+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City's best and worst halves of football 2014/15.

Cardiff City's best and worst halves of football 2014/15.

Just a few words of explanation first - I've gone for halves of football rather than whole games to make sure there were some nominations in the best category. Also, I've limited it to league games, so very strong contenders for the worst award like the first half against Bournemouth and the second half against Reading are not included.

Best forty five minutes of the season.

The nominations are;-

First half against Huddersfield.
    First half against Norwich (H).
    First half against Forest.
    Second half against Ipswich.
    Second half against Leeds.
    Second half at Bournemouth.
    Second half against Norwich (A).

And the winner is.........

First half against Norwich at home - in the first half an hour, it looked as if, for the only time in his nine months at City, Ole's scattergun approach might work. We played good quality football which was entertaining to watch, but the last fifteen minutes saw Norwich begin to dominate as they went on to record what was ultimately an easy win - five days later Ole was out of a job.

Worst forty five minutes of the season.

The nominations are;-

Second half at Blackburn.
    First half at Wolves.
    First half at Fulham.
    Second half against Norwich (H).
    First and second half against Middlesbrough (H)
    First half at Derby.
    First and second half at Blackpool.
    Second half at Millwall.
    First half at Bolton.
    First and second half against Reading.
    First and second half against Rotherham.
    First half at Bournemouth.
    First half against Brentford.
    Second half against Charlton.
    Second half against Watford (H).
    First half against Norwich (A).
    Second half against Sheffield Wednesday (A).
    First and second half against Brighton (H).

And the winner is.......

Second half against Reading - so much tougher to pick a winner here. The first half on Tuesday was an outstanding candidate, but, in the end, my choice came down to two halves of football played against ten men that saw us chasing shadows throughout. Reading were in shocking form at the time and were 2-0 down against a side that had won their previous four home matches - what should have been a four or five goal win instead became a nervy, boot it anywhere, affair that saw us cling on to record a win we definitely didn't deserve.

Re: Cardiff City's best and worst halves of football 2014/15.

When I was growing up in Splott/Roath, there was a boy who always used the word "WORSTER"

So with that in mind:-- The WORST half was BEFORE CHRISTMAS and it has been WORSTER since.

Hope this helps.

B 2 B.

That game against Reading won one of my imaginary awards as well - 'The worst win I've ever seen' award.

I agree with you that Norwich 1st half was best. Regarding the worse, there has been so much dross and all that you have given as options are pickable. I will go with both halves against Rotherham.

By the way your Mauveandyellowarmy bulletins are excellant. You should really do that column weekly for the Echo. Tucker and Phillips are quite abysmal.

It is an extraordinary indictment for our season that our best 45 minutes is in fact our best 30 minutes followed by a 15 minutes where we were dominated.

I agree with you about the Reading performance.It was probably the nearest I have come to getting that "Maidstone" feeling even though we had won.

The fact that the second half against Leeds makes the "best" list says a lot. That was a pretty poor half of football really, Leeds were coming back in to the game until they threw it away with some joke defending.

What a terrible, terrible year of football.