+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The new school grading

The new school grading

Is the new colour code grading in operation and if so how can you check your local schools grade?

Re: The new school grading

I wouldn't read too much into it. It's a crude means of assessing schools against an arbitrary set of standards used by Welsh Labour.

I'm opposed to this, which adds a lot of pressure on schools to reach statistics, at the expense of quality teaching.

The reality is that teachers deal with kids that are abused, kids that have mental problems, kids that barely speak English. Their love and intervention at this stage in their life is crucial, but it is now discouraged and sacrificed at the altar of performance in exams...and we saw yesterday in Newport the problem of that (teacher providing answers to children to aid results)

Bit of background - my wife has been kicked twice by a 5 year old in recent weeks. She requested his suspension, but it hasn't happened because it would impact on statistics. So when you wonder where respect and discipline are..look at things like this.

Likewise, if you are a working class family and can only afford a holiday in term time..no chance. That impacts upon attendance figures.

We need to stress the importance that parents play in education and not place everything on schools and not assess them on crude quantitative factors.

This is Welsh Labour for you. Crude, politically motivated and destined to fail. And no, the Tories in England are no better either.

In school, work, football .... it's all stats really

My mrs is a teacher & all the parties are as bad as each other. The Conservatives will always keep the private education ticking over ! Every child knows their human rights & are cannot be disciplined properly

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales wrote on Fri, 30 January 2015 11:10
    I wouldn't read too much into it. It's a crude means of assessing schools against an arbitrary set of standards used by Welsh Labour.
    Also just say your taking the kids back to Pakistan for 4 weeks to see the family, it seems to be exempt from fines as well in the schools I know people teach in.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith wrote on Fri, 30 January 2015 11:15
    I'm opposed to this, which adds a lot of pressure on schools to reach statistics, at the expense of quality teaching.
    You are probably right in terms of trips to Pakistan etc - yet another example of poor policy that creates mistrust and unfairness in the system.

We had a meeting at my kids school about this last week, from what the head was saying its a £60 fine and you will only be fined once, so a complete no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie wrote on Fri, 30 January 2015 11:34
    Bit of background - my wife has been kicked twice by a 5 year old in recent weeks. She requested his suspension, but it hasn't happened because it would impact on statistics. So when you wonder where respect and discipline are..look at things like this.
    I would tolerate a weeks 'leave', speak to the parent about some work to emenate from the holiday and avoid the costs associated with such a stupid, infantile and pointless policy.

However 1 holiday and you are immediately be hit with the fine despite the fact apart from that 1 week your attendance is 100%

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales wrote on Fri, 30 January 2015 11:36
    Likewise, if you are a working class family and can only afford a holiday in term time..no chance. That impacts upon attendance figures.
    By doing what they are doing they effectively push holiday prices up further, and practically eliminate the benefits that a family holiday can bring.

If my kids were building up to exams I may think differently. As it is ,if I take him out last week of term for a cheaper holiday he misses a week of colouring in.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie wrote on Fri, 30 January 2015 11:40
    We need to stress the importance that parents play in education and not place everything on schools and not assess them on crude quantitative factors.
    If only the teachers actually taught in the last couple of weeks of the summer term then I wouldn't mind, but when my son comes home from school and he reply to me asking 'what have you learnt today?' and his reply is 'nothing, we watched a film', then its a bit of a pisser that I cant take him on holiday without the fear of a fine.

In my experience - bad parents produce bad kids, parents who dont read or help with their child's education produce children who under achieve. In my kids school all the kids are actively encourage to compete against each other in teams. If the children do well they go and have dinner with the head mistress - if they dont so well the parents are told and it's monitored to make sure they progress.

Cardiff High School in the green band