+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Are we better than we were 10 years ago?

Are we better than we were 10 years ago?

Obviously under Jones in 2005 we were relatively new to the league but as I remember it we steadily grew season on season. But before the exciting times when (imo) we played our best football of recent years with Chopra, Bothroyd, Burke ect. we were no great shakes.
    The question is, after progress being made season on season for the last 10 years or so it is obvious we have gone backwards recently, but would this new Slade side beat Dave Jones' side from all those years back? Have we progressed?
    I'd argue that as a club we've moved on, certainly in our ambitions, but I'm just hoping that the new signings can prove to make us competitive again!

Re: Are we better than we were 10 years ago?

Moving on 'in terms of ambition' is not really moving on - not if the ambitions seem unrealistic.

Expectations over where we should 'rightly' be seem higher than they were a few years ago.

I'd say that the recent signings by Slade ought to get us back to where we were around ten years ago - Champ Mid-table slogggers.

Not much to show for several of those years spent as an embarrassing circus act, resulting in apparently 120+ mil of debt owed to a potentially vindictive owner eh?

No, The 2005 team would beat the current team probably 7 times out of 10 I reckon. At least they had a pattern to play to and weren't too bad. That was the year we went to Arsenal in Jan 06 and lost 1-2 and had Loovens, Cox, Alexander, Weston, Whitley , Ledley etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 wrote on Fri, 06 February 2015 13:08
    No, The 2005 team would beat the current team probably 7 times out of 10 I reckon. At least they had a pattern to play to and weren't too bad. That was the year we went to Arsenal in Jan 06 and lost 1-2 and had Loovens, Cox, Alexander, Weston, Whitley , Ledley etc.
    If you're talking strictly 10 years ago season-wise, we're talking about the 2004/05 team. Nailed on 0-0 draw...

Quote Originally Posted by saganspirit wrote on Fri, 06 February 2015 13:20
    If you're talking strictly 10 years ago season-wise, we're talking about the 2004/05 team. Nailed on 0-0 draw...
    Crikey both those sides would give the current team a good spanking, probably 9 times out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 wrote on Fri, 06 February 2015 14:19
    Quote Originally Posted by saganspirit wrote on Fri, 06 February 2015 13:20
    But Dave Jones was not manager until 05/6 , so 04/5 is strictly 10 years ago, but 05/6 is 10 seasons ago, they being the 10th season since then.
    Yeah, it was a (bad) joke about the 0-0 draw.