
    So what are your hobbies Bob?

Depends how strong the lemonade is - usually it adds around 0.2 units to an average pint. You can cancel out the additional alcohol with 25ml of mescal, or a quart of rum.