+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Viewing the game from near the dugout

Viewing the game from near the dugout

My usual seat is in the Ninian Stand but a few times a season I take guests in to the corporate areas which means we are seated directly behind the home dugout and can clearly see what is done and hear what is said.

Last night was a corporate night and reinforced what I had witnessed at previous games from the same vantage point , in that neither Russell Slade nor Scott Young appear to make any kind of contribution to team tactics , encouragement or guidance during the game. RS spends most of the time fairly motionless with his arms folded and in virtual silence in the technical area. SY does the same from the entrance tunnel. Last night , the only people who seemed to make any effort to encourage or change things were Martyn Margetson and a young lad who I didn`t recognise but who appears to be part of the coaching team.

Also noticeable is the look of disinterest from the substitutes sat there broken by the occasional glances between them of despair at some of the lack of skills and application on the pitch by players who are keeping them out of the manager`s first choice starting eleven.

I get the impression that very few , if any of them, rate RS or SY as managers/coaches and the automatic selection of a few individuals who consistently underperform must be an adverse factor in dressing room harmony at a time when a united squad is needed for what now seems an inevitable relegation battle.

Re: Viewing the game from near the dugout

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 wrote on Wed, 11 February 2015 11:48
    My usual seat is in the Ninian Stand but a few times a season I take guests in to the corporate areas which means we are seated directly behind the home dugout and can clearly see what is done and hear what is said.
    B 2 B.

His apparent disinterest can be seen from all over the ground.The folded arms stance drives me demented.Gives a dreadful impression-CLEARLY HASN'T BEEN TOLD THAT BODY LANGUAGE SPEAKS VOLUMES.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN wrote on Wed, 11 February 2015 11:52
    His apparent disinterest can be seen from all over the ground.The folded arms stance drives me demented.Gives a dreadful impression-CLEARLY HASN'T BEEN TOLD THAT BODY LANGUAGE SPEAKS VOLUMES.
    It`s not just the body language. He seldom speaks to the rest of his coaching staff or the players on the pitch.Give him a fishing rod and he would be doing a great garden gnome impression

FAO YOUNG and SLADE

I had a similar seating point to Since62 a few games back.

You (Slade) did nothing re communication with the players - it was only Scott Young that seemed to be doing any talking.

BUT obviously whatever it was he was saying was either wrong or had no effect.

Slade as we know as no championship experience despite having 300+ league games under his belt. Scott Young as we know game from the development / kids team as had no 1st team experience either - coaching or managing.

I am all for promoting from within and giving 'up and coming' managers a chance - but really Young and Slade are way way way WAY the wrong choice and out of their depth.

FAO Scott Young - Man up and realise it's beyond you - go back - and get some real experience at another club and then come back.

I've never unerstood people's desire to see a manager waving his arms about and shouting instructions for 90 minutes. It was a criticism often levelled at Dave Jones when he was here too. It just isn't in some people's make up. If a manager wants to stand quietly, watching and thinking about the game I haven't got a problem with that.

Steve McLaren is a good example of a manager who doesn't even sit in the dug out for most of the game. Look where his team are in the table.

If you havent got a manager who is a leader in the dug out - then you sure as hell need one on the pitch.

We have neither. If you are a 'thinker' and getting results - fair enough - you are the new Wenger - but if you are getting beat every game - then obviously your tactics, motivation is WRONG and should be changed - how do you think those changes should be conveyed to the team - whilst a game is in progress ?

Maybe we should hire Uri fecking Geller

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Blue wrote on Wed, 11 February 2015 12:18
    I've never unerstood people's desire to see a manager waving his arms about and shouting instructions for 90 minutes. It was a criticism often levelled at Dave Jones when he was here too. It just isn't in some people's make up. If a manager wants to stand quietly, watching and thinking about the game I haven't got a problem with that.
    I think people are referring more to the fact that he doesn't appear to give encouragement or proper instructions to players when things are piss poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Blue wrote on Wed, 11 February 2015 12:18
    if players have no respect for the manager it doesnt matter what he does

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Wed, 11 February 2015 12:26
    If you havent got a manager who is a leader in the dug out - then you sure as hell need one on the pitch.
    As you say though, we definitely need a leader (or three or four) on the pitch.

Someone said in another thread that Slade isn't selecting the team

I get the impression that very few , if any of them, rate RS or SY as managers/coaches
    I don't like him. He may be in a difficult position, but he's not even trying. He's a fraudster. Get out Slade, you mug.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Wed, 11 February 2015 12:57
    I get the impression that very few , if any of them, rate RS or SY as managers/coaches
    I'll leave Young out of it, but can someone please find anybody, anywhere, that rates Slade as a manager? I don't think many City fans do. I highly doubt that the City players do. Orient seemed to be glad to get rid of him. How on earth did he win manager of the season?! It's baffling.
    As i see it the issue at the club goes a bit further that the guy appointed first team manger. We have now seen a manager marked as a great prospect look a complete mug, and a manager who has a decent record at a lower level look a complete idiot as well, i would suggest that whoever we appoint next will go the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue wrote on Wed, 11 February 2015 12:46
    Last night was a corporate night and reinforced what I had witnessed at previous games from the same vantage point , in that neither Russell Slade nor Scott Young appear to make any kind of contribution to team tactics , encouragement or guidance during the game. RS spends most of the time fairly motionless with his arms folded and in virtual silence in the technical area. SY does the same from the entrance tunnel. Last night , the only people who seemed to make any effort to encourage or change things were Martyn Margetson and a young lad who I didn`t recognise but who appears to be part of the coaching team.
    It's almost as if the team is selected in order of who earns the most.....

Spedger

Re: FAO YOUNG and SLADE

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Wed, 11 February 2015 12:16
    I had a similar seating point to Since62 a few games back.
    I'm not Russell Slade.

Ideally the manager should do very very little during the game. All the preparation should have been done, the players should know their jobs and just get on with it.

Any idiot could stand there screaming instructions his players can't hear and changing formation every 5 minutes but would that work?

The problem with slade and us is there is no evidence the players have any idea what they are supposed to be doing- and any amount of waving arms frantically during the game won't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 wrote on Wed, 11 February 2015 12:12
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN wrote on Wed, 11 February 2015 11:52
    It`s not just the body language. He seldom speaks to the rest of his coaching staff or the players on the pitch.Give him a fishing rod and he would be doing a great garden gnome impression
    Funnily enough exactly what my cousin said last night.He can stay out of my garden though!!!

Maurinio does it, AVB does it, Rodgers does it, Allaydyce does it - I wouldnt follow their lead though as they havent got a clue what they are doing most of the time