+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FAO Plumbers/Boiler fitters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FAO Plumbers/Boiler fitters

Great timing, but the boiler needs replacing.

We have had a bucket catching the dripping water for 2 weeks now, but needs replacing ASAP.

How much roughly for someone to get the boiler (been told to get a baxi as fits budget and is decent) and fit it?

Prices seem to differ depending on who we ask, from 1400-2600.

Any help would be great

Re: FAO Plumbers/Boiler fitters

Quote Originally Posted by Rumney-Coleman wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 12:22
    Best of luck with it. Miserable time for a boiler to fail...

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 12:27
    We have had a bucket catching the dripping water for 2 weeks now, but needs replacing ASAP.
    Flue often costs more than the boiler? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by ElyBlueAJ wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 13:01
    Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 12:27
    How much roughly for someone to get the boiler (been told to get a baxi as fits budget and is decent) and fit it?
    Allegedly. I've questioned a number of plumbers on this and it seems to be correct - though I still think they're just ripping me off as my flue didn't need to go very far.

Make your life easier and keep it in the same position and approx the same size.

Costs depends on the boiler you go for - average is about 600-700 and a like for like replacement cost is about 400.

Get the boiler yourself somewhere like Cardiff Heating Components on Cowbridge Road or the place over by the magic roundabout - cant remember what it's called now.

Dont fall for the routine where a plumber / heating engineer charges the same price to fit as the cost of boiler itself. So they'll charge 900 to fit a 900 boiler

Baxi are average boilers which I only fit now in landlord properties.
    Imo the best boilers are Viessmann and fitted correctly on clean systems will last for years.

Worcester are overpriced plastic shoite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiffcityplumber wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 12:58
    Great - now I find out...

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiffcityplumber wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 12:58
    How much would you say it costs to purchase and fit a boiler? Just roughly. Its in the same place so no moving around?

What type of boiler? Combi,system or heat only?

We have a very old worcester,(30 years or so according to google haha) I think its a system boiler, whereby there is a water tank above aswell? Its to replace it with a combi boiler in the same location.

We have 5 raditors and a shower that runs off it, shower is a valve shower.

^ Fitted a Worcester in my house.

Mrs Bluebird won a Viessmann boiler, but we can't find someone in Cardiff able to fit it

Which model?
    Go on viessmann site and search for approved installers. You may even get me😎

I have a Worcester Heatslave Highflow, running 15 rads.

It is approx 25 years old, and I'm thinking of changing it in the spring, I've had a couple of 'filling loops' fitted over the years, and it's started making a weird noise lately!

I'm happy where it is, and I'm hoping to swap like for like, (it's about the size of a washing machine),do they still make this type, or is it worth my while getting a Viessmann?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiffcityplumber wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 15:40
    Which model?
    Send me a private message, we might be able to do a deal

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiffcityplumber wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 15:40
    Which model?
    Not sure, I'm in the US for another 3 weeks, will try once I'm back.

Our Baxi back boiler is thirty years old and still going strong. My mate services it annually and he says they're so basic there's very little that can go wrong with them. His boiler is a thirty year old floor mounted Stelrad and he refuses to change it, he says the modern condensing boilers are shite and even the best ones won't last much more than ten years.

Well my mate reckons your mate is wrong👍

Our is a worcester, and is 30 odd years old. Stil going strong, but is leaking and the guy said it will cost just as much to replace that part as putting in a new boiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumney-Coleman wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 14:42
    Our is a worcester, and is 30 odd years old. Stil going strong, but is leaking and the guy said it will cost just as much to replace that part as putting in a new boiler.
    turn the water off at the mains