+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Quinton Fortune

Quinton Fortune

Re: Quinton Fortune

Kevin Nicholson has taken his place. In internal promotion. Don't know how significant this is.

I'd forgotten he was even at the Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith wrote on Mon, 09 February 2015 17:49
    Has left! Tragedy!
    Could start a chain reaction

Didn't know he was here? Our youth side seems to have impressed this season though so it might be bad news, is this the first example of the dog wagging the tail?

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 01:14
    Didn't know he was here? Our youth side seems to have impressed this season though so it might be bad news, is this the first example of the dog wagging the tail?
    He was an under 21 coach, not a youth coach.

On paper it looks like a crafty way of demoting Terroso without changing his job description but the timing would beggar belief as Terroso had just taken a threadbare DVP team back to the top of the league a couple of hours earlier.Nothing would surprise me here though.

Its pointless to speculate but I'm going to anyway.I reckon there are 2 main possibilities.

1)Tan loves Slade and genuinely wants him as a long term manager.Slade and Terroso have clashed over playing styles,the club has backed Slade and sent one of his men in to take over the DVP set-up and get them playing in the Slade 'style'.

2)Now Slade has done the dirty work of cutting the squad and wages he has to start improving things on the pitch or his position is vulnerable.The club have identified Nicholson and Terroso as outstanding young coaches and are teaming them up as a potential internal replacement for Slade and Young.

I believe 1 but want to believe 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 08:46
    Let's hope not.Its an interesting development though.Fortune was Terroso's assistant,his job has now gone and a new job has been created above Terroso which has been given to one of Slade's match day team.
    Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 09:33
    Quote Originally Posted by Loramski wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 08:46
    Let's hope not.Its an interesting development though.Fortune was Terroso's assistant,his job has now gone and a new job has been created above Terroso which has been given to one of Slade's match day team.
    It'll be interesting to see what TOBW makes of it.

The DVP team have been told in no uncertain teams they need to start replicating the style of play of the first team and start hitting long balls into the channels.

Terrors and the young players are apparently very unhappy about this.

I think this appointment is about reinforcing the first team style on our youth set up that in the main has been developing around a passing/ possession game

The DVP team have been told in no uncertain teams they need to start replicating the style of play of the first team and start hitting long balls into the channels.

Terrors and the young players are apparently very unhappy about this.

I think this appointment is about reinforcing the first team style on our youth set up that in the main has been developing around a passing/ possession game

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 11:23
    Regarding Loramski's two options outlined earlier, based on the little I've seen so far, I'll opt for the glass half full one - I like what I've seen of Terroso and I'm presuming that Nicholson must have been doing well at the Academy to have got involved with the first team so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 09:19
    Its pointless to speculate but I'm going to anyway.I reckon there are 2 main possibilities.
    That first option is quite scary, I can see the future rugby talent of the area turning up at our academy for trials after seeing an advertising hoarding at the ground to play the Slade way.

What really is Slade's playing style and where did the 'rumours' about the DVP and u18s being told to play more direct come from?

I understood that Slade was known at Orient for playing football not hoofball, and that he said a few days ago (as the window closed and Doyle and McAleny were signed) that he wanted to concentrate more on passing and possession.

I may be naive on this, but isn't the direct style of the last 3-4 months or so more down to a weak midfield (that Slade hasn't sorted out), an inability to keep the ball, and a desperate 'get it up to Kenwyne' philosophy? It may be a short term pragmatic way of trying to scrape a few points whilst he felt the balance and make-up of the team was wrong, rather than a preference for that style of play.

It doesn't excuse the inability or unwillingness to tackle the midfield and possession problems, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 12:46
    Quote Originally Posted by Loramski wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 09:19
    1)Tan loves Slade and genuinely wants him as a long term manager.Slade and Terroso have clashed over playing styles,the club has backed Slade and sent one of his men in to take over the DVP set-up and get them playing in the Slade 'style'.
    Absolutely.It'd be pointless for the DVP team to try it anyway,they haven't got a Kenwyne to hoof it up to and I don't think they've even got two forwards left to play a 4-4-2 at present.Results are good and players are being developed for senior teams,it would be crazy to change it.The club does do crazy though which is a worry.Let's just hope it's option 2.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 14:48
    What really is Slade's playing style and where did the 'rumours' about the DVP and u18s being told to play more direct come from?
    That's what I was saying first of all, but what I saw against Reading (twice), Rotherham, Brentford, Watford (especially in the second half) and Fulham was painful, especially as we were at home where you'd think the onus would be on us to play a bit of football. Derby was better as far as getting the ball down and playing was concerned, but the way Slade stuck with an approach that was awful to watch while also being almost wholly unsuccessful, has made me much less inclined to defend him.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 14:48
    As if anyone gets into football management with the desire to make his team boot the ball up in the air for 90 minutes each week. You play as your resources determine. Footballing sides (unless really good) don't tend to achieve much in the championship. When we went up under Malky most of our fans would have loved us to play like Watford, they got pipped to the post by Hull and city, two of the most conservative teams in the league and it is no surprise.

Did you just make that up?

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 16:35
    What
    No I didn't make it up