+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: SOCRATES?

SOCRATES?

Socrates famously said that the unexamined life is not worth living. But was he right? Would it not be best to live our lives on the basis of what our parents tell us, or what our religion tells us? Or even what our friends tell us? Whadya think?

Re: SOCRATES?

I got his autograph when Wales played Brazil at Ninian Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Mon, 09 February 2015 22:00
    Socrates famously said that the unexamined life is not worth living. But was he right? Would it not be best to live our lives on the basis of what our parents tell us, or what our religion tells us? Or even what our friends tell us? Whadya think?
    Why do you suggest that it would be best to do that?

Blog Entries

I think we should bring back Blue Plato to answer ( remember his betting system ? ).

Failing that post when sober.

He said nothing of the sort. He quite possibly didn't even exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 00:43
    He probably did exist. He's accounted for not just by Plato but by many other philosophers of the time.

I think that this statement points out the uniqueness of the human kind due to its ability to investigate life and by that to investigate itself. Without an investigation of this kind (in any form of it) one's life turns out to be very similar to an animal's life, which basically focus on the effort to provide itself with the basic needs. Don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by calonlan wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 06:34
    He probably did exist. He's accounted for not just by Plato but by many other philosophers of the time.
    As far as his philosophy goes, it doesn't matter if he existed or not. This Temujin chappie just wanted to show off that he is aware that it is a possibility that Socrates is a figment of Plato's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jaffa1 wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 07:46
    As far as his philosophy goes, it doesn't matter if he existed or not. This Temujin chappie just wanted to show off that he is aware that it is a possibility that Socrates is a figment of Plato's mind.
    Blue Plato, you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 12:53
    Blue Plato, you mean?
    Glad you remember him too TBJ.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Mon, 09 February 2015 22:45
    I think we should bring back Blue Plato to answer ( remember his betting system ? ).
    Funnily enough Blue Plato and his 'system' were never seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by calonlan wrote on Mon, 09 February 2015 22:19
    Why do you suggest that it would be best to do that?
    I don't believe this to be best; I'm just trying to provoke a debate.

If he 'quite possibly' did not exist then how can you claim that he said nothing of the sort? Anyway, if he didn't exist, then we must question Plato's sanity - not you Blue Plato.

Everyone should have a window on themselves i.e. be able to see themselves as others may see them.

Those who don't are usually shytes in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 07:17
    I think that this statement points out the uniqueness of the human kind due to its ability to investigate life and by that to investigate itself. Without an investigation of this kind (in any form of it) one's life turns out to be very similar to an animal's life, which basically focus on the effort to provide itself with the basic needs. Don't you think?
    I posed this question because I don't think many of us reflect on our lives that much - including me. But just over two years ago I did start to reflect on what I wanted most out of what is left of my life - and ended up in Gwynedd - a salutary tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R wrote on Mon, 09 February 2015 22:44
    I read that somewhere.

As for 'he said nothing of the sort'. That's becaise anything we know of him come directly from Plato. PLato was the writer and philosopher SOCRATES wrote nothing and there aren't even any ancient contemporary pics or quotes or busts etc. Except from Plato.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 17:54
    Of course he is accounted for by Plato, he's Plato's invention. The others simply re-iterate Plato.
    There is a bust of Socrates I think - and he is UGLY. Of course Socrates would be the first to say that we cannot know that he existed or that he said anything. If he did exist, then he is reported to have said: 'All I know is that I know nothing'.

A true philosopher would not be interested in whether he existed or not but would ask 'what do you mean by exist?'

Of course he is accounted for by Plato, he's Plato's invention. The others simply re-iterate Plato.
    No,he was referred to by others such as Xenophon but, as pointed out above, it doesn't matter whether or not he existed. If the Socratic dialogues were the invention of Plato, their existence are of great importance to the history and development of Western philosophy. Likewise, whether or not the historical Jesus really existed does not affect the huge influence of Christianity on the world today.

Quote Originally Posted by calonlan wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 18:27
    As for 'he said nothing of the sort'. That's becaise anything we know of him come directly from Plato. PLato was the writer and philosopher SOCRATES wrote nothing and there aren't even any ancient contemporary pics or quotes or busts etc. Except from Plato.
    But I have to admit that I don't really know - just as I don't know if the Americans really landed on the moon - they probably did but I simply can't claim to KNOW that they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 19:09
    No,he was referred to by others such as Xenophon but, as pointed out above, it doesn't matter whether or not he existed. If the Socratic dialogues were the invention of Plato, their existence are of great importance to the history and development of Western philosophy. Likewise, whether or not the historical Jesus really existed does not affect the huge influence of Christianity on the world today.
    I don't think Plato had any interest in proving whether or not Socrates did exist. Socrates was a machine to put forward Plato's own philosophy. Whether he was a real man who mentored Plato or a construct designed to suit Plato's dialogical style of argument is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by calonlan wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 19:18
    Also - we don't know from Plato's writings how much of this is him and how much is Socrates (assuming that he did exist). But if you think about it, if Plato had been describing the works of a fictitious philosopher - someone would have challenged this - and I don't know of any disputes among philosophers about the existence of Socrates.
    I didn't mean to suggest that Plato had any interest in proving the existence of Socrates. Plato was one of Socrates' pupils and he was right pissed when the Athenian democracy tried him for corrupting the young - and for being critical of the democracy. Plato was no fan of democracy either and wanted philosophers to rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 19:28
    Quote Originally Posted by calonlan wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 19:18
    Also - we don't know from Plato's writings how much of this is him and how much is Socrates (assuming that he did exist). But if you think about it, if Plato had been describing the works of a fictitious philosopher - someone would have challenged this - and I don't know of any disputes among philosophers about the existence of Socrates.
    But I have to admit that I don't really know - just as I don't know if the Americans really landed on the moon - they probably did but I simply can't claim to KNOW that they did.
    Plato was no democrat, that's for sure.